collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Repeat For The 'ville?  (Read 1469 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Repeat For The 'ville?
« on: August 28, 2013, 02:49:43 PM »
After-all, they are a "powerhouse"

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9605669/peyton-siva-says-louisville-cardinals-better-more-talented-last-season-title-team

Siva says Louisville will be better in 2013-14

Former Louisville point guard Peyton Siva, who helped lead the Cardinals to the NCAA championship in April, told ESPN.com that this season's team will be "better" and is "more talented" than last season's title-winning squad.

"They really aren't missing anything," said Siva, who signed with the Detroit Pistons last month after being drafted in the second round. "The key for them will be chemistry, because talent-wise, there's nothing to worry about."

Louisville returns starters Russ Smith, Chane Behanan and Wayne Blackshear, along with Final Four Most Outstanding Player Luke Hancock and emerging big man Montrezl Harrell from last season's team that went 35-5 and knocked off Michigan in the national title contest.

Junior college standout Chris Jones is expected to step into Siva's role as the starting point guard, and Louisville coach Rick Pitino told ESPN.com in July that Harrell will replace Gorgui Dieng as the Cardinals' starting center. Louisville also added freshman guards Terry Rozier and Anton Gill.

Siva, who recently watched a couple of workouts when he was back in Louisville, said that Jones and the oft-injured Blackshear will be major surprises this season for the Cards.

"People haven't seen Chris and a lot of people don't know who he is, but he can shoot, can really score and is as quick -- if not quicker than Russ," Siva said. "He's got a bulldog mentality and loves to pick guys up full-court. He's shorter than me, but he's so strong and athletic and won't be pushed around. He can go for 30 any night."

Siva said that Blackshear, who came into college with no shortage of hype three years ago, finally looks healthy and should be a major factor.

"He's finally had a full summer of workouts," Siva said. "The last two summers, he couldn't do anything because of his shoulders. He's a lot slimmer now. We can't call him 'Fat Wayne' anymore. He's got his explosiveness back and is much lighter on his feet."

Siva also was raving about Hancock, who averaged 8.1 points in a reserve role.

"He has so much more confidence and is shooting the ball much better," Siva said. "People forget that he was hurt last year coming into the season with the shoulder injury, and that's why he struggled early shooting the ball. He's pulling up on the break now and making 3s."

Louisville will enter the season as a legitimate candidate to repeat despite the losses of Siva and Dieng, and the uncertainty regarding whether Kevin Ware will be back 100 percent at the start of the season.

"They are loaded," Siva said of his former teammates. "Even more so than last year. I think they have all the pieces to win another championship."

Sunbelt15

• All American
Re: Repeat For The 'ville?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 09:34:44 AM »
Repeat? NOT!!! This is MU's year. Taylor and Duane Wilson is putting is to the record books this year. Yes, a freshman and a sophomore will run thangs!!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 09:42:24 AM »
Repeat? NOT!!! This is MU's year. Taylor and Duane Wilson is putting is to the record books this year. Yes, a freshman and a sophomore will run thangs!!

For a national championship???  Love the optimism.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 10:04:28 AM »

And here is where I throw out the cautionary wet blanket.   And I will do it, oddly enough with the latest MU alum to sign an NBA contract, Trent Lockett.    Trent came to MU as a 4th year senior with a history of playing at a high level.   For the non-conference portion of the season, he did not play well.   He got his shot blocked repeatedly in traffic, he turned the ball over a lot, he got beat defensively several different ways, he committed bad defensive plays at the end of regulation.   This was a smart kid, an experienced player, a hard worker and a high character guy.   He struggled to adapt to Buzz's system.   Now he has an NBA contract.
    I believe that DuWilson, Dawson, Burton, and McKay are all good players and will get better during their time at MU.   To believe that they are going to come in and have that kind of immediate impact is way overoptimistic.    I hope I am wrong.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 02:26:06 PM »

I really liked our chances when the season ended. Those hopes took a huge hit when Blue declared. I know Buzz's teams have to overcome losses every year, but losing a certain all-conference and possible All-American is a huge loss. We were already going to have trouble with the other half of our backcourt graduating, but we're going to need some serious overachieving at the 1 and 2 if we want to challenge for a NC.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 02:30:12 PM »
Mayo is the x factor here in my opinion... he has all the talent, it's just will he be consistent and step up to lead the team like Vander did
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

feedback