'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MU82
[Today at 12:03:03 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Fox Sports 1 strikes deals with DirecTV, Dish and TWC  (Read 24067 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Fox Sports 1 strikes deals with DirecTV, Dish and TWC
« on: August 14, 2013, 05:55:55 PM »
Already had deals with Comcast, Cablevision, Charter, Cox, Verizon and AT&T.
Glad that's out of the way.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-fox-sports-distribution-20130814,0,5466870.story

Groin_pull

• All American
Re: Fox Sports 1 strikes deals with DirecTV, Dish and TWC
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 06:03:29 PM »
Good news. I want FS1 at full strength when it goes after ESPN.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 08:15:37 PM »
DirecTV, Time Warner Cable and Bright House Networks are likely to carry Fox Sports 1 at its launch on Saturday, according to sources with direct knowledge of the deals. The three distributors still have not signed deals to carry the channel, but the sources expect all three providers to have it available on Saturday.

Dish Network did not respond to email requests for comment. But sources said they expected Dish to carry the channel, as well. The Los Angeles Times is reporting that Dish Network has agreed to carry FS1 at launch.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 08:17:14 PM »
Who cares about Aug.17th, because the network really gets going Labor Day weekend as college football starts. Thur, Fri & 3 games on Saturday.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

source?

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 08:21:05 PM »
Who cares about Aug.17th, because the network really gets going Labor Day weekend as college football starts. Thur, Fri & 3 games on Saturday.

I'd imagine my fellow UFC fans care a great deal about Aug. 17th. We are a niche audience, but there are probably 3-4 million of us nationwide.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 09:33:58 PM »
I'd imagine my fellow UFC fans care a great deal about Aug. 17th. We are a niche audience, but there are probably 3-4 million of us nationwide.

You need a few more million to be a niche.  NASCAR is a niche.  UFC is more like a cult.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 09:57:26 PM »

3-4million And people say its overtaking boxing...
Maigh Eo for Sam

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 12:16:09 AM »
So, what package of TWC do you all think FS1 will be included with?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 12:23:37 AM »
Already had deals with Comcast, Cablevision, Charter, Cox, Verizon and AT&T.
Glad that's out of the way.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-fox-sports-distribution-20130814,0,5466870.story

Technically, no...but it will be on the air come Saturday while the deal is completed over the next few weeks and months.  Basically far enough along on the main issues to green light it, but usually in these situations a deal is done before launching....exception to the rule.  Happy for everyone.

denverMU

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 12:52:17 AM »
What channel is it on Direct TV?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 05:56:08 AM »

Should slot in wherever Speed is now, with FS2 taking the spot of Fuel.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 11:37:26 AM »
I'm noticing that in the TWC/JBC lockout, the public "outrage" seems more directed at the distributor than the broadcaster.  But when it comes to ____________(distributor) vs. FS1, the public is siding with the distributors.

Anyone else seeing it differently?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 11:39:47 AM »

Something like 609 - with FS2 on 618.  (You don't need the sports pack to get them though.)

Chicos, will they get to move it nearer to the other sports channels in the low 200s? 

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 12:37:36 PM »
It's probably because I've never been a Time Warner customer, but I clicked on this to find out why FS1 would need to strike a deal with The Weather Channel...
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 01:21:28 PM »
So, what package of TWC do you all think FS1 will be included with?

Starting August 17, tune in to FOX Sports 1 on Time Warner Cable channel 75 / 1317 (hd)! And watch FOX Sports 2 on channel 328!

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 02:34:22 PM »
Channel 652 on U-verse.

Looking forward to it.  I hope they really provide a viable alternative to ESPN.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 02:43:33 PM »

Something like 609 - with FS2 on 618.  (You don't need the sports pack to get them though.)

Chicos, will they get to move it nearer to the other sports channels in the low 200s? 

I just checked the FS1 website, and at least for my geographic area, it's listed as 219 on DirecTV.  I suspect they'll want it to be in the same place everywhere, if it isn't already.

Tigidal

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 02:56:18 PM »
The new league and coverage are great and all, but is there a better reason to find out what channel FS1 is going to be...  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw8o8UFDsVU

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2013, 03:00:38 PM »
This is very good news. Glad it got done.

Next step: Have an ESPN3-like situation in place so we can watch games online that are not available over the air.

I got very, very spoiled the last couple of years being able to watch every MU game!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2013, 03:03:04 PM »
I just checked the FS1 website, and at least for my geographic area, it's listed as 219 on DirecTV.  I suspect they'll want it to be in the same place everywhere, if it isn't already.

OK cool.  Hopefully that will be the same everywhere.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2013, 03:52:44 PM »

OK cool.  Hopefully that will be the same everywhere.

I assume so. I think the DirecTV channel lineup is national.
And that's good news for FS1 to be with all the other major sports networks and not stuck in the 600s with horse racing and deer hunting channels.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2013, 04:01:11 PM »

What is going to happen to MAVTV which is currently on 219?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2013, 04:06:02 PM »
What is going to happen to MAVTV which is currently on 219?

214...according to this.

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/mavtv-changing-to-channel-214-on-directv/

FS2 is apparently going to stay in Fuel's old position at 618.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2013, 07:38:37 PM »
DirecTV, Dish Network and Time Warner Cable agreed to carry the new, heavily promoted all-sports channel, but only at the same rate they were paying for the previous channel, Speed, which cost $0.23 per subscriber per month. Fox told the distributors that it would convert Speed into FS1 and allow distributors with existing Speed deals to carry it at Speed’s rate, or at least close to it, according to multiple sources with direct knowledge of the talks.

Read the full story.
None of the distributors would comment beyond official statements. Importantly, none of the statements from these distributors referenced any new “deals” for FS1 signifying a change of contract. For example, Cox spokesman Todd Smith emailed: “On August 17, Speed will automatically convert to the new national 24/7 channel, Fox Sports 1, and Fox is rebranding Fuel Network to Fox Sports 2.” A statement from TWC read simply, “Time Warner Cable will carry FS1 when it launches on August 17.” All these statements came as Fox put out a statement that stated its new network would launch “with every major distributor on board.” Fox declined to comment any further.

The move by Fox could cause major ripples in sports media, as the company chose to give on pricing instead of waging high-profile carriage battles with many of the top distributors at the same time. This marks a sharp change in strategy for the programmer, which had been seeking around $0.80 per subscriber per month for the new channel. Because that rate is more than three times higher than Speed’s, distributors strongly balked. Already frustrated by the high cost of sports rights, distributors forcefully resisted tearing up existing deals to pay more for FS1. In fact, just a week before its launch on Saturday, FS1 lacked significant distribution, which posed a major problem for the programmer.

Rather than having these carriage fights with multiple distributors at launch, Fox execs, led by Fox Networks Distribution President Mike Hopkins, decided to establish the channel on cable and satellite systems first. Then, as Speed’s affiliate deals expire, Fox will try to negotiate increases. While those negotiations will occur in an environment where distributors have become more emboldened in their disputes with sports networks, Fox is banking that systems find that it is more disruptive to drop existing channels that have a built-in audience.

Fox’ deals with TWC, DirecTV, Dish Network, Cox and Cablevision are staggered over the next couple of years. Some of those deals could be worked out before the Speed deals expire. TWC’s contract with YES Network ends after this season, and it is likely that Fox will try to tie a new FS1 deal in with any YES deal. Similarly, Cox has contracts with several Fox RSNs ending soon. Those negotiations could lead to a new FS1 deal with Cox.

A major distributor not involved with the deadline pressure was Comcast, which signed a deal with Fox earlier this year that included FS1, but it is believed to contain “most favored nation” provisions that guarantee the distributor pays the lowest rate available. In addition, because Charter’s deal with Fox on Speed was expiring later this year, it was able to work out a new deal, sources said. But sources did not know the rate that Charter agreed to pay for FS1.

The move was vital for Fox, as the flurry of activity days just before FS1 goes live allows it to launch Saturday to around 90 million homes. That number is important for FS1, as its contracts with some college conferences, like the Big Ten, and leagues, like MLB, stipulate that the channel has to reach a certain number of subscribers to carry its programming, sources said. In recent months, as Fox was seeking new deals for FS1, it told distributors that they would be provided with a watered-down version of Speed if they did not agree to a new FS1 deal. Just a couple of weeks ago, Fox gave a programming lineup for such a channel to the Tribune listings service. The schedule was filled with reruns and infomercials. It is not known if that channel still will be available.

The distributors had to give the OK for Fox to switch Speed over to FS1. Because Fox was changing the channel’s content from a motorsports channel to an all-sports channel -- thereby changing their contracts -- the distributors had the right to drop it. On the other hand, Fox was able to rebrand Fuel into FS2 without needing distributors’ agreements, sources said. That is because the channel’s affiliate contracts allow for the type of content that will be on FS2.
-Bill Walton

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2013, 08:58:26 PM »
I'm down in Tampa Bay on vacation and I thought it was interesting while watching a Rays game on TV they cut to the "Fox Sports 1" studio for an MLB score update.

feedback