collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Fox Sports Lands US Open in 2015  (Read 6989 times)

Abode4life

• Team Captain
Fox Sports Lands US Open in 2015
« on: August 08, 2013, 07:55:38 AM »
I didn't see this posted, so thought I'd share.  Fox landed the US Open for 12 years starting in 2015.

http://msn.foxsports.com/golf/story/usga-fox-sports-deal-us-open-2015-agreement-12-years-080713

GGGG

• All American
Re: Fox Sports Lands US Open in 2015
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 08:31:31 AM »
Which prompted this tweet.

https://twitter.com/bkoo/status/365289686186459136

I am SOOOOO glad that Fox won the BE contract and not NBC.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 08:53:46 AM »
I wonder what happens to Johnny Miller?   Is NBC going to completely scale back all of their golf?    Curious choice, and rude of the USGA to upstage the PGA championship.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 09:31:10 AM »
I wonder what happens to Johnny Miller?   Is NBC going to completely scale back all of their golf?    Curious choice, and rude of the USGA to upstage the PGA championship.

Not sure, but judging my Miller's response below, he's not too happy about it.  Agree that it was very poor timing by the USGA.

“It was the highlight of my year of work for me. The U.S. Open has always been the tournament. It’s a big bummer for me and Dan Hicks. I don’t know what they’re (Fox) is going to do. You can’t just fall out of a tree and do the U.S. Open. I guess the money was more important than the performance. No way they can step in and do the job we’re doing. It’s impossible. There’s just no way. I wish Fox the very best.”

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 09:38:59 AM »

“It was the highlight of my year of work for me. The U.S. Open has always been the tournament. It’s a big bummer for me and Dan Hicks. I don’t know what they’re (Fox) is going to do. You can’t just fall out of a tree and do the U.S. Open. I guess the money was more important than the performance. No way they can step in and do the job we’re doing. It’s impossible. There’s just no way. I wish Fox the very best.”

Right, because Fox has really struggled to provide the best coverage of the NFL, MLB, NASCAR.  ?-( they are frankly superior at nearly everything the do.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 09:40:43 AM »
Not sure, but judging my Miller's response below, he's not too happy about it.  Agree that it was very poor timing by the USGA.

HA that's a classic Johnny Miller quote.  Golf commentating has to be easiest of all sports to do.  Does anyone really care if a PGA event is on CBS, NBC, ESPN, or now FOX?  There's nothing really to beakdown or give insight to.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 09:46:46 AM »
So he thinks Fox Sports will get the yips??

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 09:48:56 AM »
HA that's a classic Johnny Miller quote.  Golf commentating has to be easiest of all sports to do.  Does anyone really care if a PGA event is on CBS, NBC, ESPN, or now FOX?  There's nothing really to beakdown or give insight to.

That's just not true.

But the experience does depend on the network handling it. From host to analyst to hole coverage to interview reporter, coverage can vary from professional to ingratiating.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 09:56:26 AM »
That's just not true.

But the experience does depend on the network handling it. From host to analyst to hole coverage to interview reporter, coverage can vary from professional to ingratiating.

People who watch golf fall into two categories:

1) Those who understand what the analyst is talking about because they already know what the analyst is talking about.
2) Those who don't understand what the analyst is talking about because they can't understand what the analyst is talking about.

Ipso facto, TV golf analysts are unnecessary.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 10:05:26 AM »
That's just not true.

Flipping back and forth this morning between the Golf Channel and CBSSports channel, it is abundantly clear that there is a difference in coverage. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 10:18:33 AM »

I rarely watch golf, so I don't have a preference.  But, I'm not really sure that Miller was talking solely about the commentating.  I think he's talking about the over-all project of broadcasting a golf tournament.  I suspect that there's an awful lot that goes into that, without even considering the commentators.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 10:29:55 AM »
The point of this is that Fox is continuing to shell out $$$ to provide quality sports content for FS1...which is exactly what NBC isn't doing.  In the end, being a part of Fox is going to be a great benefit.

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 10:42:45 AM »
The best part of this is the fact that there will be no more Chris Berman on US Open broadcasts.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 11:08:18 AM »
I rarely watch golf, so I don't have a preference.  But, I'm not really sure that Miller was talking solely about the commentating.  I think he's talking about the over-all project of broadcasting a golf tournament.  I suspect that there's an awful lot that goes into that, without even considering the commentators.

ESPN, CBS, and NBC all seem to do it the exact same way, to me the only significant difference being the commentators.  I'd imagine Fox would do it the same way or maybe even bring some new features to the table.

To me, the notion that NBC brings a lot more to Golf in a broadcast than other networks is dumb.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 11:19:05 AM »

Silly comments from Miller. Just bitter. However, great news for FS1. More quality content. As I've been saying, Fox means business in everything they do. The Big East is in good hands.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2013, 12:37:48 PM »
I rarely watch golf, so I don't have a preference.  But, I'm not really sure that Miller was talking solely about the commentating.  I think he's talking about the over-all project of broadcasting a golf tournament.

I'm sure he is, which is why he's so off the mark. Nobody does better than Fox in any of the sports they produce.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2013, 12:40:33 PM »
ESPN, CBS, and NBC all seem to do it the exact same way, to me the only significant difference being the commentators.  I'd imagine Fox would do it the same way or maybe even bring some new features to the table.

To me, the notion that NBC brings a lot more to Golf in a broadcast than other networks is dumb.

That's true, but I suspect that there's a learning curve to broadcast any new sport.  I don't doubt that Fox will have a learning curve and some growing pains along the way.  I also don't doubt that (as Navin suggested) Fox won't will have a top notch broadcast in fairly short order.

/Fixed my typo.  To be clear, I am certain that Fox will have first rate broadcasts.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 02:03:58 PM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2013, 01:31:40 PM »
That's true, but I suspect that there's a learning curve to broadcast any new sport.  I don't doubt that Fox will have a learning curve and some growing pains along the way.  I also don't doubt that (as Navin suggested) Fox won't have a top notch broadcast in fairly short order.

Look at the way Fox Sports is handling the Gus Johnson/Soccer coverage.  They are taking the long term view, grooming Gus to be ready for the big show in 2014.  They will absolutely get commentators ready for the US Open of equal or better footing, certainly one that can put anyway ;D  Fox Sports has shown a strong ability to think long term and in the best interest of the sports fan which is why they are so much more fantastic than TWWL. 

TWWL shoves what is convenient to them on the consumer whereas Fox Sports crafts solutions to the consumer.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2013, 02:30:04 PM »
I'm sure he is, which is why he's so off the mark. Nobody does better than Fox in any of the sports they produce.

Exactly.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2013, 02:51:55 PM »
They're not going to get the rights to an event like this without making sure they know what they are doing.  They have almost 2 years to get the right people onboard and figure it out.

And by the way, of all the sports, golf is likely one of the most difficult to broadcast.  In what other sport do have a hundred or so independent competitors playing simultaneously over a playing field that encompasses miles in an event that lasts four full days.  Minute to minute someone has to decide exactly what events are worth showing, in the proper sequence and intermixed with swing analysis, interviews, and commercial breaks.  Basketball, by comparison, is pretty much made for TV.  I think that's what Miller was saying.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2013, 04:45:44 PM »
Fox way overpaid for the rights, but everyone knew that was going to happen.  The sports rights fees, already out of control, will get even crazier and drive up everyone's costs even more.  Will be a fun next few years.

Meanwhile, USGA is getting clobbered for the timing.

USGA CHIDED FOR TIMING : GOLFCHANNEL.com's John Hawkins wrote the USGA "violated a very sacred tenet" in announcing this news the day before the start of the PGA Championship. Hawkins: "You don’t release such information on the eve of someone else’s major championship." This is "just lousy manners, a transparent and selfish act directed at a rival organization, the PGA of America, ostensibly in retribution for the anchored-putter skirmish that arose between the governing bodies late last year." Golfer Brandt Snedeker tweeted, "Don’t know the relationship between @USGA and @ThePGAofAmerica but seems petty to announce new TV deal today USGA… Couldn’t wait??" (GOLFCHANNEL.com, 8/7). Golf blogger Geoff Shackelford wrote the timing of the announcement was a "tacky decision" by the USGA. The agreement was announced in an "utterly low class, ungentlemanly fashion on the eve of the PGA Championship which happens to be run by the organization that did not support us on the anchoring ban. Coincidence?" Shackelford wrote this is a "dark day" for the USGA and "for the game" in general (GEOFFSHACKELFORD.com, 8/7). In Jacksonville, Garry Smits wrote, "It was a tacky move by the USGA, which professes to be the bastion of all things honorable about golf and its rules" (JACKSONVILLE.com, 8/7). Golf Channel's Rich Lerner said the move was a "monumental misstep of bad timing and poor judgment." Lerner: "The prevailing sentiment by the assembled golfing world here in Rochester is one of disbelief because golf's major ruling bodies have always respected each other’s big events, and adhered to an unwritten agreement to not overshadow one another" ("Live from the PGA Championship," Golf Channel, 8/7).

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2013, 05:08:43 PM »
Shackelford wrote this is a "dark day" for the USGA and "for the game" in general (GEOFFSHACKELFORD.com, 8/7).

Ok...I get its a tacky move timing wise.

But seriously? A dark day for the PGA and the game of golf in general? Hyperbole much?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2013, 09:18:55 PM »
Maybe it's just me, but somehow I don't really think Johnny wishes Fox the very best.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2013, 10:43:21 AM »

USGA CHIDED FOR TIMING : GOLFCHANNEL.com's John Hawkins wrote the USGA "violated a very sacred tenet" in announcing this news the day before the start of the PGA Championship. Hawkins: "You don’t release such information on the eve of someone else’s major championship." This is "just lousy manners, a transparent and selfish act directed at a rival organization, the PGA of America, ostensibly in retribution for the anchored-putter skirmish that arose between the governing bodies late last year." Golfer Brandt Snedeker tweeted, "Don’t know the relationship between @USGA and @ThePGAofAmerica but seems petty to announce new TV deal today USGA… Couldn’t wait??" (GOLFCHANNEL.com, 8/7). Golf blogger Geoff Shackelford wrote the timing of the announcement was a "tacky decision" by the USGA. The agreement was announced in an "utterly low class, ungentlemanly fashion on the eve of the PGA Championship which happens to be run by the organization that did not support us on the anchoring ban. Coincidence?" Shackelford wrote this is a "dark day" for the USGA and "for the game" in general (GEOFFSHACKELFORD.com, 8/7). In Jacksonville, Garry Smits wrote, "It was a tacky move by the USGA, which professes to be the bastion of all things honorable about golf and its rules" (JACKSONVILLE.com, 8/7). Golf Channel's Rich Lerner said the move was a "monumental misstep of bad timing and poor judgment." Lerner: "The prevailing sentiment by the assembled golfing world here in Rochester is one of disbelief because golf's major ruling bodies have always respected each other’s big events, and adhered to an unwritten agreement to not overshadow one another" ("Live from the PGA Championship," Golf Channel, 8/7).

I am so up to here with all this crap about all of golf's honor, integrity, blah, blah, blah. Seriously, STFU! If you accept tips from television in order to enforce your rules, your precious game has none of those qualities.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2013, 10:50:01 AM »
Ok...I get its a tacky move timing wise.

But seriously? A dark day for the PGA and the game of golf in general? Hyperbole much?

Didn't they say the same things when Fox got the NFL rights?  Seems like water under the bridge now...

feedback