Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Northwestern In Talks With Schools For United Center Game  (Read 9876 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Northwestern In Talks With Schools For United Center Game
« on: August 07, 2013, 09:37:39 AM »
670 The Score is reporting that Northwestern is looking at "big name schools" for a game at the United Center.

Assuming Marquette qualifies as a "big name school", would Marquette have any interest in this game? While not the greatest opponent, it would be nice to get more exposure in Chicago.

Coleman

• All American
Re: Northwestern In Talks With Schools For United Center Game
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 09:40:28 AM »
670 The Score is reporting that Northwestern is looking at "big name schools" for a game at the United Center.

Assuming Marquette qualifies as a "big name school", would Marquette have any interest in this game? While not the greatest opponent, it would be nice to get more exposure in Chicago.

If it takes the place of a cupcake, go for it. Although then we lose a home game.

If it takes the place of a major conference home and a way (such as Ohio State or the New Mexico game)...no effin way.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 10:55:25 AM »
If it takes the place of a cupcake, go for it. Although then we lose a home game.

If it takes the place of a major conference home and a way (such as Ohio State or the New Mexico game)...no effin way.

On this note, is the New Mexico game a home and away?  I know we are playing in Vegas against them this year, so it really isn't an "away" game.  I wasn't sure if we have another game scheduled against them next year.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 11:12:50 AM »
'Cats are committed to elevatin' the program. Don't make the mistake of takin' them lightly. Any game for MU in the suburb to the south is great exposure for Buzz' and can to used as a recruitin' advantage.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 11:21:26 AM »
'Cats are committed to elevatin' the program. Don't make the mistake of takin' them lightly. Any game for MU in the suburb to the south is great exposure for Buzz' and can to used as a recruitin' advantage.

Sorry If I roll my eyes about a program that has never even made the NCAA tournament.

“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 11:26:57 AM »
I went to a double header in Chicago. Northwestern vs UCLA with Lew Alcinder and MU vs Loyola(?). There was a call in the MU game I thought at the time was not correct. On the rebound Larry McNeal fell down in the lane. Loyola(?) started up the court with the ball and turned it over. McNeal was still laying in the lane when MU stole the ball and they call 3 seconds on him before MU even got into their offense. Over 40 years and I have never seen another call like that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 11:32:17 AM »
I went to a double header in Chicago. Northwestern vs UCLA with Lew Alcinder and MU vs Loyola(?). There was a call in the MU game I thought at the time was not correct. On the rebound Larry McNeal fell down in the lane. Loyola(?) started up the court with the ball and turned it over. McNeal was still laying in the lane when MU stole the ball and they call 3 seconds on him before MU even got into their offense. Over 40 years and I have never seen another call like that.

It is correct, but an incredibly strict interpretation.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 12:19:09 PM »
Sure, DePaul...let Northwestern take over the United Center. You keep playing in that dump out by the airport. ::)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 12:20:14 PM »
Sure, DePaul...let Northwestern take over the United Center. You keep playing in that dump out by the airport. ::)

Their new arena was approved.  Still some obstacles, but that is better than a half empty UC.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 12:46:01 PM »

It is correct, but an incredibly strict interpretation.
I think what made me think it was incorrect was that MU did not even have the ball 3 seconds. As soon as they stole it just before the half court line the ref turned and made the call.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 12:54:03 PM »

+1

I say go to Chicago, kick the s*** out of them (I will never NOT enjoy
watching a B1G team lose), while impressing some Chicago area recruits.

Win-win.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 12:56:44 PM »
I think what made me think it was incorrect was that MU did not even have the ball 3 seconds. As soon as they stole it just before the half court line the ref turned and made the call.

Oh...ha.  No that isn't correct then.  When you said "didn't get into their offense," I thought you meant their half court set.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 01:14:16 PM »
Probably wouldn't be my first choice but any game against a B1G school is great for us and obviously playing in the Chicago area is great for alums and recruits there.  As long as it doesn't take the place of another good matchup, which I doubt it would.

Anyone follow the Paint Touches / Anonymous Eagle Twitter posts last night about us possibly getting another non-con game during the BE schedule?  I thought the old BE made some rule that you could only do this if it was a premier, national TV event (possibly as a reaction to Crean scheduling Florida Gulf Coast (before they were good) in March to make our last 10 games record better for the selection committee).  Maybe this is the game they are looking at?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2013, 03:42:12 PM »
Would love to see MU-NW at the UC.

I see no downside to it and lots of upsides.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 03:44:20 PM »
Anyone follow the Paint Touches / Anonymous Eagle Twitter posts last night about us possibly getting another non-con game during the BE schedule?  I thought the old BE made some rule that you could only do this if it was a premier, national TV event (possibly as a reaction to Crean scheduling Florida Gulf Coast (before they were good) in March to make our last 10 games record better for the selection committee).  Maybe this is the game they are looking at?

Bracket Busters game vs Iona?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2013, 03:47:48 PM »
Bracket Busters game vs Iona?
Being in a bracket buster game would be a strong indication that we are in a mid-major conference.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2013, 03:50:04 PM »

Their new arena was approved.  Still some obstacles, but that is better than a half empty UC.

Half-empty would be a stellar success. They'll be lucky to do half at the much smaller proposed arena.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2013, 03:58:47 PM »
Would love to go to the UC for a Marquette game!

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2013, 03:59:59 PM »
Would love to see MU-NW at the UC.

I see no downside to it and lots of upsides.

As a Northwestern alumnus, I need to point out that it would actually be MU versus NU.  As an MU fan, I agree on the upside and would love to see it happen.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2013, 04:12:34 PM »
I'd love to watch MU at the UC, but I don't really see much upside to playing Northwestern.  Playing Illinois at the UC would be interesting.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2013, 04:29:06 PM »

Yup, because eventually they'll be playing in a shiny, new—half empty—arena out by McCormick Place.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2013, 05:39:30 PM »

Majerus talked about the MU game in the NCAAs against Austin Peay in 1973. 

Their big scorer was James "Fly" Williams and during that game, Fly drove the lane, there was no call made but Fly thought he had been fouled.  He sat in the lane, MU went down and scored, Austin Peay got the ball and Fly continued to sit in the lane and was called for 3 seconds.

I think Fly averaged about 30 points a game that season and had scored 22 in the first half against MU.
Fly and another starter got in an argument at halftime and the coach didn't play either of them in the second half.  They both sat in the stands behind the bench during the second half.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2013, 07:22:14 PM »
Austin Peay (pronounced Pee for all you gringos) Govenors had an interesting chant that season. Heard it many times during their Tourney run, "The Fly is open, let's go Peay."
Larry probably woulda had his man-string in a bunch kinda like the "Hey" song, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2013, 09:54:30 PM »
I'd be for it. Big stage, smack in the middle of our recruiting territory, heavy alumni presence, beatable but respectable team.

I think the heavy alumni presence could be of special benefit. You know how much it could help us if we pack the United Center with Marquette fans and outcheer Northwestern in their town? Great for recruiting
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

dbwarriors

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2013, 10:42:45 PM »
I see no reasons why Marquette fans would pack the UC.  We (MU fans) have excellent fans and bring a few thousand to the Horizon every year...I expect a game at the UC would generate about the same sized MU contingent.

feedback