Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Juan and Jake to play on European tour  (Read 5508 times)

tower912

• All American
Juan and Jake to play on European tour
« on: August 05, 2013, 05:58:03 PM »
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=415&f=2850&t=11751993

I apologize for posting from scout, but I couldn't find the story elsewhere.    Jake and Juan on a European junket.    Enjoy yourselves, gentlemen. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

tower912

• All American
Re: Juan and Jake to play on European tour
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 08:34:11 AM »
http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/080513aaa.html

Hey, I found a link that doesn't involve scout.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Slim

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 08:48:34 AM »
Was GPA a deciding factor in team selection? I understand they are both good students.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 11:54:12 AM »
Was GPA a deciding factor in team selection? I understand they are both good students.

Some things I wondered as well...how are the players for these events chosen?  Juan and Jake here, Jamil in Lithuania, Davante was in the running for a spot on a team earlier in the summer...I know the two of them are also good students.  Are these events becoming more common, or are our players just getting selected more?  Does the staff do some selling to try to get them selected?

augoman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 12:12:36 PM »
I remember the team taking more trips together years ago, and more preseason tournaments recently.  Now it seems to be a 'farming out' of players.  While it gives them a diverse set of teammates, the 'team' cohesiveness doesn't develop.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 12:23:54 PM »
I remember the team taking more trips together years ago, and more preseason tournaments recently.  Now it seems to be a 'farming out' of players.  While it gives them a diverse set of teammates, the 'team' cohesiveness doesn't develop.

Summer school isn't even in session right now so if Juan and Jake were not part of this experience they would be at home anyways, just like the rest of the guys. "Team cohesiveness" isn't effected one bit
Bring back FFP!!!

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 02:23:27 PM »
that's because tc was better at developing team cohesiveness than buzz. 

chapman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 02:51:26 PM »

Something I wondered last year (http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=31958.0).  It's exactly now, after the summer session and before fall classes begin that teams go on the foreign trips together.  Teams are eligible to take one every four years, but our last was to Canada in 2007. 

Last year, 60 teams took a trip:
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/19737959/trippin-60-division-i-teams-slated-to-take-foreignpreseason-trips

This year, at least 15 (14+1 in comments) mentioned here, including opponents NMU, UW, and Butler:
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/9531939/taking-summer-tour-14-teams-college-basketball

Not sure why we aren't taking advantage of this.  Even with earlier practices and more offseason interaction with coaches, I'd think the benefit of even more free practice time, plus a trip together as a team, plus games together as a team would be too good to pass up.  And based on the schools going in first link, it can't be a budget issue for us.

It looks like this company arranges many of the trips, and lists the benefits here as well: http://www.basketballtravelers.com/college/foreign-tours/

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 05:09:08 PM »
Someone should ask Buzz.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 05:19:51 PM »
Someone should ask Buzz.

I believe part of the problem is getting all freshmen eligible to participate. Bball players are not clearinghouse priority right now. Also, passports can be a headache and i dont believe schools can help players with the costs.

If teams cant take all of their freshman, there is less incentive to do this type of thing.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 05:22:54 PM »
Someone should ask Buzz.

With summer workouts now allowed and the local ProAm, I think these August team preseason games (like Bucky is on) are less important.  More so, Buzz has already killed the exhibition games to start the regular season and replaced them with controlled scrimmages.  Don't think he is a fan is my guess.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 05:27:34 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

feedback