'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by Vander Blue Man Group
[Today at 02:18:09 PM]

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[Today at 11:08:53 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[May 31, 2024, 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[May 31, 2024, 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Mascot woes at Butler and Georgetown  (Read 31676 times)

MARQKC

• Starter
Mascot woes at Butler and Georgetown
« on: August 03, 2013, 11:50:28 AM »
Not a good time for bulldogs, it seems. At Butler, the mascot has heart problems:

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/daXrG?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=big-east-basketball

At Georgetown, the mascot didn't pass the probation period:

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/daX8X?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=big-east-basketball

"I did not see this coming," said the head of the student group that cares for the mascot.

Yeah, well, pay attention next time.

MUCam

• All American
Re: Mascot woes at Butler and Georgetown
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 12:42:26 PM »
In an act of solidarity, and to further honor our new conference brethren, I suggest we lay down to rest, for good, our own mascot, the wonderfully generic and completely uninspiring Golden Eagle.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 12:59:49 PM »
In an act of solidarity, and to further honor our new conference brethren, I suggest we lay down to rest, for good, our own mascot, the wonderfully generic and completely uninspiring Golden Eagle.

What a generous thought. Let's start a petition.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 01:00:32 PM »
I'll buy that. Time to go back to the Warriors, which will never happen in this PC world. However, we still have the
Redskins, Braves, Chippewas, Fighting Irish, Seminoles, Red Storm, Reds, etc. etc.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 01:35:28 PM »
I'll buy that. Time to go back to the Warriors, which will never happen in this PC world. However, we still have the
Redskins, Braves, Chippewas, Fighting Irish, Seminoles, Red Storm, Reds, etc. etc.

Umm what's wrong with the Reds? They used to be the Cincinnati Red Stockings it has nothing to do with native Americans. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 01:39:09 PM »
And the "Red Storm" is because SJU dropped "Redmen."

Slim

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 01:46:28 PM »
And nobody will touch the Blackhawks. That logo is too cool.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 01:57:52 PM »
First dog needs to go paleo, and fast.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 02:09:47 PM »
And Orange because Cuse dropped "orangemen"

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 02:16:17 PM »
And nobody will touch the Blackhawks. That logo is too cool.

Plus the government likes and uses it.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2013, 02:30:57 PM »
Umm what's wrong with the Reds? They used to be the Cincinnati Red Stockings it has nothing to do with native Americans. 
Nothing wrong with the Reds-maybe somebody could construe it to be a slur for Chicoms. And red Storm is just a PC ripoff of Redmen. Wish we could go back to the old Mascots.

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2013, 03:03:14 PM »
What a generous thought. Let's start a petition.

And then we can be the gold again!

If we are not going back to Warriors don't mess with it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2013, 03:08:08 PM »
And then we can be the gold again!

If we are not going back to Warriors don't mess with it.

Gold>>>>>>>>>>>Golden Eagles

chapman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2013, 04:08:45 PM »
At least they try to have real dogs.  I'm still waiting for a falconer to unleash a real golden eagle to fly around the BC.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2013, 04:10:16 PM »

Since we can't go back to Warriors, we should go with Worriers... at least it would fit for most of the people on this board.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2013, 04:10:58 PM »
Would Warrior be a bad ass mascot to have? Yes. But as of right now, its not going to happen. And its our own fault. Have you looked at how racist our mascot was back in the day? Willie Wampum is potentially, to this day, the most racist mascot this side of Chief Wahoo. I get it, back then we weren't as PC. But we continue to immortalize the racism by wearing our Willie Wampum memorabilia, by having our users names and profile pictures be Willie Wampum related, and blaming the tribes for standing up for themselves. The students carry this on too, every game there is at least one student in war paint and a headdress standing in the front row.

The tribes have repeatedly stated that the reason they don't want us using Warriors anymore is because they are afraid that alumni specifically will start bringing back some of the old racist traditions. Who can blame them? We still use some Native American imagery even though our mascot has nothing to do with Native Americans. If we change back to the Warriors, all of that could come back in force.

Are other mascots more racist than the Warriors? Absolutely. I mean Redskins? Seriously? But that doesn't give us permission to add to the hate. We are a Jesuit institution, we are supposed to be better than the rest.

I want to be the Warriors again and I think it can happen. First we need to prove that we are no longer glorifying our racist days of the past. Take down your pictures of Willie Wampum. Change your user names. Stop whining about how unfair the tribes are. And most importantly, acknowledge that our past actions were racist and will not be tolerated in the future.

If we do all that, may be the tribes would actually be comfortable with letting us use the Warriors with a knight or Trojan or something as our mascot.

Reading this, I could see some people take this as inflammatory or as a betrayal. Please keep an open mind. I want Warriors back as much as anybody. I just think the better strategy is to treat the tribes with respect rather than continually bashing them and the administration.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2013, 04:23:36 PM »

If we do all that, may be the tribes would actually be comfortable with letting us use the Warriors with a knight or Trojan or something as our mascot.

A Warrior doesn't have to be a Native American.  There are LOTS of possibilities.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&authuser=0&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1247&bih=637&q=warriors+logo&oq=warrior&gs_l=img.1.6.0l10.1712.3482.0.10149.7.7.0.0.0.0.83.409.7.7.0.ehm_pq_signedout%2Chmss2%3Dfalse%2Chmmql%3D2...0...1.1.23.img..0.7.409.z4cEoLM3uME

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2013, 04:36:02 PM »
A Warrior doesn't have to be a Native American.  There are LOTS of possibilities.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&authuser=0&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1247&bih=637&q=warriors+logo&oq=warrior&gs_l=img.1.6.0l10.1712.3482.0.10149.7.7.0.0.0.0.83.409.7.7.0.ehm_pq_signedout%2Chmss2%3Dfalse%2Chmmql%3D2...0...1.1.23.img..0.7.409.z4cEoLM3uME

Yes, and if we brought back Warriors, we would have to use a non-native American. But the administration has said they won't change back unless the tribes give their blessing. And the tribes have said they won't give their blessing because even if we go to a non-native american warrior they are worried some of the old racist traditions will come back
TAMU

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2013, 04:46:13 PM »
Yes, and if we brought back Warriors, we would have to use a non-native American. But the administration has said they won't change back unless the tribes give their blessing. And the tribes have said they won't give their blessing because even if we go to a non-native american warrior they are worried some of the old racist traditions will come back

It doesn't help when students are wearing "headdresses" that are shown on television.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2013, 04:46:20 PM »
Would Warrior be a bad ass mascot to have? Yes. But as of right now, its not going to happen. And its our own fault. Have you looked at how racist our mascot was back in the day? Willie Wampum is potentially, to this day, the most racist mascot this side of Chief Wahoo. I get it, back then we weren't as PC. But we continue to immortalize the racism by wearing our Willie Wampum memorabilia, by having our users names and profile pictures be Willie Wampum related, and blaming the tribes for standing up for themselves. The students carry this on too, every game there is at least one student in war paint and a headdress standing in the front row.

The tribes have repeatedly stated that the reason they don't want us using Warriors anymore is because they are afraid that alumni specifically will start bringing back some of the old racist traditions. Who can blame them? We still use some Native American imagery even though our mascot has nothing to do with Native Americans. If we change back to the Warriors, all of that could come back in force.

Are other mascots more racist than the Warriors? Absolutely. I mean Redskins? Seriously? But that doesn't give us permission to add to the hate. We are a Jesuit institution, we are supposed to be better than the rest.

I want to be the Warriors again and I think it can happen. First we need to prove that we are no longer glorifying our racist days of the past. Take down your pictures of Willie Wampum. Change your user names. Stop whining about how unfair the tribes are. And most importantly, acknowledge that our past actions were racist and will not be tolerated in the future.

Reading this, I could see some people take this as inflammatory or as a betrayal. Please keep an open mind. I want Warriors back as much as anybody. I just think the better strategy is to treat the tribes with respect rather than continually bashing them and the administration.
Man that is one big crock of PC jargon. There is no "hate" or "racism" in warrior as you stipulate. People can remember the Marquette Warriors without any thought of racism or hate. Then the PC Warriors begin to dictate to others their agenda, and make it into something that is not real.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2013, 04:51:26 PM »
Man that is one big crock of PC jargon. There is no "hate" or "racism" in warrior as you stipulate. People can remember the Marquette Warriors without any thought of racism or hate. Then the PC Warriors begin to dictate to others their agenda, and make it into something that is not real.

Compromise time!  We could be the PC Warriors!!  We could somehow tie our mascot into all the stuff going on in Washington that Chicos is ranting about.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2013, 05:56:59 PM »

You can disagree all you want, I respect your opinion. Personally I agree we get a little to caught up in being PC. But look at it this way, which path is more likely to get the Warriors back?

A) We admit we had a racist mascot in the past and agree to be diligent about keeping all native american imagery out of Marquette events in the future.

B) We continue the fight against political correctness and repeatedly tell the native Americans that they have no right to be offended by our choice of mascot

I'm not trying to make a comment on what's right. I just think this is the only way we could ever get Warriors back
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 05:59:54 PM by Analytical Eagle »
TAMU

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2013, 06:35:09 PM »
Knights are offensive to English people, and Trojans are offensive to Turks.  Or is it not offensive because nobody in those ethnic groups seem to mind?

We will NEVER bring Warriors back, I'm 100% sure of it.  EVEN IF we had every Native American in the US AND Canada say that it's okay that MU uses Warriors, it's gone forever. 

Why is that?  Because even though that group may not find our use of it offensive, the perception generally is that it is racist.  See, North Dakota, for example.  Changed the Fighting Sioux name DESPITE the fact that the tribe said that they actually liked ND using it--they said it made the Sioux tribe proud and looked upon the mascot/name as a badge of honor.  In any case, it's no longer used because it simply makes the university appear racist, even though the supposed offended race is not offended whatsoever.

Slim

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2013, 06:55:42 PM »
Knights are offensive to English people, and Trojans are offensive to Turks. 

Is that true?

herboturbo

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2013, 06:57:29 PM »
  See, North Dakota, for example.  Changed the Fighting Sioux name DESPITE the fact that the tribe said that they actually liked ND using it--they said it made the Sioux tribe proud and looked upon the mascot/name as a badge of honor.  In any case, it's no longer used because it simply makes the university appear racist, even though the supposed offended race is not offended whatsoever.

Pretty sure the NCAA is the one that forced them to change.  Something about not letting them participate in postseason events and/or hosting postseason events.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter.