Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Vander's Birthday  (Read 12759 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Vander's Birthday
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2013, 07:51:32 AM »
Look at the trash coming out of the woodwork.

A LOT of bars do this as a promotional thing.  None of you even know if they expect Van to pay for the open bar. 

Totally ridiculous that a bunch of no nothing old farts on this message board are willing to trash an MU alum for partying on his birthday.

No, its just embarrassing.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2013, 07:53:42 AM »
There is a zero percent chance he is paying for anything. Have none of you guys had your birthday at a bar before? The standard deal is you promise a certain amount of people and they pay a cover then you drink for free.
Bring back FFP!!!

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2013, 09:22:32 AM »
Not that I am suggesting anything, but it would certainly be entertaining  to watch a ton of middle-aged alumni and fans show up at Vander's party at the stroke of nine, drink heavily at the open bar while candidly expressing their opinions about Vander's career choices, and leaving en masse the minute they start charging for drinks.
Have some patience, FFS.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2013, 09:30:07 AM »
Not that I am suggesting anything, but it would certainly be entertaining  to watch a ton of middle-aged alumni and fans show up at Vander's party at the stroke of nine, drink heavily at the open bar while candidly expressing their opinions about Vander's career choices, and leaving en masse the minute they start charging for drinks.

Or, it would be downright pathetic to even suggest that being entertaining.

MileHigh

• Team Captain
  • Go Warriors!
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2013, 09:47:23 AM »
Totally ridiculous that a bunch of no nothing old farts on this message board are willing to trash an MU alum for partying on his birthday.

I don't think he graduated.  Not an alum yet...

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2013, 09:51:00 AM »

Haven't we covered the whole "alum" thing ad nauseam on this board?

MileHigh

• Team Captain
  • Go Warriors!
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2013, 10:10:38 AM »
Haven't we covered the whole "alum" thing ad nauseam on this board?

Sorry, I wasn't being sarcastic/devil's advocate...I just enjoy reading this thread for my own humor

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2013, 11:37:55 AM »

Dick Cheney...UW-Madison alum, never graduated.   http://www.uwalumni.com/_news_Notable_Alumni.aspx

Scott Walker...MU alum, never graduated    http://www.marquette.edu/magazine/recent.php?subaction=showfull&id=1295029342

Official MU alumni policy

Editor’s Note: Several alumni questioned whether a news article in the Winter 2011 issue was inaccurate in referring to Wis. Gov. Scott Walker as an alumnus of Marquette. According to university records, Walker was a student at Marquette from fall 1986 to spring 1990, majoring in political science. He was a senior in good standing when he voluntarily withdrew from the university. He does not have a degree from Marquette but is considered an alumnus (non-graduate). The Alumni Association by-laws consider all those who have completed 24 credit hours or more as alumni. The status is granted after the student’s class has graduated.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2013, 11:48:25 AM »
Look at the trash coming out of the woodwork.

A LOT of bars do this as a promotional thing.  None of you even know if they expect Van to pay for the open bar. 

No, its just embarrassing.

A bit piling on, only a few goofs said that.

The only thing that caught my eye is the use of the MU logo, etc, in the poster.  I can't imagine Marquette's legal \ branding folks are too thrilled with this. I'm going to take a leap of faith and guess that the group that put together the flier didn't get MU's permission to use the university's marks.

swimmer

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2013, 11:51:18 AM »
I'm just glad to see him wearing such a wholesome t-shirt.  The image of Teddy Ruxpin doing a chemistry experiment is a nice gesture to promote the sciences to his younger fans.  Vander clearly realizes that as a public figure his attire is scrutinized, and he is taking the opportunity to advance the cause of education.  This is the kind of ambassador our university needs.  He should call JFB and get him in line.  :P    

Signed.  Clueless Codgy Old Fart

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2013, 12:09:05 PM »
I'm just glad to see him wearing such a wholesome t-shirt.  The image of Teddy Ruxpin doing a chemistry experiment is a nice gesture to promote the sciences to his younger fans.  Vander clearly realizes that as a public figure his attire is scrutinized, and he is taking the opportunity to advance the cause of education.  This is the kind of ambassador our university needs.  He should call JFB and get him in line.  :P    

Signed.  Clueless Codgy Old Fart

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_(film)

Head over to the closest Redbox.  Don't worry he didn't defile Teddy Ruxpin.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2013, 12:34:42 PM »
Looks just like another dime a dozen wanna be-I'm not disillusioned to think what some of our players want to be about - but more of them should realize what iT takes to be a special basketball player.  For starters, you will never be one if you are doing it for the wrong reasons.  It's all about the shine for many of these guys at the end of the day. Much of the time they confuse that with respect. 

Lots of people respect shine.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2013, 01:04:49 PM »
Guys, just talked to Vander.  He's really appreciative of all the press and pub that Scoop has given his party, so all Scoopers get comped bottle service til close. 

All ya gotta do is walk up to him or any other player there and say:

"Hi I'm __________ (insert handle here*), great shirt, really matches those kicks"

*Handle is key, no names from the outside. 

See you there.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2013, 11:22:30 PM »
Chick and js enjoyed the hospitality.  Open bar closed; now back to Caffrey's. 8-)

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2013, 12:29:14 AM »
The negativity on this board toward Vander is ridiculous.  At times it seems like some of you guys would actually like him more if he had stayed committed to Wisconsin and won them a league title. 

He's an alum, who single-handedly (literally) got us both a BE championship AND avoided a one-and-done in the tourney.  Show some love for the young man.

Happy Birthday, bro.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2013, 12:00:27 PM »
The negativity on this board toward Vander is ridiculous.  At times it seems like some of you guys would actually like him more if he had stayed committed to Wisconsin and won them a league title. 

He's an alum, who single-handedly (literally) got us both a BE championship AND avoided a one-and-done in the tourney.  Show some love for the young man.

Happy Birthday, bro.

I think Vander should have celebrated his birthday in the more appropriate MU style...you know, kegs stands, 21 shots of Jaeger, puking on a co-ed and passing out in a bowl of crackers at Real Chili.  A party at a club is so low brow and not befitting of a MU alum.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2013, 12:02:49 PM »

Happy Birthday, bro.

No one single-handedly (literally) did anything.  Win as a team, lose as a team.  Period.  He made the last shot, that last shot doesn't happen if other things by the team don't also happen (or in the NCAA's case, Davidson pissing down their leg).  You win a game with 40 minutes of basketball, not a 1 second shot.

Happy Birthday to Vander.  A solid player who made an odd decision that even his head coach was shocked by.  Wish him well, hope it works out for him.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2013, 12:06:17 PM »
No one single-handedly (literally) did anything.  Win as a team, lose as a team.  Period.  He made the last shot, that last shot doesn't happen if other things by the team don't also happen (or in the NCAA's case, Davidson pissing down their leg).  You win a game with 40 minutes of basketball, not a 1 second shot.

Happy Birthday to Vander.  A solid player who made an odd decision that even his head coach was shocked by.  Wish him well, hope it works out for him.

Classic!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2013, 01:19:14 PM »
Classic!

Well, what can I say.  It's just sports fan laziness.  He hit huge shots, no one is saying otherwise.  Gigantic shots, but it wasn't 1 on 5 for 40 minutes.  It's like fans saying Ray Allen won game 6.  He made a giant shot...huge stones.  If Chris Bosch doesn't get the rebound, Allen doesn't get that shot.  If Lebron doesn't hit the 3 seconds earlier, there is no Ray Allen 3 needed.  Plus the Heat still had to win in OT.  It amazes me how sports fans say one play lost a game or one play won a game.  Total laziness.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2013, 02:02:25 PM »
Yeah, I know. It just so happens to be Vander in this instance where you feel the need to express your point.........again.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2013, 02:19:06 PM »
Well, what can I say.  It's just sports fan laziness.  He hit huge shots, no one is saying otherwise.  Gigantic shots, but it wasn't 1 on 5 for 40 minutes.  It's like fans saying Ray Allen won game 6.  He made a giant shot...huge stones.  If Chris Bosch doesn't get the rebound, Allen doesn't get that shot.  If Lebron doesn't hit the 3 seconds earlier, there is no Ray Allen 3 needed.  Plus the Heat still had to win in OT.  It amazes me how sports fans say one play lost a game or one play won a game.  Total laziness.
What you seem to be describing here is the fact that the end result of a series of events is, in fact, influenced by those preceding events.  That's odd, because that's pretty much the exact opposite of what you were arguing in a different thread.  Chicos wins the hypocrisy award for today!  Kudos!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2013, 09:51:51 PM »
What you seem to be describing here is the fact that the end result of a series of events is, in fact, influenced by those preceding events.  That's odd, because that's pretty much the exact opposite of what you were arguing in a different thread.  Chicos wins the hypocrisy award for today!  Kudos!

Actually, I'm arguing the exact same thing.  Maybe you take the idiocy award for not being able to connect the dots.  Same argument, EXACT same argument.  Series of events happen, not just one.  Please, try to stay up to speed.   :)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 10:13:41 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2013, 01:12:01 PM »
Chick and js enjoyed the hospitality.  Open bar closed; now back to Caffrey's. 8-)

Worth a drive north? If so, impressive cheapskate. Squared.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2013, 01:37:33 PM »
Worth a drive north? If so, impressive cheapskate. Squared.

I didn't really need teal, did I?

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2013, 02:18:18 PM »
Have none of you guys had your birthday at a bar before?
No, I've never thrown myself a birthday party...momma's boy!