Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Selflessness or Foolishness?  (Read 4490 times)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Selflessness or Foolishness?
« on: October 06, 2007, 05:25:41 PM »
http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10390866

Nice move, but $25k?!? I dunno...unless there's a booster "taking care of things."
SS Marquette

PuertoRicanNightmare

Re: Selflessness or Foolishness?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 06:08:43 PM »
There were people on both boards suggesting Fitzgerald might do something similar because his family "can afford it."

To answer your question, it's foolishness.

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 09:51:02 PM »
There were people on both boards suggesting Fitzgerald might do something similar because his family "can afford it."

You know, there are some families in this country where $25,000 can be considered a drop in the bucket. What's foolish to you may not register on the foolish scale for someone else.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007, 10:22:45 PM »

You know, there are some families in this country where $25,000 can be considered a drop in the bucket. What's foolish to you may not register on the foolish scale for someone else.

PRN is just trying to cover his a** because he said that it was the height of idiocy when I suggested that a player at MU might be willing to pay his own way.  Obviously, it wasn't that unreasonable, since Rochestie just did so.

And yet, now that he should be eating crow, he's instead calling someone else names because they had the gall to prove him wrong.

The classy thing would have been to come on the board and simply own up that he doesn't have all the answers.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 12:04:21 AM »

Sounds like the ultimate team player to me.  If it's something that he and his family can do and he believes it will make his team better, why is it foolish PRN?

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 11:09:04 AM »

PRN is just trying to cover his a** because he said that it was the height of idiocy when I suggested that a player at MU might be willing to pay his own way.  Obviously, it wasn't that unreasonable, since Rochestie just did so.

And yet, now that he should be eating crow, he's instead calling someone else names because they had the gall to prove him wrong.

The classy thing would have been to come on the board and simply own up that he doesn't have all the answers.

You suggested that Crean could get free tuition for a player by becoming his legal guardian.

It was, and remains, the most idiotic thing I've ever read on a message board and destroys any ounce of credibility you pretend to have.

I don't need to "cover my a**."

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 11:40:06 AM »

You suggested that Crean could get free tuition for a player by becoming his legal guardian.

It was, and remains, the most idiotic thing I've ever read on a message board and destroys any ounce of credibility you pretend to have.

One--don't put words in my mouth. I raised it as a question. 

Second, I raised is as a question becuase I recalled Barro's HS coach served as his guardian.  Does it seem a big stretch to you to think that the college coach could serve the same role as the HS coach?  It didn't to me--but please, explain the huge difference to me.  I'd love to know if you have any capability of rational thought, or if you're all bark and no bite.

Finally, my question was answered--no thanks to you, I might add--by someone who pointed out that such players could receive standard employee benefits such as free tuituion under NCAA rules, but not receive special considerations that athletes receive, like housing or access to training facilities off season.

In other words, YOU were the idiot for attacking the idea which would have worked from a roster standpoint--albeit with some drawbacks.

And now with Rotschie's decision, you've been proven an idiot a second time.

Perhaps in the future, you may not want to be so quick on the attack when you clearly don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Schoolyard

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 11:06:05 PM »

One--don't put words in my mouth. I raised it as a question. 

Second, I raised is as a question becuase I recalled Barro's HS coach served as his guardian.  Does it seem a big stretch to you to think that the college coach could serve the same role as the HS coach?  It didn't to me--but please, explain the huge difference to me.  I'd love to know if you have any capability of rational thought, or if you're all bark and no bite.

If you heard the way TC spoke about Barro at the Chicago Tip-off luncheon you'd know that there is slim chance of guardianship...it was quite a speech, of course we only had to wait an hour plus for TC to show up and give it, but that was better than his no show at the B&G Golf Outing so I guess we were lucky that he came at all.
My handle is Schoolyard but I do my best work at Finley Dunnes...Joe Kenny in '08

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 11:24:44 AM »

Rational thought!?!? You don't see the difference between a high school coach trying to help a kid out, give him a place to live and some square meals and a college coach trying to free up a scholarship? Seriously?

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 01:22:43 PM »
I agree with PRN, this is a precedent I don't think Marquette wants to set.  I am not sure about the NCAA rules on this situation, but even if they would allow it; I do not like the idea of this.  Of course, there is prolly zero chance this would happen or anybody is even considering it; so its prolly a moot point.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 01:29:02 PM »

Rational thought!?!? You don't see the difference between a high school coach trying to help a kid out, give him a place to live and some square meals and a college coach trying to free up a scholarship? Seriously?

Do you really think the HS coach was merely "trying to help a kid out" and the fact that the kid happened to be athletic and 6'10" was merely a conincidence?   Seriously?

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 01:34:29 PM »
I agree with PRN, this is a precedent I don't think Marquette wants to set.  I am not sure about the NCAA rules on this situation, but even if they would allow it; I do not like the idea of this.  Of course, there is prolly zero chance this would happen or anybody is even considering it; so its prolly a moot point.
This is a unique situation, but not totally unique. Wasn't Bill Walton's kid a "non-scholarship" player at Arizona? Look at it this way, it's like the family endowed a one-year $25,000 scholarship for a student-athlete. Donations like that go on all the time. The only thing that is unusual is how specifically the scholarship is being used.
We Are Marquette

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2007, 01:39:08 PM »

The issue here isn't whether one thinks it's a good approach or not.

I raised it one of a list of alternatives to address having more players than scholarships.  I never claimed it was the best solution, or even a likely one.  But in brainstorming, the goal is to get as many ideas on the table as possible.  

I gave sufficient background to show that the idea was at least plausible--even if not likely.  PRN's typical knee-jerk-fly-off-the handle-give-no-thought approach backfired on him--it was workable under NCAA rules with the downside of limiting things like access to athletic housing or use of training facilities off season. In my mind that makes is workable as a fall back--perhaps even a worst case scenario.   But to PRN, it's the most idiotic thing he's ever heard--even though someting very similar happened at the HS player with a current rostered player.

As you say, it's a moot point now anyway.  But as facts have borne out, PRN was foolish for dismissing it out of hand without waiting for whomever eventually posted the NCAA rules that showed that it could work with limitations.  Just as he was foolish for dismissing the idea that a player would pay his own way to free up a scholarship for someone else.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 01:40:57 PM by Marquette84 »

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2007, 02:03:43 PM »
I was only agreeing with PRN that I didn't like a college coach freeing up a scholarship by becoming a legal guardian.  I didn't think a player paying his own way was irrational or had no chance of happening; I actually thought that was a possibility (even if the chance was slight) and the WSU story posted shows it could have happened. 

I just believe having a coach be a player's legal guardian in order to save a scholarship opens up a whole can of worms that Marquette doesn't want to deal with, even if the NCAA would allow it in certain situations.  I am not attacking the idea or anyone, I just don't like it.  I may have missed it, but was it posted somewhere that the NCAA would allow this, I saw Marquette84 made reference to it but I couldn't find it.  Also, is there any rule about how long you have to be a legal guardian to get benefits, like 5 years or something, so that people couldn't take advantage of this rule.

deerchaser

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2007, 03:13:14 PM »
Finally, my question was answered--no thanks to you, I might add--by someone who pointed out that such players could receive standard employee benefits such as free tuituion under NCAA rules, but not receive special considerations that athletes receive, like housing or access to training facilities off season.

Do they not receive these special considerations because they receive employee benefits or because they're not on athletic scholarship?  Does this mean walk-ons, ala Tommy Brice, aren't able to pop into the Al in the off season?  That seems rough for someone like Brice who one would expect to be on the team again this year.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 03:14:53 PM by johnnypcarr »

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2007, 03:29:43 PM »
Jerry Tarkanian tried the same thing with Lloyd Daniels at UNLV. He had one of his assistants try to adopt Lloyd. Of course, Tark would have recruited bin Laden if he had a crossover dribble.

bartmiller#1

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2007, 05:23:06 PM »
What did Crean say about Barro at the luncheon?

4everwarriors

• All American
Wrong, Ecompt
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2007, 07:06:12 PM »
Bin Laden has the crossover down pat, he just can't finish.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"