Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: FS1 lacking distribution with 3 major carriers (and others)  (Read 21094 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: FS1 lacking distribution with 3 major carriers (and others)
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2013, 07:30:34 PM »
They may wish to be a national network, but they're not. Their appeal is regional, and their content is regional. Very few outside the West Coast/Pac 12 markets care about Pac 12 athletics. I mean, by these parameters, the Longhorn Network is national, too.
What these two networks provide is very different in scope from what FS1 will carry in terms of truly national programming, i.e. MLB, NASCAR, NFL, UFC, even UEFA and, down the line, World Cup soccer. They simply aren't comparable networks in terms of content, appeal and reach ... not to mention the weight of the company behind it.

We agree wholeheartedly, I'm merely talking about classification.  Regional Sports Networks are driven not only by regional interest but by authorization of content, territory, etc.  This is why you can't see Prime Ticket in Chicago as part of your basic service and have to purchase it separately. 

Big Ten, Pac 12, etc are true national networks by definition, but yes we agree on appeal.  I was talking product definition.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2013, 07:34:28 PM »
So, everyone agrees that a deal is almost certain to be made, and at this point the two sides are negotiating financial terms, which is pretty much the standard MO in the business.
How is this different from nearly every business negotiation ever, and, if it's not different, why all the drama?

I don't think everyone agrees the deal is almost certain to be made and would hate to assume that for other providers either.  As stated, far from the slamdunk people thought it would be.  IMO it gets done, but that is merely my opinion only.  Takes two to tango.  Whether that is true across the board for all distributors.... I'm not going there. 

I don't see where any drama has been created, just reporting what has hit the trades today and sharing with some MU fans.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2013, 08:35:44 PM »
ESPN will charge what they charge....there is no reality with them.  They are the 800lb gorilla.

You haven't seen Murdoch's trophy room.  Heads of much scarier things than 800 lb. gorillas in there.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2013, 09:35:43 PM »
Granted, many of our games will be on FS1. 

Will Fox stream games?  Only missed one game, UWGB in two years.  Gotta keep it going.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2013, 10:21:30 PM »
i'd think the advantage of an initial contract would be to gain exposure/viewership  and a large following would be essential for the next contract...then when the contract is up, and you have a strong viewership...play hardball and demand a ridiculous amount of money. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2013, 12:33:10 AM »
You haven't seen Murdoch's trophy room.  Heads of much scarier things than 800 lb. gorillas in there.

He used to own us....then went on record what a terrible mistake he made in selling us.  He's made his share of mistakes....I believe most recently in the UK with illegal wire tapping and probably soon coming to a US Federal Court if the reports are correct.

Shrewd man....but the same guy that bought MySpace and traded Mike Piazza for nothing.  He's not infallible. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2013, 12:33:50 AM »
Granted, many of our games will be on FS1. 

Will Fox stream games?  Only missed one game, UWGB in two years.  Gotta keep it going.

Yes, if your carrier has FS1, the games will be streamed.  The app comes out on August 17th

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2013, 06:02:20 AM »
As a DTV subscriber get it done, Chicos. Or I'll have to start another thread demanding you get banned....again!

Jet915

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2013, 09:37:36 AM »
They would be a small carrier.  The biggies are Comcast, DIRECTV, DISH, Time Warner, Charter, Cox, Fios, Uverse, Cablevision, Suddenlink, Mediacom.  All those have 1 million plus.  Anyone else is considered small.

Don't know what the story is with those guys.  Sometimes the small guys get the deals done first, sometimes they are last. 

Are you sure no FiOS?  I have them and they've already moved the Speed channel right below ESPN...

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2013, 11:36:50 AM »
There you have it, too early for despair!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2013, 12:46:22 PM »
As a DTV subscriber get it done, Chicos. Or I'll have to start another thread demanding you get banned....again!

Trying.  Takes two to tango.  Plus that issue of most customers don't care about sports and don't want their rates increasing.   :-\

Another article today   http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/cable-providers-and-sports-networks-rumble-over-rising-programming-costs.html/?ref=YF

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2013, 08:20:19 PM »
2 weeks out.  Considering how long it typically takes to put up programming (encoders, decoders, shadow testing, etc) I have to think there will be at least a couple of majors that don't have this at launch.  TWC's hardline stance with CBS as of this week is just the latest push back to programmers by distributors that adding another layer of complexity to this. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2013, 09:13:35 PM »
TWC's hardline stance with CBS as of this week is just the latest push back to programmers by distributors that adding another layer of complexity to this. 

TWC is seriously pissing me off as a customer right now. In the past week, we've been without NBC, CBS, and Showtime, and they still don't have a FS1 agreement. As a consolation we were given Starz (and their whopping 2 HD channels) but not Starz On Demand. If I could change carriers, I would in a heartbeat. Being a TWC customer sucks.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

muuu

• Walk-On
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2013, 09:23:19 PM »
I have charter and will try to call them to put the pressure on.  But what # or location should I call?   Maybe someone could put together a list of all the carriers with the best numbers (and possibly an execs name) to get the phone athon going.  And send it to the other big east boards to do the same.  Of course it's easy to suggest but someone has to do it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2013, 09:25:54 PM »
TWC is seriously pissing me off as a customer right now. In the past week, we've been without NBC, CBS, and Showtime, and they still don't have a FS1 agreement. As a consolation we were given Starz (and their whopping 2 HD channels) but not Starz On Demand. If I could change carriers, I would in a heartbeat. Being a TWC customer sucks.

Direct TV here.  (You're welcome Chicos.)  Hundred times better than any cable company.  I won't complain about FS1 until basketball season.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2013, 09:41:04 PM »

I am with ya, brew. My wife and I seriously love Dexter, and there's only a couple episodes left to the series. And now, just like that, we don't have Showtime.

I know there are bigger problems in the world. But in my little corner of the world, this blows.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2013, 09:46:06 PM »
I have charter and will try to call them to put the pressure on.  But what # or location should I call?   Maybe someone could put together a list of all the carriers with the best numbers (and possibly an execs name) to get the phone athon going.  And send it to the other big east boards to do the same.  Of course it's easy to suggest but someone has to do it.

The challenge is that for every call they get from you to add it, they'll get calls asking not to add it because they don't care about sports and know it adds cost to their bills.  I say do what you feel is right, but that's the dynamic at hand.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2013, 09:47:56 PM »

Direct TV here.  (You're welcome Chicos.)  Hundred times better than any cable company.  I won't complain about FS1 until basketball season.

Curious why you say that about direct.

I don't have an axe to grind with either.

I am a long term comcast customer.  Not by choice. I find my bundled package to perform well. However, I hate the lack of competition for a similarly bundled service with the same features and a better price.

I avoid satellite tv as I believe any service that gets interrupted by a passing shower is frustrating.

My preference is reliability like comcast, with a more
competitive market.

Discuss...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2013, 09:49:48 PM »
2HD channels for Starz?  Yikes. We have 7 I think.  I actually support what TMC is doing with CBS \ Showtime (same company), however.  We just got done with our CBS Showtime deal last year...I got to spend part of my High School Reunion on the phone during the final piece of negotiation.  The broadcasters (over the air guys) asking for $2 per sub for something you can get for free with rabbit years is ballsy.  

Why are you missing out on CBS Brew?  I thought it was only owned and operated CBS channels like Dallas, LA, NYC, etc that got shut down.  Milwaukee isn't an O & O. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 09:52:45 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2013, 09:54:27 PM »

I am a long term comcast customer.  Not by choice. I find my bundled package to perform well. However, I hate the lack of competition for a similarly bundled service with the same features and a better price.

I avoid satellite tv as I believe any service that gets interrupted by a passing shower is frustrating.

competitive market.

Discuss...

Unless there is a driving rainstorm...or the dish is covered with snow...the service is just fine.  The picture for DTV is phenominal.  Better than I ever got from my cable company.  Furthermore their DVR is great and much cheaper than anything I could get from cable, especially since I can watch it on one of four TVs through my house.

Finally, I pay less for DTV plus cable ISP than I did for a bundled package.  Considering the number of channels I get, I find it to be a fantastic deal.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2013, 09:55:36 PM »

competitive market.

Discuss...

If your service is interrupted by a "passing shower", usually means the dish isn't properly aligned.  Yes, even a perfectly aligned dish can be interrupted, but rarely.  I have videos of satellite staying on air during Katrina for example.  If it goes out routinely, that's a misaligned dish that should be recalibrated.  If signal strength is only in the 70's or low 80's on a clear day, then I would say a repointing is in order.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2013, 10:21:48 PM »
Chicos, is there a list published somewhere of the smaller carriers that have signed on?  I have WideOpenWest (WOW) in the Chicago area, and wonder if they're in yet.

brandx

« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2013, 10:38:42 PM »
I am with ya, brew. My wife and I seriously love Dexter, and there's only a couple episodes left to the series. And now, just like that, we don't have Showtime.

I know there are bigger problems in the world. But in my little corner of the world, this blows.

Agree completely - Dexter isn't as good as the first few years, but it's still a Sunday night ritual (wrong word perhaps) for my wife and I.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2013, 11:39:18 PM »
2HD channels for Starz?  Yikes. We have 7 I think.  I actually support what TMC is doing with CBS \ Showtime (same company), however.  We just got done with our CBS Showtime deal last year...I got to spend part of my High School Reunion on the phone during the final piece of negotiation.  The broadcasters (over the air guys) asking for $2 per sub for something you can get for free with rabbit years is ballsy.  

Why are you missing out on CBS Brew?  I thought it was only owned and operated CBS channels like Dallas, LA, NYC, etc that got shut down.  Milwaukee isn't an O & O. 

They sent something out about CBS, and thought we were losing it at the same time as NBC. Still there, apparently...but regardless, TWC is still a let-down. Their start over feature only seems to work for NBC (off the air now) and both Dexter and Ray Donovan are off the menu. And Starz without on demand is a weak replacement.

I might have to look into DirecTV, though I'm not even sure I am eligible to get it. Our condo complex has a contract with TWC that prevents us from using other cable providers, which shuts out AT&T, though I'm not sure if it applies to satellite.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2013, 03:19:46 PM »
Agree completely - Dexter isn't as good as the first few years, but it's still a Sunday night ritual (wrong word perhaps) for my wife and I.

Ray Donovan on Showtime...very good.