'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Top Scorers  (Read 4814 times)

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
Re: Top Scorers
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2013, 04:54:37 PM »
With very, very few exceptions, Jamil has not yet shown he has the personality to be a take-charge guy. The emphasis is on the "yet." Maybe he has that in him but has been waiting for the opportunity.

The other thing to consider is that, because he's not a guard, he will not naturally have the ball in his hands a lot. He has to show he can handle the ball a lot better than he has, that he can take it to the rim a lot better than he has and that he will call for the rock a lot more than he has.

For all of his talent, Jamil has shown a willingness to drift mindlessly for long stretches of games. I'm talking, 10, 12, 15 minutes without even attempting a shot. Obviously, that has to change.

I know it's hard to see on television, but if you have ever seen any of the scrimmages or the games in person, Jamil is definitely a team leader and Buzz is constantly communicating with him, and Jamil ultimately coaching everybody else on the floor. It was especially noticeable at Halloween hoops, and after the Syracuse game when Buzz gave Jamil all of the credit for allowing him to play Davante and Christ together.

With this said, Jamil's not the most aggressive shooter/scorer in the world, and I think that is the next step for him. He has to take shots and be productive even if the match-up isn't perfect.  He's not going to be a 20pt per game guy... but he can/should score more than he has in the past.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2013, 04:57:55 PM »
I know it's hard to see on television, but if you have ever seen any of the scrimmages or the games in person, Jamil is definitely a team leader and Buzz is constantly communicating with him, and Jamil ultimately coaching everybody else on the floor. It was especially noticeable at Halloween hoops, and after the Syracuse game when Buzz gave Jamil all of the credit for allowing him to play Davante and Christ together.

With this said, Jamil's not the most aggressive shooter/scorer in the world, and I think that is the next step for him. He has to take shots and be productive even if the match-up isn't perfect.  He's not going to be a 20pt per game guy... but he can/should score more than he has in the past.
No wonder we won that game.  ;D

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2013, 07:44:12 PM »
While I cannot argue with anything you said, I can counter with this...Couldn't the same be said for Jimmy going into his senior season?  He was a role player who was very efficient inside offensively, but had never shown any signs of being a willing mid-range jump shooter (though his FT shooting suggested he would be good if he would just pull the trigger), never handled the ball a lot or had any signs of being a true team leader.  That is the great thing about Buzz, he challenges guys and pushes them to new limits that a lot of times they did not even think were possible.  I fully expect somebody to make that jump up.  My vote would be for Jamil because he can effect both ends of the floor.  I expect a similar season to Jimmy's senior year from him.

Except for stroke 3s -- and even there, Jamil has been streaky -- Butler did pretty much everything better as a junior than Jamil did. Scored more. Was much more aggressive with the balls, drew a lot more fouls, shot a higher percentage, rebounded better, was infinitely more intense and defended 5x better. I mean, it's not close. And that was only Jimmy's second year in the program and his first as a starter. Jamil has been around for three years already.

I'd settle for Jamil as a senior being 80% as effective and intense as Jimmy was as a junior!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

beercanindasky

• Walk-On
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2014, 08:53:17 AM »
Bump.  You had a better start with this topic.  Now in hindsight...