Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Possibly Buzz??  (Read 8370 times)

martyconlonontherun

• All American
Re: Possibly Buzz??
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2013, 07:18:05 PM »
I see no inconsistency in that. Buzz was railing against the man when he made the burger comment. Same good ole boy pissed off at the powers that be. The man might wear Gucci loafers now but he wouldn't be upset if he stepped in cow sh1t with them.

The inconsistency I see is that Buzz has said he wanted the road to be hard to make his players tougher. He later makes a point to make changes to make life better for his players. I'm not saying he is a hypocrite, but rather his standards have changed. I don't think anyone really believes Buzz would be ok coaching the lower levels or "in a Rec center".  Buzz is big-time right now and isn't one who shys from the spotlight. I've actually heard rumors Buzz was not a big fan of the new conference, but I'm sure he is smart enough to realize this was option A.

I could easily Buzz saying he wants to be in the underdog league just as easily as Buzz saying he wants to be in the best league. It just depends on what day the mic is in front of him for long, winding speech on whatever is on his mind that day. Buzz speaks his mind, which I love about him.

For the record, I don't think this is him since I think it fits other coaches in the conference between who won't get a good seed like Creighton and MU.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2013, 07:35:54 PM »
The inconsistency I see is that Buzz has said he wanted the road to be hard to make his players tougher. He later makes a point to make changes to make life better for his players. I'm not saying he is a hypocrite, but rather his standards have changed. I don't think anyone really believes Buzz would be ok coaching the lower levels or "in a Rec center".  Buzz is big-time right now and isn't one who shys from the spotlight. I've actually heard rumors Buzz was not a big fan of the new conference, but I'm sure he is smart enough to realize this was option A.

I could easily Buzz saying he wants to be in the underdog league just as easily as Buzz saying he wants to be in the best league. It just depends on what day the mic is in front of him for long, winding speech on whatever is on his mind that day. Buzz speaks his mind, which I love about him.

For the record, I don't think this is him since I think it fits other coaches in the conference between who won't get a good seed like Creighton and MU.

Buzz is a sly fox. And I would attribute his outburst during the Dance to his wife's being in the hospital. But I agree this is likely not him. I tend to think this sounds like Lavin.

Death on call

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2013, 07:38:38 PM »
Buzz is a sly fox. And I would attribute his outburst during the Dance to his wife's being in the hospital. But I agree this is likely not him. I tend to think this sounds like Lavin.

How about Wright? Seems like a team that would be hurt also by not being in the Old BEast.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2013, 07:43:03 PM »
Ehhhh, Buzz will say whatever is on his mind. The same Buzz who relishes how his players traveled on late-night buses as JUCO's was the same guy bitching about the hamburger after the NCAA tourney. Not saying he is wrong, but rather he just probably has higher standards now.

Isn't grabbin' a burger after a game the quintessential JUCO thing to do?

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2013, 07:53:01 PM »
I would bet money on JT3. Georgetown was the school dragging its feet when the Catholic 7 were trying to organize. They would jump to the ACC in a second if offered the opportunity.....though to be honest, we probably would too.

A coach whining about at-large bids doesn't figure to be a veteran coah like Buzz, JT III, Jay Wright, or McDermott.  May want to look down to the St. John's, PC, or Xavier tier where an at large bid may not be available.

DePaul, not so much.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2013, 07:54:47 PM »
Isn't grabbin' a burger after a game the quintessential JUCO thing to do?

I can just see Buzz lumbering into Whataburger at Zero Dark Thirty with a ravenous hunger, a sawbuck in his jeans, and ordering a Double Meat #5 with grilled onions, a side of Jalapenos, an an extra large sweet tea.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2013, 08:56:07 PM »
BTW, anyone who has spent time in the Republic Of Tejas or those territories fortunate enough to be adjacent to its magnificence will understand the beauty of Whataburger. I did UPT at Vance AFB in Enid, OK. The only redeeming quality was that it had Whataburger stands strategically located within crawling distance of its many honky tonks. There is nothing more merciful than a double meat #5 to soak up all the beer in your gut at 0330. 

Death on call

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2013, 09:30:13 PM »
BTW, anyone who has spent time in the Republic Of Tejas or those territories fortunate enough to be adjacent to its magnificence will understand the beauty of Whataburger. I did UPT at Vance AFB in Enid, OK. The only redeeming quality was that it had Whataburger stands strategically located within crawling distance of its many honky tonks. There is nothing more merciful than a double meat #5 to soak up all the beer in your gut at 0330. 

Whataburger is good quality, especially their patty melt, but Five Guys is better...also got to have a shout out for a nice double double animal style.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2013, 10:18:21 PM »
I do think we have to recognize the reality that ESPN has a monopoly on sports broadcasting. When I wake up in the morning I turn on Mike and Mike. When I'm bored at work I read ESPN. When I can't watch the games, I keep track with my ESPN Score Center App. And while I know my behavior is not generalizeable to all sports fans, it is very close to generalizeable for most basketball recruits. Kids want to play on ESPN. Yes, we will get some coverage by ESPN, but we should expect less stories and less highlights on sportscenter. It's simple economics.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2013, 10:27:02 PM »
I do think we have to recognize the reality that ESPN has a monopoly on sports broadcasting. When I wake up in the morning I turn on Mike and Mike. When I'm bored at work I read ESPN. When I can't watch the games, I keep track with my ESPN Score Center App. And while I know my behavior is not generalizeable to all sports fans, it is very close to generalizeable for most basketball recruits. Kids want to play on ESPN. Yes, we will get some coverage by ESPN, but we should expect less stories and less highlights on sportscenter. It's simple economics.
Not to mention bars and restaurants are defaulted to ESPN. Usually you have to ask to turn it to Fox or something else.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2013, 11:14:58 PM »
Whataburger is good quality, especially their patty melt, but Five Guys is better...also got to have a shout out for a nice double double animal style.

I would agree that Five Guys is better but the problem is that Five Guys ain't open at 0330 in Enid, OK or Lubbock, TX. And frankly, that is when the craving for greasy gut bombs is fully pegged. Whataburger is that alluring seductress who enchants through the Shiner Bock fueled fog with the promise of blessed redemption from the impending doom of the looming morning.

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2013, 11:37:38 PM »

Fox recognizes that.  In fact this is exactly what their head of sports marketing told us last week.  When a sports fan turns on the television they go to ESPN first.  He believes that won't change, but he wants you to go to FS1 second before you go anywhere else.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2013, 11:38:48 PM »
Had In N Out tonight...double double, extra sauce, Grilled onions.  Tasty

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2013, 12:12:58 AM »
I would agree that Five Guys is better but the problem is that Five Guys ain't open at 0330 in Enid, OK or Lubbock, TX. And frankly, that is when the craving for greasy gut bombs is fully pegged. Whataburger is that alluring seductress who enchants through the Shiner Bock fueled fog with the promise of blessed redemption from the impending doom of the looming morning.

Valid point.  The bolded section reminds me of Joseph Conrad for some reason.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2013, 12:25:53 AM »
Had In N Out tonight...

A little personal?...

I can all but guarantee I'll hit the In N Out on Dean Martin in Vegas later this month. But LATE NIGHT. Last year I wanted to take a short, mid-afternoon break from watching bball.. ate at In N Out and fell asleep after trying to "rest my eyes" for just a few minutes back at the hotel.

Fortunately some trannies yelling loudly outside (not yelling at ME) woke me up after a couple of hours.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2013, 12:36:48 AM »
Valid point.  The bolded section reminds me of Joseph Conrad for some reason.

The horror...the horror...

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2013, 12:48:57 AM »
I wanted to take a short, mid-afternoon break from watching bball..

I didn't know you could "watch bball" at Sapphire

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2013, 01:05:16 AM »
Had In N Out tonight...double double, extra sauce, Grilled onions.  Tasty

I know you are from the OC but I have to say In N Out is a mere pretender against the likes of Five Guys and Whataburger. (Full Disclosure: I am from DC but Five Guys really only caught on after my time in the NCR.) Whataburger has stood the test of time, serving three generations of beer swilling night crawlers in the American Southwest with coronary-inducing goodness and has been endorsed by no less an authority than Mr. Hank Hill.

Death on call

El Duderino

• Team Captain
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2013, 04:53:25 AM »

I worry about this also.

So many sports fans simply are conditioned to watch various shows and games on ESPN. I'm one of those sports fans and so are my buddies. During college basketball season, ESPN will have games on multiple channels. They have the college basketball show on most nights to recap all of the games.

This makes me fear that our Big East games will mainly just be watched by fans of the teams playing for at least a year or two unless Fox can create creative enough programming to draw everyday sports fans away from ESPN.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2013, 05:03:55 AM »
I worry about this also.

So many sports fans simply are conditioned to watch various shows and games on ESPN. I'm one of those sports fans and so are my buddies. During college basketball season, ESPN will have games on multiple channels. They have the college basketball show on most nights to recap all of the games.

This makes me fear that our Big East games will mainly just be watched by fans of the teams playing for at least a year or two unless Fox can create creative enough programming to draw everyday sports fans away from ESPN.

Of all the things I have to deal with in life, I really can't "worry" and "fear" this kind of stuff.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2013, 07:58:24 AM »
If Providence finishes 8 I will be shocked. Should be top 5

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2013, 08:12:48 AM »

What a burger has the best ketchup,  (just saying). 

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2013, 08:46:39 AM »
If Providence finishes 8 I will be shocked. Should be top 5

There are 8 teams that should be top 5. Unfortunately, only 5 of them will actually make it. 

Right now most put MU, Georgetown, Villanova and Creighton easily in the top half.  That leaves one top-5 spot for Xavier, Butler, St. Johns, & Providence.  I don't think Butler, St Johns or Xavier finishing ahead of Providence would be all that shocking.

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2013, 08:47:10 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't Fox said they are going to market FS1 hard during the later half of the MLB season and the playoffs as well as next week during the all star game? Also, if they are going to be pushing hard I'm sure they will promote the conference during the NFL season in December since conference play starts as the NFL regular season ends. If they do all this I'm sure people will know where to find these events.

Also, FOX has proven that they can come in to a competitive market and eventually compete. No one thought they would last and thought we had enough broadcast channels with ABC, NBC, and CBS. It may take a few years but I think, especially from people here, that people are starting to get tired of ESPN so now is the chance to finally have a good second sports network.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2013, 08:59:02 AM »
The new league gives us the opportunity to become its Duke, NC, Kansas or UCLA. Let's start by winning the league this year.

feedback