'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Early Non-Con schedule  (Read 44478 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Early Non-Con schedule
« Reply #100 on: July 11, 2013, 09:33:37 AM »
As did I... but my intel came from ND's camp.

That MU is ducking ND??

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #101 on: July 11, 2013, 09:38:09 AM »
Too many sub-250 teams for my liking. A lot has to break right for this schedule not to end up one covered with almost as many negatives as it has positives. If we lose 3 or more of our big games, our NC season could look very disappointing come January. Needed more 100-200 teams than sub-250s.

Let's be more specific. Whether a team is sub-250 or in the high 100's doesn't matter. Their expected unadjusted win-loss record is what matters. The importance of this distinction is extraordinarily important.

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #102 on: July 11, 2013, 09:42:26 AM »

That MU is ducking ND??

What I was told was simply that the ADs were on board but one person was standing in the way.  Given the source, I inferred that it was Buzz, but upon further conversation, no one was denying that Brey was the opposition.  Putting that piece together with what Warriorchick was told (likely by the same person who has spilled the beans before), I'm 99% convinced it's Brey.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #103 on: July 11, 2013, 10:07:47 AM »
Too many sub-250 teams for my liking. A lot has to break right for this schedule not to end up one covered with almost as many negatives as it has positives. If we lose 3 or more of our big games, our NC season could look very disappointing come January. Needed more 100-200 teams than sub-250s.

The only non-conference games that matter ARE the big ones.

Sweep Ohio State, Wisconsin, New Mexico, Arizona State, and win the Wooden Classic, and it won't matter who the other six non-conf wins were against (as long as we don't lose them).  

Lose all 7 of those, and there is no amount of schedule engineering among the cupcakes (even if we sweep them) that will redeem us.

And in the last two years, if we had played (and beaten) a sub-250 team, instead of playing (and losing) to UWGB or LSU, we would have been mathematiclly better off in the RPI.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #104 on: July 11, 2013, 10:18:34 AM »
What I was told was simply that the ADs were on board but one person was standing in the way.  Given the source, I inferred that it was Buzz, but upon further conversation, no one was denying that Brey was the opposition.  Putting that piece together with what Warriorchick was told (likely by the same person who has spilled the beans before), I'm 99% convinced it's Brey.

So, because someone didn't prove a negative it allowed for conviction?

I'm sure there's an Irishchick on the NDNation board writing she got it straight from the mouth of a person who would be considered an extremely reliable source in matters of NDBB scheduling that Buzz is ducking it. So, which one is hearsay and which one is gospel?

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2013, 10:27:59 AM »
The only non-conference games that matter ARE the big ones.

Sweep Ohio State, Wisconsin, New Mexico, Arizona State, and win the Wooden Classic, and it won't matter who the other six non-conf wins were against (as long as we don't lose them).  

Lose all 7 of those, and there is no amount of schedule engineering among the cupcakes (even if we sweep them) that will redeem us.

And in the last two years, if we had played (and beaten) a sub-250 team, instead of playing (and losing) to UWGB or LSU, we would have been mathematiclly better off in the RPI.

There is a happy medium.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #106 on: July 11, 2013, 10:32:58 AM »
As has been said many times, No Dick is the ultimate in arrogance!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #107 on: July 11, 2013, 10:34:51 AM »

I'm sure there's an Irishchick on the NDNation board writing she got it straight from the mouth of a person who would be considered an extremely reliable source in matters of NDBB scheduling that Buzz is ducking it. So, which one is hearsay and which one is gospel?

We will likely never know completely...I mean, it's just a message board.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #108 on: July 11, 2013, 10:38:47 AM »

That's not true. Again, what your opponent's RPI is doesn't matter.

In fact, if MU would have hosted and beat up on #297 St. Peter's in 2011-12 instead of travelling to LSU and losing, MU's RPI would have been WORSE.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #109 on: July 11, 2013, 12:02:34 PM »

Believe me or don't believe me, I really don't care.

But let me just say this:  If you wrote down the names of all the people from whom you'd believe as truth anything they said about Marrquette/ND scheduling, I guarantee you that my source would be on that list.
Have some patience, FFS.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #110 on: July 11, 2013, 01:37:30 PM »
This is a great schedule.

We have 3 spots left. I hope we fill them with either 3 buy games or 2 buy games and a home-and-home starting at the BC.

'MU will host IUPUI (Dec. 14) and Ball State (Dec. 17) before facing New Mexico in Las Vegas on Dec. 21. The non-conference finale comes at home on Dec. 28 against Samford, coached by former Marquette assistant coach Bennie Seltzer.'

So we added the 3 buy games as predicted.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #111 on: July 11, 2013, 02:02:36 PM »

You completely missed the point, but no matter... no one here is telling you what to believe (EDIT - my signature line notwithstanding).  We're merely sharing our perspective(s).  Honestly, it's not like we've got Wikileak-level stuff here; if you went down to the Al, introduced yourself as an alum to a staffer of your choice, and asked what the deal was with not having ND on the schedule was, you'd probably get a straight answer.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 02:04:23 PM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #112 on: July 11, 2013, 02:16:49 PM »
Is this a true statement?
You hurt your RPI, if you win and you help your RPI, if you lose.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #113 on: July 11, 2013, 02:22:39 PM »

Looks pretty spot-on to me.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #114 on: July 11, 2013, 03:02:04 PM »

It certainly can be.

There are several variables. Most importantly, (a) where you play (home/away/neutral) and (b) the win-loss record of your opponent.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #115 on: July 11, 2013, 04:15:17 PM »
You completely missed the point, but no matter... no one here is telling you what to believe (EDIT - my signature line notwithstanding).  We're merely sharing our perspective(s).  Honestly, it's not like we've got Wikileak-level stuff here; if you went down to the Al, introduced yourself as an alum to a staffer of your choice, and asked what the deal was with not having ND on the schedule was, you'd probably get a straight answer.

Hey, sounds great. Thanks.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #116 on: July 11, 2013, 04:47:44 PM »
All right, here is why I hate cupcakes on our schedule.

1) There is no upside. If we win, big deal, we were supposed to win. If we lose, we risk our season. As I noted earlier, Green Bay last year was an embarrassment. The only good thing about losing to Green Bay was Brian Wardle is head coach. We slipped against a crappy mid-major when it mattered once -- Miami of Ohio in 1978 (note-- it was  not our choice to play them!!!) and our program went in a 15 to 20 year tailspin.

2) For all of the crap that "it is about money," baloney. If we replaced Southern, Grambling any other sub-150 team on our schedule, with even the bottom half of the Big 10, SEC or ACC, we'd be better off. We'd get more of a game and we'd draw a much larger crowd. Look at the LSU game last year, for example.

3) With the loss of Louisville, the Huggie Bear (man, I miss him), Cincinnati, UConn, Pitt and the Irish, our noncon schedule becomes even more important. I'm not as down on our conference schedule as most people seem to be, but I admit we're not thrown into the fire every night the way we were last year, or the year before. Quality noncon games ceratinly would make up for the loss of these teams. In fact, I'd argue Louisville, ND and Cincy are traditional Marquette opponents going back decades. We ought to be playing them and boosting our RPI when we beat them.

4) I think we can get ready for conference play by playing real teams.

So, if Big Boys don't play big boys, they should!

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #117 on: July 11, 2013, 05:16:24 PM »
That's not true. Again, what your opponent's RPI is doesn't matter.

In fact, if MU would have hosted and beat up on #297 St. Peter's in 2011-12 instead of travelling to LSU and losing, MU's RPI would have been WORSE.

Maybe so, but there are a lot of teams between 250+ where we would have been better off. The point is that having big wins matter more than RPI.

For example, strictly according to the RPI, our #13 rank should have made us 4 seed. We moved up to a 3 for reasons other than our RPI--winning the BE and several impressive wins--NC over Wisconsin,  Georgetown, Pitt and Syracuse.

RPI #12 Memphis should have been a 3-seed--they engineered a very Brew-approved non-conference schedule that beefed up on top 100 and 100 to 200 non-conference opponents.  

So why did they not get a 3 seed?  Well, losing to VCU, Minny, UL and Xavier in non-conference didn't help.  And they had nobody remotely close to UW, GU, Pitt and Syracuse on the win side.  

Brew's theory suggests that Memphis would have had a better seed if only they scheduled  #190 Charleston Southern and #105 Tennessee State instead of #319 Austin Peay and #312 Tennessee Martin.

His theory doesn't explain why--having already beefed up their schedule to achieve a #12 RPI, beefing it up further would have any different result.  Memphis DID that, had a better RPI, and got stuck with an 8-seed becuase they had no quality wins.  

When it came down to seedings, Memphis better RPI didn't matter. Marquette's big-time wins did. We had them, Memphis didn't.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #118 on: July 11, 2013, 09:36:11 PM »
All right, here is why I hate cupcakes on our schedule.

1) There is no upside. If we win, big deal, we were supposed to win. If we lose, we risk our season. As I noted earlier, Green Bay last year was an embarrassment. The only good thing about losing to Green Bay was Brian Wardle is head coach.
It was no that big of an embarassment and it probably did not cost us anything. I think we still would of been a three seed, if Thomas had hit the shot to win the game. However, early road games are very hard to win so it would make sense to play the toughest teams possible early on the road to make your scheule look better.

mubb34

• Team Captain
« Reply #119 on: July 15, 2013, 08:03:40 PM »
I am not going to complain about the schedule at all...A road trip to Madison and the NCAA Tournament make it all worth it.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #120 on: August 06, 2013, 06:01:07 PM »
The Milwaukee Bucks schedule is out, so how does this open the door for times for MU home games on Saturday's. Still waiting on the Admirals schedule.

Nov. 16 vs Ohio State will be a day game. Bucks play at the BC at night. Game might fall down to FS2 for the game.

Dec. 14-IUPUI, no Bucks

Dec. 28-Samford, day game. Bucks play at the BC at night.

Jan. 4- no Bucks

Jan. 11 no Bucks

Jan. 18- no Bucks

Jan. 25- Bucks play at the BC at night.

Feb 1- no Bucks

Feb 8- Bucks play at the BC at night

Feb 15- All Star Weekend

Feb. 22- Bucks play at the BC at night.

March 1- Bucks play at the BC at night.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #121 on: August 06, 2013, 06:09:13 PM »
The Milwaukee Bucks schedule is out, so how does this open the door for times for MU home games on Saturday's. Still waiting on the Admirals schedule.

Nov. 16 vs Ohio State will be a day game. Bucks play at the BC at night. Game might fall down to FS2 for the game.

Dec. 14-IUPUI, no Bucks

Dec. 28-Samford, day game. Bucks play at the BC at night.

Jan. 4- no Bucks

Jan. 11 no Bucks

Jan. 18- no Bucks

Jan. 25- Bucks play at the BC at night.

Feb 1- no Bucks

Feb 8- Bucks play at the BC at night

Feb 15- All Star Weekend

Feb. 22- Bucks play at the BC at night.

March 1- Bucks play at the BC at night.

Pretty sure hockey has priority over MU.  So I'd expect the Admirals to grab many of those dates.  But I wouldn't be shocked to see some marquee conference games work their way toward a later afternoon, early evening start to accommodate FS1.  I wonder if there's conversation/negotiation behind the scenes that takes place. 

THEultimateWARRIOR

• Team Captain
« Reply #122 on: August 06, 2013, 06:36:51 PM »

Man I was really hoping that game would be at night...

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #123 on: August 06, 2013, 07:56:37 PM »
Pretty sure hockey has priority over MU.  So I'd expect the Admirals to grab many of those dates.  But I wouldn't be shocked to see some marquee conference games work their way toward a later afternoon, early evening start to accommodate FS1.  I wonder if there's conversation/negotiation behind the scenes that takes place. 

Not positive but I thought the Admirals lost their #2 slotting when the Pettit Estate sold the team.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #124 on: August 06, 2013, 07:58:30 PM »
Where is UW-Milwaukee...I so want to play them again

feedback