collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Gary From Evanston  (Read 18683 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: Gary From Evanston
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2013, 10:36:03 AM »
That's a fantastic point, and illustrates the worst quality of these guys. They are, for lack of a better word, bullies. But instead of picking on the weak kid on the playground, they pick on the weak kid who doesn't know any better than to not call their show. Maybe, in some regard, that means those callers are asking for it, but that makes it no less off-putting. And many B&B fans, of course, eat it up because it allows them to feel superior to the meathead caller. (Side note: if you spend a significant part of your day listening to sports radio, chances are you aren't half as smart as you believe).

Like the legendary caller that said Greg Maddux isn't a first ballot hall of famer because there was a large strikezone when he pitched?

That was a classic.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2013, 11:14:58 AM »
I like them because they don't do the traditional "meathead + host"= sports radio show.

Mike+Mike is the worst thing I have ever heard in my life, and I have no idea how anybody listens to that.

Boers and Bernstein can be pretty brutal, and you can tell when Bernstein is in a mood, and they just give him some callers to blast. I find myself turning the channel pretty quickly when that starts.

But, it's still one of the smarter shows around if you actually listen to the content. They don't just trot out a bunch of sports cliches and then agree with every stupid caller "Yea, the Bears need to play more physical!". They try to dig out some factual sports nuggets and then discuss if it's important or not. I like that approach.

I catch about 20min. per day, and I think that's enough. I don't think I could listen all-day everyday.

I actually really like Lawrence Holmes a lot, I think he's the hidden gem on that station.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2013, 11:20:59 AM »
I like them because they don't do the traditional "meathead + host"= sports radio show.

Mike+Mike is the worst thing I have ever heard in my life, and I have no idea how anybody listens to that.

Boers and Bernstein can be pretty brutal, and you can tell when Bernstein is in a mood, and they just give him some callers to blast. I find myself turning the channel pretty quickly when that starts.

But, it's still one of the smarter shows around if you actually listen to the content. They don't just trot out a bunch of sports cliches and then agree with every stupid caller "Yea, the Bears need to play more physical!". They try to dig out some factual sports nuggets and then discuss if it's important or not. I like that approach.

I catch about 20min. per day, and I think that's enough. I don't think I could listen all-day everyday.

I actually really like Lawrence Holmes a lot, I think he's the hidden gem on that station.

Mike and Mike is truly awful. Its 90% NFL, even in the offseason, 90% of their NFL coverage is Greeny talking about the Jets. Just like their ESPN parent, they overkill the big stories like Manti Teo and Tebow. Gets really old.

I know a lot of guys on here don't care for it, but IMO Mully and Hanley is the best sports talk in Chicagoland.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2013, 11:53:05 AM »
I know a lot of guys on here don't care for it, but IMO Mully and Hanley is the best sports talk in Chicagoland.

I can't get past the yelling. Honestly, it bothers me so much that I can't listen to it.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2013, 12:05:07 PM »
Mike and Mike is truly awful. Its 90% NFL, even in the offseason, 90% of their NFL coverage is Greeny talking about the Jets. Just like their ESPN parent, they overkill the big stories like Manti Teo and Tebow. Gets really old.

All of what you said is true, although they do get a good number of athletes, coaches, or national writers that can be good to listen to.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2013, 12:40:48 PM »
And I can honestly say that I think anyone who doesn't appreciate them has no taste.  Not so sorry.
I rest my case.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2013, 12:50:09 PM »
Can't wait to hear what Tanny puts together for the Gary tribute during WYC tomorrow.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2013, 12:50:23 PM »

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2013, 12:53:24 PM »
Somewhere Gary and Youppi are watching Bonanza reruns.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2013, 01:09:52 PM »
Dude, Youppi! is still alive and well with the Montreal Canadiens.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2013, 01:22:36 PM »

OOOOOOO UNBELIEVABLE!

I used to enjoy Hanley, but that guy is just getting downright insufferable. He is so down on everything. It's good radio though, they get top-notch guests and it's factual radio without the cliches.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 01:25:31 PM by PTM »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2013, 02:11:06 PM »
OOOOOOO UNBELIEVABLE!

I used to enjoy Hanley, but that guy is just getting downright insufferable. He is so down on everything. It's good radio though, they get top-notch guests and it's factual radio without the cliches.

I thought their Hawks coverage over the playoffs was quite good. And Hanley is an MU alum.

Mully's screaming does get annoying. I'll concede that.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2013, 02:36:43 PM »
Somewhere Gary and Youppi are watching Bonanza reruns.

That's too funny.  I remember going to an Expos game back in the late 90s and remarking to my wife "what the heck is that?"

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2013, 02:49:52 PM »
That's too funny.  I remember going to an Expos game back in the late 90s and remarking to my wife "what the heck is that?"

Bleuteaux's bastard son.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2013, 02:59:05 PM »
Bleuteaux's bastard son.

Bleuteaux and Otto the Orange procreated.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2013, 09:39:39 PM »
a second to Lawrence Holmes.  love listening to him at night.  good, solid, old school radio guy that knows his stuff and delivers it very well.  gets good interviews with the bears players as well.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2013, 08:32:29 AM »
Many of the comments here are spot-on.  They are bullies and can be insufferable (especially Bernstein); they also are fairly intelligent and certainly are better than most (though, as I am not half as smart I think I am, this assessment may be off ::) ).  I give them a shot on my drive home, and I'll stick with them for 10 or 15 minutes about half the time. But always on Thursday afternoon for HYC--I really will miss Gary!

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2013, 08:44:45 AM »
A recent example is their gushing over the gay basketball player, who's name escapes me. Bernstien in particular is beyond ridiculous. The word "gay" has been used on that show as an insult exponentially more than it is in the average high school. Yet, Bernstein can't help trying to show the world just how enlightened and open-minded he is by celebrating the guy's courage is to come out, and stepping overhimself to label anyone who questions anything about it some sort of biggot. Spare me. There may not be a person who will face less turmoil or ridicule after coming out than this guy. Beyond that, I don't think anybody even cares. The only people who seem to be talking about it or making any sort of issue of it, are those people like Dan Bernstien simply so they can feel better about themselves.

I remember that segment. A black caller said that while he personally disagrees with gay marraige as a Christian, he would have no problem supporting Collins. And Bernstein completely ripped him a new one, saying that because the caller is black he should be ashamed of himself, he's a bigot, etc etc. It was painful to listen to.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2013, 08:57:21 AM »
I remember that segment. A black caller said that while he personally disagrees with gay marraige as a Christian, he would have no problem supporting Collins. And Bernstein completely ripped him a new one, saying that because the caller is black he should be ashamed of himself, he's a bigot, etc etc. It was painful to listen to.

Yea, sometimes when Danny gets going, he can't stop and he misses the point.

I thought their conversations on the Collins stuff was pretty interesting (to start), but instead of fighting ignorance with logic, Bernstein got all "ranty" and then it basically turned into a poop fight.

I'll say this, I often agree with Bernstein, I also often find myself thinking: We get it Dan, move on. Stop ranting.

I actually think their show is too long. If you put them on for a tight 3 hours, it might clean up some of the ranting and nonsense because there is no time for that. Right now they are on for 5 hours, which gives them a lot of freedom, but also leads to some unneeded nonsense because they have a lot of airtime to fill.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2013, 09:25:11 AM »
a second to Lawrence Holmes.  love listening to him at night.  good, solid, old school radio guy that knows his stuff and delivers it very well.  gets good interviews with the bears players as well.

LoHolm is a gem, but sometimes he gets a little too slupry with the Bears players, my only knock.

Also loves talking college hoops and loves how Marquette has built the program.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2013, 05:06:53 PM »
Gary from Evanston tribute begins now in place of Who You Crappin!

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2013, 11:04:24 PM »
I'll definitely miss Gary from Evanston.   

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2013, 03:51:48 PM »
Tannehill's tribute was great.
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/07/11/listen-gary-from-evanston-tribute/

As for the detour this thread has taken, I should not be surprised at the amount of people that choose to ignore B&B's opening statement. How do they start every show? “...this is radio’s best combination of divisive, outrageous, appalling, objectionable, offensive and occasionally inhospitable...”

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2013, 11:57:57 PM »
Thank God that we in the northern suburbs can pull in the Homer show on 540 during the p.m. drive.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2013, 04:57:42 AM »
I can honestly say I think anybody who listens to Boers and Bernstein is a loser. Sorry.

Here in Seattle we have the all-talk format on KACL (780 AM.) One of its most popular shows is The Dr. Frasier Crane Show, where a renowned local psychiatrist offers insight on the smorgasbord of mental maladies wrought by our gloomy northwest weather. Sports is delivered each weekday by Bob "Bulldog" Briscoe's The Gonzo Sports Show.

Death on call

feedback