Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Brad Stevens to coach Celtics  (Read 40129 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Brad Stevens to coach Celtics
« Reply #75 on: July 03, 2013, 11:46:41 PM »
Photoshop is definitely fun

The USAF dude is a Space Warrior, not a studly aviator type. So, yes, that might be a genuine photo.

Death on call

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #76 on: July 04, 2013, 12:16:14 AM »
This is...shocking. Huge blow to the BEast. Hopefully Butler can find a new hire who can fill those shoes and keep recruits from leaving.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #77 on: July 04, 2013, 05:10:20 AM »
This is...shocking. Huge blow to the BEast. Hopefully Butler can find a new hire who can fill those shoes and keep recruits from leaving.

I dont follow recruiting. Does Butler have a great incoming class?

To your point about Butler needing to hire somebody to keep their recruits around....How do you know those players will fit into the new coach's system? You seem to be assuming that the new coach will play the exact same system and use every player and signed recruit just as Stevens would have done...   ?-(

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #78 on: July 04, 2013, 06:46:43 AM »
I know Stevens is a smart guy, but he's in for quite a surprise.  This ain't college, Brad.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #79 on: July 04, 2013, 06:48:26 AM »
Not to derail the CBB/Keefe discussion (ignore this if I am) but I'm stunned by this move. Not for Stevens, if I were him I'd hitchhike to Boston for a chance at that job, but more for the Celtics. It happened so fast, I expected a much bigger name. While Stevens has a ton of college credit, getting one of the 2 most coveted NBA jobs after coaching a collegiate mid-major (despite their success) is a monster step up.

For his sake, I hope Stevens isn't back in college. As great a coach as he is, he just doesn't seem suited for it at the elite level. I always wondered how he'd do at Duke (where everyone had him penciled in) considering he never recruited a 5-star and rarely added any 4-stars at BU. He's a great coach, but more in the coaching guys up sense than the discovering talent sense. Seems like he may have been lucky to find Hayward and got the most out of the rest of the team.

Honestly, I'm just glad it wasn't Buzz. While I feel Buzz is a much better fit for the college game than the pro game (he seems to relish the tenacity of recruiting that Stevens seems lukewarm about) that kind of money is something not many college programs, if any, can offer to a guy with that kind of resume.

Also...I wouldn't be surprised to see Butler fall off a peg. I know all that about the "Butler Way", but as it has been pointed out many times in the past, there are a ton of schools that can't survive a bad hire. If they pick the wrong guy here and they go from kings of the Horizon to whipping boys in the Big East in 3-4 seasons, it will be hard to rebound against this level of competition. If I were betting I'd say it will be LaVall Jordan, a former BU player and assistant under Lickliter. Maybe he keeps it going, but if he can't, it could be a quick, hard fall.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #80 on: July 04, 2013, 06:55:27 AM »
The old guy speaks (LOL).

This is Butler's "Al" moment. Brad Stevens leaving is like Al McGuire leaving for us. A great coach who defined the university is gone and the question has to be, "who replaces him?"

Maybe the guy's out there but if the university isn't sure, make someone an interim for a year. Take your time, do it right and find a winner. The alternative is Bob Dukiet!

At least Al announced he was leaving in December 1976 and gave a transition time. Some good it did, I know, but we weren't faced with a "find a coach on the verge of school starting" problem.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #81 on: July 04, 2013, 07:20:28 AM »

There are similarities now that you mention it...

Pretty good Keefe. Doesn't the female security cop look like a younger Janet Napolitano? Maybe that is why she heads the inept TSA.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #82 on: July 04, 2013, 07:23:56 AM »
Demonic....platonic....bubonic....all kinds of fun still shots of people 
If this thread is morphing into "demonic", then the obligatory pictures of Wainright and Ryan must be posted.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #83 on: July 04, 2013, 07:28:38 AM »
You should at least have some knowledge of a situation before you post. It has nothing to do with Stevens but rather them rebuilding and wanting picks for Rondo and allowing them to tank.
you must have more knowledge than the entire nba staff at espn as their longest discussion surrounded how rondo would take have stevens as a coach...the all figured ainge would have rondo out the door prior to the season.  they all commented on how he's not an easy guy to coach...

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #84 on: July 04, 2013, 07:32:17 AM »
you must have more knowledge than the entire nba staff at espn as their longest discussion surrounded how rondo would take have stevens as a coach...the all figured ainge would have rondo out the door prior to the season.  they all commented on how he's not an easy guy to coach...
Now we know why Ainge pedaled Pierce and Garnett---he did not want players older than his new Coach!

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #85 on: July 04, 2013, 08:38:38 AM »
The same performance that UNC and Duke had in previous years.  Ben Cohen and I had a very nice chat about his article.  He has said he may adjust some things based on "excellent points" provided.  Really, a pretty cool cat that was actually interested in hearing intelligently argued opinions.  

Last year's performance got them their first Big Ten outright title in 20+ years....that means something to many folks.

Hoosier fans expect more than a big ten title, especially the older ones. Just ask Tubby Smith and the kentucky fans. Living in IN its been fun discussing their tan coach with them. This year was the first year I think they realized he is not going to be the next Bob Knight.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #86 on: July 04, 2013, 08:47:21 AM »
This is all about family security, I bet he got about 5 yr. $30 million dollar guaranteed contract, who would not take that!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #87 on: July 04, 2013, 10:09:16 AM »
I dont follow recruiting. Does Butler have a great incoming class?

To your point about Butler needing to hire somebody to keep their recruits around....How do you know those players will fit into the new coach's system? You seem to be assuming that the new coach will play the exact same system and use every player and signed recruit just as Stevens would have done...   ?-(

No.  That's one of the rubs against Stevens (by Butler fans), doesn't like recruiting and has been so-so in that department.  You can get away with that in the Horizon and probably the A-10 over the longhaul.  Hard to do that night in and night out as you step up in level of competition.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #88 on: July 04, 2013, 10:11:08 AM »
Hoosier fans expect more than a big ten title, especially the older ones. Just ask Tubby Smith and the kentucky fans. Living in IN its been fun discussing their tan coach with them. This year was the first year I think they realized he is not going to be the next Bob Knight.

Eventually, yes.  But in year 5 after what he inherited and the fact it's been 20 years since they last won one outright, plus throw in this was the best Big Ten league in decades, most IU fans are quite pleased.  Expectations will obviously change, just like they do for anyone.  Buzz now is expected to take the NEXT step, to the Final Four...hell even that idiot TC accomplished that at MU.  How many years does he get to do that?

This game can be played forever. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #89 on: July 04, 2013, 11:37:35 AM »
Pretty good Keefe. Doesn't the female security cop look like a younger Janet Napolitano? Maybe that is why she heads the inept TSA.

Is that cop a woman?

Death on call

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #90 on: July 04, 2013, 12:08:19 PM »
Is that cop a woman?
maybe the question should be: Is Janet Napolitano a woman? Thank you. I will be here all week.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #91 on: July 04, 2013, 12:10:01 PM »
Brad Stevens = Sacrificial Lamb.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #92 on: July 04, 2013, 01:00:43 PM »
Eventually, yes.  But in year 5 after what he inherited and the fact it's been 20 years since they last won one outright, plus throw in this was the best Big Ten league in decades, most IU fans are quite pleased.  Expectations will obviously change, just like they do for anyone.  Buzz now is expected to take the NEXT step, to the Final Four...hell even that idiot TC accomplished that at MU.  How many years does he get to do that?

This game can be played forever. 

You're right we can play this forever but I will say that this isn't year 1 anymore. He just had 2 top 4 lottery picks and with that talent the expectations are already higher than what they typically are at a blue blood program. This isn't the level of talent he inherited from year 1. Hes been getting good talent. Just ask Matt daughterty or billy Gillespie when you fall short at a blue blood school when you have the talent but just can't coach.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #93 on: July 04, 2013, 02:08:14 PM »
Brad Stevens = Sacrificial Lamb.

I like Brad Stevens. But I fear he has made a poor career decision. This will not end well for him.

Death on call

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #94 on: July 04, 2013, 03:03:46 PM »
I like Brad Stevens. But I fear he has made a poor career decision. This will not end well for him.
Well, he won't be hurting for money.  But, the NBA ghosts of Pitino and Montgomery are lurking in Boston now.  Can always go back to the college game.  For the Celtics, it does not matter who is coaching the next couple years.  So, it's an easy gamble on their part that Stevens might work out in the long run.  The only real loser could well be Butler.  Time will tell.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #95 on: July 04, 2013, 03:28:09 PM »
Well, he won't be hurting for money.  But, the NBA ghosts of Pitino and Montgomery are lurking in Boston now.  Can always go back to the college game.  For the Celtics, it does not matter who is coaching the next couple years.  So, it's an easy gamble on their part that Stevens might work out in the long run.  The only real loser could well be Butler.  Time will tell.

The NBA is an unforgiving world. He is being well compensated but those folks have short memories.

Death on call

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #96 on: July 04, 2013, 03:38:42 PM »
The NBA is an unforgiving world. He is being well compensated but those folks have short memories.
Guess we are saying the same thing. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #97 on: July 04, 2013, 03:46:56 PM »
Guess we are saying the same thing. 

We are. I think a key point is that it's the Celtics. Frankly, if you have a hair on your a$$ you say yes. There are a few calls that cannot go unanswered and the Boston Celtics is one of them. Stevens told UCLA no thank you just a few months ago but this was a very different proposition.

But pro sports is a beast because the stakes are so absurdly high. If the Cowboys can fire Tom Landry and Jimmy Johnson then all bets are off. Stevens is in for a rough few years but if he is successful, which he may very well be, the sky is the limit. At some point though the fates will stop smiling.

Death on call

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #98 on: July 04, 2013, 03:50:43 PM »

How can 30 million, if true, not end well?

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #99 on: July 04, 2013, 04:41:51 PM »
or 32 million even.....

How can 30 million, if true, not end well?

feedback