[Today at 11:42:11 AM]

2025 Bracketology by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 09:46:57 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by MUbiz
[Today at 08:06:43 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Lennys Tap
[June 02, 2024, 09:43:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 5 Players That GM's Will Kick Themselves For Skipping Over - #5 Vander Blue  (Read 5361 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
http://sportschatplace.com/lists/adam/2013/june/28/top-2/

5. Vander Blue- Usually teams in the NBA draft go for potential first, athleticism second and production third, so I have no idea how a player like Vander Blue did not get selected. His jump shot is pretty suspect, but there are few players as explosive off the dribble than Blue. He can jump out of the gym and is a solid finisher at the rim and proved he can make big plays multiple times throughout the NCAA Tournament. Blue will end up on a team like the Spurs where he will work his way into playing time and make a name for himself in this league.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Also

Undrafted NBA Free Agents 2013: Overlooked Players Who Got a Raw Deal

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1687511-undrafted-nba-free-agents-2013-overlooked-players-who-got-a-raw-deal?utm_source=pulse&utm_medium=referral

Vander Blue, SG, Marquette

Not having a true position hurt him, but the fact that Vander Blue, a high-volume scoring with terrific athleticism, did not get drafted is surprising.

The Marquette guard averaged 14.8 points per game last season. He is a terrific driver and even better finisher, as evidenced by this game-winning shot against Davidson:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=V-nH5o--3dU

The knock against Blue is that he's a tweener. He hasn't shown the ability to run an offense, and only had 1.8 assists per game last season. He's also not a great shooter, averaging just 30 percent from three-point land.

But, he has elite athleticism and projects to be an elite defender. Billy McKinney, the Milwaukee Bucks' director of scouting, told the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel that Blue can be a lockdown defender:

One of the things a guy like Vander has to look at for making an NBA roster β€” he's an incredible athlete that can defend. He might have to look at changing his game a little bit and coming in and being a stopper as opposed to a scorer.

Perimeter defenders are a valuable commodity in the NBA, so it's surprising that no team took a flyer on Blue's athleticism. Seth Davis of Sports Illustrated noted that Blue might have made a mistake by not retuning for his senior season and playing more point guard:

Blue will latch onto a team in the summer league, and it will not be surprising if he makes an opening-day roster. His athleticism and defensive ability gives him a chance to last in the league.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
I hope these observations play out as the authors predict. I genuinely wish for Blue to realize his life's ambition and it would be great for another Marquette player to earn an NBA paycheck.

Death on call

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
Agree Keefe.  Regardless of people's opinion on Blue's decision we should root for Blue who will give his all for Marquette basketball and will show his Warrior mentality on the summer league circuit.  He will play with a chip on his shoulder having not been drafted.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
I hope they are right. I think that Vander unquestionably has NBA athleticism and can be a quality NBA defender. That said, there has to be a reason he didn't get drafted. I felt that his obvious improvement demonstrated more potential than some players that were younger and whose potential was simply based largely on high school statistics and recruiting rankings, but perhaps his inability to prove himself as a point guard coupled with his improved but still not elite shooting made scouts think he is too much of a detriment on offense. This has to be a clear shot across the bow for Vander to realize that he still needs to dramatically improve his game. Even had he been drafted that would have been the case, but he will have to work even harder than he did in Boot Camp to truly succeed at the next level, and the road is much harder now than it would have been had his name been called. As great a story as Wes Matthews is, and as much as many Marquette faithful (and seemingly Vander as well) seem to think going undrafted can be a boon, there are a lot more undrafted guys not in the league than there are undrafted guys in.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

UticaBusBarn

• Team Captain
The electronic sports press continues to astound this long time fan. In the 10 days before the draft, it was all about Blue having gone too early, not being a shooter ... negative this, negative that, etc.

The draft comes and goes, and now there are stories about Blue's quick first step, speed, ability to finish, and how he was over-looked ... positive this, positive that, etc.

It was the same way the press treated the Warriors before the Davidson and Butler games, not to mention all of them saying the Warriors would have no chance against Miami.

The only observation I would offer to this pack of lemmings is that Blue improved each year, and continued to improve during the 2012-13 season. Finally, I would add Coach WIlliams observation on Blue - that his flame burns (hot) white.

TIme will tell, but I seriously doubt that Vander Blue will slip into basketball oblivion. Indeed, I think the opposite will happen.

GGGG

• All American
The electronic sports press continues to astound this long time fan. In the 10 days before the draft, it was all about Blue having gone too early, not being a shooter ... negative this, negative that, etc.

It's Bleacher Report....which called him a "high volume scorer."  At 14ppg???

Just remember that these type of articles are intended to create pageviews more than anything.

chapman

• All American
Lost any credibility when they compared foreign players who were picked to some of these, as if teams are really looking for the better player.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
What I wonder is, players from lesser programs than MU, in lesser conferences than the BE, who are guards, are getting picked in the draft.   Some of these guys wouldn't start on MU and VB would have torn up their leagues....yet they get drafted and Van didn't. 
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

GGGG

• All American
What I wonder is, players from lesser programs than MU, in lesser conferences than the BE, who are guards, are getting picked in the draft.   Some of these guys wouldn't start on MU and VB would have torn up their leagues....yet they get drafted and Van didn't. 

Like who?

AirPunches

• All American
I think Blue was better than a few of the point guards in the second round that were drafted but the reason they were drafted was because they demonstrated the ability to play the point. I remember reading about a scrimmage early in the draft process where he was running the point and the scouts said he struggled. I don't think his handle or passing skills are strong enough to play point in the NBA yet.

chren21

• All American

MU82

• All American
I wonder if these clowns, before expressing their shock about Vander not being selected, bothered to look at any of the mock drafts -- just about none of which had him getting drafted.
β€œIt’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

UticaBusBarn

• Team Captain
I wonder if these clowns, before expressing their shock about Vander not being selected, bothered to look at any of the mock drafts -- just about none of which had him getting drafted.

Are these not the same "clowns" who also had their own mock drafts?

only a warrior

• Team Captain
hope he gets a shot somewhere

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
We all hope he gets the shot he desrves

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
http://sportschatplace.com/lists/adam/2013/june/28/top-2/

5. Vander Blue- Usually teams in the NBA draft go for potential first, athleticism second and production third, so I have no idea how a player like Vander Blue did not get selected. His jump shot is pretty suspect, but there are few players as explosive off the dribble than Blue. He can jump out of the gym and is a solid finisher at the rim and proved he can make big plays multiple times throughout the NCAA Tournament. Blue will end up on a team like the Spurs where he will work his way into playing time and make a name for himself in this league.
They do this in the first round..but in the second round they look for the reverse.