Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2013 NBA draft thread  (Read 16274 times)

willie warrior

• All American
Re: 2013 NBA draft thread
« Reply #100 on: June 28, 2013, 06:43:47 AM »
Oladipo's gonna be the flop of the draft.
Or Zeller, or Bennet, or (insert name)

Man, what a crap pile. I do not follow drafts that closely, but this one was miserable. Blue better have DJO's phone number.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #101 on: June 28, 2013, 07:28:05 AM »
Just curious...does anyone know how many players who declared early went undrafted?
Have some patience, FFS.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #102 on: June 28, 2013, 07:50:03 AM »
Just curious...does anyone know how many players who declared early went undrafted?

48 US college players entered the draft early. 28 were drafted. 20 were undrafted.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #103 on: June 28, 2013, 08:24:29 AM »
The Bucks are irritating.

From a PR standpoint, don't you think it would have been interesting to see the Bucks draft Vander Blue with their 2nd round pick?  I get that they're trying to "win", but who knows, maybe you get more people in the seats by putting a MU guy on the court?

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #104 on: June 28, 2013, 08:26:48 AM »
He can play on your summer league time next month if they want him, I am sure he will get some opportunities from some team out there.  I would hope it is the Bucks, but is it a
PR nightmare if he gets cut?  Berggeron for the Badgers as well.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #105 on: June 28, 2013, 08:28:58 AM »
From a PR standpoint, don't you think it would have been interesting to see the Bucks draft Vander Blue with their 2nd round pick?  I get that they're trying to "win", but who knows, maybe you get more people in the seats by putting a MU guy on the court?

That's the kind of crap losing teams do.  Which is exactly why the Bucks should have done it.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #106 on: June 28, 2013, 08:31:47 AM »

I'm not sure they are trying to 'win' anymore.  IMO, they should be tanking hard this year.  Though it might be hard to out-tank some other teams.

Blue on the court in Milwaukee might add five more sold seats per game... and that is probably an overstatement.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #107 on: June 28, 2013, 08:36:37 AM »
I'm not sure they are trying to 'win' anymore.  IMO, they should be tanking hard this year.  Though it might be hard to out-tank some other teams.

Blue on the court in Milwaukee might add five more sold seats per game... and that is probably an overstatement.

You are correct on both counts, but the senator would rather do just enough to get them in the playoffs so he can sell tickets. That's why they are in NBA purgatory. They have no plan that I can see other than plugging in pieces to get them to the 8 seed. They need at least one tank season or two to get them back to having a chance.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #108 on: June 28, 2013, 08:43:36 AM »
You are correct on both counts, but the senator would rather do just enough to get them in the playoffs so he can sell tickets. That's why they are in NBA purgatory. They have no plan that I can see other than plugging in pieces to get them to the 8 seed. They need at least one tank season or two to get them back to having a chance.

I agree, and I get not tanking this last year.  The draft was weak, and they may as well take the money they made in the playoffs.  Next year, I hope they see what is coming down the pipeline.  Also, I hope they don't sign any of the free agents available.  I could stomach resigning Jennings if the money was right.

The Bucks need to build around Larry Sanders, John Henson, and no one else... Everyone else is totally expendable.  I'd keep the new kid from Greece, but he is still a somewhat unknown commodity.  I would be so excited as a Bucks fan if they could manage to get Wiggins next year... downright giddy actually.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #109 on: June 28, 2013, 08:52:16 AM »
Anyone saying Bucks should've taken Blue should ask themselves if they would buy tickets to a bucks game because of it knowing Blue would be sent to the dleague

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #110 on: June 28, 2013, 09:01:06 AM »
Oladipo's gonna be the flop of the draft.
He is athletic and plays hard, so he will probably succeed. However, he is not as good as Wade was coming out of college, which shows you the difference in the strength of drafts between Wade's year and this one.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #111 on: June 28, 2013, 09:52:05 AM »
That's the kind of crap losing teams do.  Which is exactly why the Bucks should have done it.

Oh... they have.  See: Leuer, Jon; Nordgaard, Jeff; Griffith, Rashard... and those are just the ones they've picked in the first two rounds.

Does it surprise anyone that the Bucks haven't drafted one or two players from UW-Eau Claire?  No... because they've drafted three!

(Incidentally, the Bucks have never drafted an MU player in the first two rounds; I think the Goose was the highest they ever picked out of MU.)
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #112 on: June 28, 2013, 08:54:18 PM »
He is athletic and plays hard, so he will probably succeed. However, he is not as good as Wade was coming out of college, which shows you the difference in the strength of drafts between Wade's year and this one.

BINGO.  Yet some clowns here want to compare this draft to others as if a top 5 pick in this draft is equivalent to a top 5 pick in other drafts.  LOL.  FRICKING HILARIOUS, but anything to bang on their boy. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #113 on: June 28, 2013, 08:56:24 PM »
This is the worst draft I've ever seen.

PS Has any coach ever failed to reach an Elite 8 with 2 top 5 draft picks in 1 year before?

Think about your own question.  Worst draft you have EVER seen, yet then you ask a question if 2 top 5 draft picks in another draft failed to make the Elite 8. 

Think about....just for a minute....think about it.  When you're done, help Lenny out because he apparently doesn't get it either. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #114 on: June 28, 2013, 08:58:03 PM »
BINGO.  Yet some clowns here want to compare this draft to others as if a top 5 pick in this draft is equivalent to a top 5 pick in other drafts.  LOL.  FRICKING HILARIOUS, but anything to bang on their boy. 

You have it all wrong, but you already know that.  Nobody is comparing this year's class to 2003's.  Nobody is saying that Indiana is the best team in the past 50 years in college basketball.  But the fact of the matter is that Indiana had 2 of the top 4 picks in the NBA Draft (whether it was a strong class or not does not matter, it means they had 2 of the 4 best players in college basketball, at worst), and failed to make it past the Sweet 16.  That's pretty bad.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #115 on: June 28, 2013, 08:59:16 PM »
Think about your own question.  Worst draft you have EVER seen, yet then you ask a question if 2 top 5 draft picks in another draft failed to make the Elite 8. 

Think about....just for a minute....think about it.  When you're done, help Lenny out because he apparently doesn't get it either. 

No, man, you're the one who doesn't get it.  When a team has 2 of the top 4 draft picks, does that not mean they have 2 of the 4 top players in college basketball for that year?  It's a simple yes or no question.  Don't beat around the bush and spin things into making Crean anything more than he is, a good recruiter who can't coach.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #116 on: June 28, 2013, 09:10:48 PM »
You have it all wrong, but you already know that.  Nobody is comparing this year's class to 2003's.  Nobody is saying that Indiana is the best team in the past 50 years in college basketball.  But the fact of the matter is that Indiana had 2 of the top 4 picks in the NBA Draft (whether it was a strong class or not does not matter, it means they had 2 of the 4 best players in college basketball, at worst), and failed to make it past the Sweet 16.  That's pretty bad.

Why am I not surprised you don't get it.

....the claim is that with 2 of the top 5 picks, how could you not win the championship, blah blah blah.   Then you and others go into let's look at other years where two top 5 picks were chosen and how they did...that is a DIRECT attempt to state that some how their are equivalencies of top 5 picks in one year to another, which there are not.

As has been said, this is the worst draft you have ever seen (your words) which is quite easily correlated to the players taken are not that great, especially in other drafts (because this is the worst draft you have ever seen...which means other drafts you have seen have been better).

Let's just look at some of the other top 5 drafts as an example

Hakeem
Sam Bowie
Michael Jordan
Sam Perkins
Charles Barkley

Or this one

Lebron James
Darko Milicic
Carmelo Anthony
Chris Bosh
Dwyane Wade

Etc, etc

Of course this was the worst draft.  Having two guys in the top 5 of the worst draft...that's like being tallest midget in the circus, especially when one of them should be 10th to 15th but Michael Jordan, worst exec in the NBA, decided to pick him 10+ spots too high to a chorus of boos and huge bad press in the process.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #117 on: June 28, 2013, 09:18:48 PM »
Why am I not surprised you don't get it.

....the claim is that with 2 of the top 5 picks, how could you not win the championship, blah blah blah.   Then you and others go into let's look at other years where two top 5 picks were chosen and how they did...that is a DIRECT attempt to state that some how their are equivalencies of top 5 picks in one year to another, which there are not.

As has been said, this is the worst draft you have ever seen (your words) which is quite easily correlated to the players taken are not that great, especially in other drafts (because this is the worst draft you have ever seen...which means other drafts you have seen have been better).

Let's just look at some of the other top 5 drafts as an example

Hakeem
Sam Bowie
Michael Jordan
Sam Perkins
Charles Barkley

Or this one

Lebron James
Darko Milicic
Carmelo Anthony
Chris Bosh
Dwyane Wade

Etc, etc

Of course this was the worst draft.  Having two guys in the top 5 of the worst draft...that's like being tallest midget in the circus, especially when one of them should be 10th to 15th but Michael Jordan, worst exec in the NBA, decided to pick him 10+ spots too high to a chorus of boos and huge bad press in the process.

Either you're not as smart as I thought, you're completely insane, or you're just trying to get a response.  Maybe it's a combination of the 3.  Having 2 guys in the top 5 (4) of the worst draft is not like being the tallest midget in the circus.  Again, if we're putting Indiana's 2012-2013 team up against the greatest college basketball teams of all time, or the other teams who have had 2 top 4 draft picks on the same team, then yes it is.  But we aren't.  We're putting them up against the rest of the 2012-2013 NCAA Men's basketball teams.

I knew you couldn't give a simple yes or no answer to a simple question.  Always dodging the question to swing the argument.

Newsflash, college basketball was down as a whole this year.  Hence why the NBA Draft was awful this year.  It's not like there were all these studs in college basketball last year who didn't enter the draft.  In fact, kids (like Vander) were bailing earlier than they should because this was their chance to get drafted.  College basketball stunk this year.  2 of the top 4 players in any given year in college basketball are 2 of the top 4 players in college basketball for that year whether the talent in college basketball is as high as ever or as low as ever.  If you have 2 of the top 4 players in the country you shouldn't be bowing out in the Sweet 16.

Nobody is saying Indiana had Anthony Davis and MKG.  But they had THIS YEAR'S Anthony Davis and MKG.  And they lost in the S16, while Kentucky was winning a National Championship a year ago.

If a JV team has 2 of the top 4 players in the JV league, they should have a successful season.  If they go 2-10 in conference, I don't think you can say their season wasn't bad because they were JV players.  They're not playing varsity players, they're playing other JV players, where they should be able to dominate.  (I'm trying to figure out as many different ways to get this easy idea through your head...it won't work, but it's fun to see how confused you can get by a simple concept.)

(Should be a) Pretty simple concept.  But I guess not.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 09:22:46 PM by wadesworld »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #118 on: June 28, 2013, 09:22:42 PM »
You can play the game all you want Wade and Lenny.

How does Duke with 2 of the first 3 players drafted not go to the Final Four?  Coach K can't coach

How does a school that has THREE first round picks not win the title like Ohio State in 2007?

Best one...how does a school with FOUR first round picks not go to the Final Four like UCONN in 2006?  Jim Calhoun can't coach.

Or UNLV with six players drafted off a single team, but they don't win the title or even play for it.  Coach Tark...what a bumpkin. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #119 on: June 28, 2013, 09:26:06 PM »
You can play the game all you want Wade and Lenny.

How does Duke with 2 of the first 3 players drafted not go to the Final Four?  Coach K can't coach

How does a school that has THREE first round picks not win the title like Ohio State in 2007?

Best one...how does a school with FOUR first round picks not go to the Final Four like UCONN in 2006?  Jim Calhoun can't coach.

Or UNLV with six players drafted off a single team, but they don't win the title or even play for it.  Coach Tark...what a bumpkin. 

Haha well those are easy explanations...the team that won it had 5 NBA draft picks, including 3 of the top 9 picks.  Keep trying.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #120 on: June 28, 2013, 11:07:36 PM »

WE don't get it? It's simple (and I do mean simple) math. When you have two of the top 4 picks in the draft IT MAKES NO  DIFFERENCE whether the draft is weak or strong. It means you have two of the top players in a correspondingly weak or strong college basketball landscape. Your inability to grasp such an easily understandable concept shows an ignorance that is positively stunning. It really shouldn't take you a minute...to...think...about...it, but take some time nonetheless. For now I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that your eagerness to defend TC has caused a brain malfunction, but if you continue to suggest that having the best midgets in a midget NCAA tournament is any different from having the best tall guys in a tall guy NCAA tournament you are, plain and simply, wrong.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #121 on: June 28, 2013, 11:35:43 PM »

Uh...Chico, did you ever take a logic or rhetoric class at Marquette?

Death on call

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #122 on: June 29, 2013, 12:27:13 AM »

No, it doesn't mean that at all. Plenty of great college players don't get drafted. Scottie Reynolds was a first-team All-American, which I would say is a much better indicator of being one of the best players in college basketball than draft status, yet he went undrafted. Conversely, Xavier Henry in the same year not only wasn't an All-American, he wasn't even first or second-team in his own conference yet was drafted in the lottery. Draft position has a lot less to do with how good a college player someone is and a lot more to do with how much potential NBA GMs think they have.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #123 on: June 29, 2013, 01:10:31 AM »
Draft position has a lot less to do with how good a college player someone is and a lot more to do with how much potential NBA GMs think they have.

And of course there is no correlation between demonstrated talent and potential as a professional...

Death on call

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #124 on: June 29, 2013, 02:00:28 AM »
And of course there is no correlation between demonstrated talent and potential as a professional...

There's a correlation, but it's a rough correlation. Numerous All-Americans either never make the NBA or never make a significant impact.

2010 -- Scottie Reynolds, Sherron Collins, Cole Aldrich, James Anderson, Luke Harangody, Jon Scheyer
2009 -- Sherron Collins, Luke Harangody, Hasheem Thabeet
2008 -- Michael Beasley, Luke Harangody, Shan Foster, Chris Lofton
2007 -- Alando Tucker, Acie Law, Nick Fazekas, Chris Lofton, Greg Oden
2006 -- Adam Morrison, Dee Brown, Allan Ray, PJ Tucker

Some of those guys had a cup of coffee, some a little more, but none were major impact guys and all were consensus first or second team All-Americans. In the case of Harangody, a 3-time All-American and arguably one of the most dominant players in the past couple decades at the collegiate level. These guys were all considered among the 10-12 best players in college basketball and undoubtedly demonstrated a ton of talent in college. What did that mean in the pros? Pretty much jack and squat.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.