Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Malek Harris Commits?  (Read 15511 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Malek Harris Commits?
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2013, 08:34:15 AM »
I think we need to mentally prepare ourselves for the possibility of no true post in 2014-15. Or at least a starter who isn't a true post.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2013, 08:58:04 AM »
I think we need to mentally prepare ourselves for the possibility of no true post in 2014-15. Or at least a starter who isn't a true post.

Agreed, that could potentially be the case, and if so, it would actually be a benefit to landing a stud 2015 player like Stone or Ellenson or Other.  And if it is the case, I have no doubt that we're so loaded at other positions that we would still compete for the conference championship and make at least the S16, in a reloading year that would be setting ourselves up for a national championship run with 1 additional piece.  That's where the program is at right now.  I urge everyone to take a step back and think about that.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2013, 09:12:35 AM »
Buzz will find 1 center somewhere because most teams can not offer that player a chance to start.  I disagree, one player in this country will see that.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2013, 09:20:37 AM »
Buzz will find 1 center somewhere because most teams can not offer that player a chance to start.  I disagree, one player in this country will see that.

Most likely scenario (my dream scenario) if we don't get a great 2014 C this year is a one year grad transfer that sees 40 min available next year with weapons surrounding him at the 1-4 and the table set for a deep tourney run.  Then the 40 min immediately becomes available again for Stone/Ellenson/Other in the 2015 class.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2013, 09:24:45 AM »
Your do not need a big center, if you can get three quick athletic forwards who can rebound and play defense.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2013, 09:33:11 AM »

Agree.
Also think that whoever he lands isn't likely to scare off Stone or Ellenson.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2013, 09:34:35 AM »
Why should we accept that? probably because we are not Duke, Ky, Kansas or NC?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2013, 09:38:13 AM »
Your do not need a big center, if you can get three quick athletic forwards who can rebound and play defense.
How many rebounds per game should those three athletic quick forwards get per game; who guards the opposing team's big if they have one; and are we there with those three athletic quick forwards who can rebound (assuming that you mean significant rebounds)?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2013, 10:01:45 AM »

Ok, I don't accept it.

Now what?

Pitchforks? Torches?

robertoc

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2013, 10:08:06 AM »
He must not know what conference we are in.
+1
Hah- beat me to it...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2013, 10:12:48 AM »

Because I would rather have five players who can play versus a substandard center. You and others are too focused on measurable a and not performance. McKay as a post may be the best option.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2013, 10:19:34 AM »

Because I would rather have five players who can play versus a substandard center. You and others are too focused on measurable a and not performance. McKay as a post may be the best option.

Also, Buzz has had 3 years (4 including this upcoming year) with his own fully recruited roster.  In each of those seasons the opening day squad has had 2 true centers.  Buzz has publicly stated this is his goal for the roster.  Until that is not the case, why waste the breath/key strokes wailing about the need for centers?  We have them now.  We will have them in the future.  Breathe, people!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2013, 10:22:16 AM »

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2013, 10:31:18 AM »
Chicago Sun-Times story on Harris commitment:

http://seasonpass.suntimes.com/news_article/show/267413?referrer_id=599124
Totaly sold!

"...The multi-faceted senior, who impressed this spring with the Illinois Wolves with his advanced ballhandling skills and a warrior mentality...."
Goal is National Championship

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2013, 10:37:20 AM »
I can't take credit for this, but a comparison I saw someone make and can't remember where is Will Yeguete from Florida.  6'7" rebounding machine with a high 2P%.  If he turns out like Yeguete I'd be more than pleased.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2013, 10:57:37 AM »
Nice! He isn't Looney, but I'm not going to complain. I'm confident Buzz will turn him into a very good player.

In all likelihood, he'll be a much better player than Looney as a sophomore, junior and senior.  It's not hard to be better than a guy who isn't in college ball anymore.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2013, 11:38:09 AM »

So who is the substandard center you are referring to? Otule/Gardner?  I would rather have 5 guys who can play than a substandard center. I also hope that McKay can play the post. But I continue to advocate getting a quality center, rather than having Hayward/Crowder/Ja. Wilson/Taylor play center. And believe me pal, I always focus on performance. And guess what? Measureables are part of performance. Or is performance in the eye of the beholder and you do not account for any measurable? Then why do we use statistics?

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2013, 11:44:21 AM »

Because there isn't a developing big-man on the team and we aren't in the running for a  top big-man. Unless you want a substandard freshmen starting, it isn't realistic at this point to have a project big-man coming in and starting his rookie year. By accepting it, we just mean the reality of our current situation. That said, the following year we have some solid hope of either one of the recruits developing as a sophomore or getting a stud freshmen.

You act like Lazar and our other switchables wasn't able to stop Hibbert when he was at Georgetown. High-intensity, team defense can over come missing a dominant big man. But then again you are the most fearful fan I've ever seen.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2013, 11:47:12 AM »
So who is the substandard center you are referring to? Otule/Gardner?  I would rather have 5 guys who can play than a substandard center. I also hope that McKay can play the post. But I continue to advocate getting a quality center, rather than having Hayward/Crowder/Ja. Wilson/Taylor play center. And believe me pal, I always focus on performance. And guess what? Measureables are part of performance. Or is performance in the eye of the beholder and you do not account for any measurable? Then why do we use statistics?
Otule was very substandard as a freshman (Gardner as a freshmen is below average). So even if we get a recruit like him next year, we will need to play small ball most of the game.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2013, 11:49:51 AM »

Your point is that Buzz is unable or unwilling to recruit the center position in a way that you find acceptable.  What's your solution?  Fire Buzz?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #70 on: June 27, 2013, 12:01:41 PM »
Otule was very substandard as a freshman (Gardner as a freshmen is below average). So even if we get a recruit like him next year, we will need to play small ball most of the game.
Otule broke his foot his freshmen year, so we do not really know how his fisrt year would of turned out. I also would argue that Gardner was not below average as a freshmen. He was playing very well before he hurt his shoulder. I suspose you could point to his defense, but most freshmen are not good on the defensive end and that is why they do not play much.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2013, 12:02:02 PM »
I think Harris may ultimately be a player more in the mold of Steve Taylor than a pure wing. In Buzz's system, I expected he'd primarily be a four, in the way Jae and Jamil were/are fours. He'll have to get bigger for that, though.

From the picture in the Sun-Times he looks pretty well built to me.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2013, 12:24:06 PM »
Your point is that Buzz is unable or unwilling to recruit the center position in a way that you find acceptable.  What's your solution?  Fire Buzz?

Willie pines for the days of yore when MU had dominant bigs. Remember the good old days when 6' 5" Dwight Burke patrolled the middle as a 3 year starter? Wasn't long ago that our centers combined couldn't match what Otule or Gardner give us in half a game.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2013, 12:50:43 PM »
He's at the BBQ wearing a We Are Marquette Shirt.  Good sign.

Hope that's not a violation, hey?

My son,  a SLU law alum confirms!!

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2013, 01:06:56 PM »
No--You have no clue what my point is. I did not say  that Otule/gardner were substandard--the other guy implied they were. My solution is not to fire Buzz. You said that! My solution is to recruit a quality big, rather than other people making excuses. I think that Buzz is trying to recruit some, but so far has not been able to, although I certainly like the way Gardner has developed.
So now that I cleared that up for you--what is your solution--criticism?