[June 08, 2024, 07:03:51 PM]

And The New...... by Tyler COLEk
[June 08, 2024, 11:45:55 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Herman Cain
[June 08, 2024, 11:31:50 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MuggsyB
[June 08, 2024, 10:56:27 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: New Marquette offers, including a center  (Read 12809 times)

Skitch

• All American
Re: New Marquette offers, including a center
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2013, 12:29:55 AM »
No, you can't play C at 6'8'' in the NBA.

Did Marquette suddenly join the NBA?  What could his potential in the NBA have to do with his being an effective C for Marquette?

Rockmic87

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2013, 12:48:08 AM »

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2013, 06:34:28 AM »
But they're not good....
Wes Unseld=no good?  He averaged 14 boards and 10.8 points per game.  I'll take that kind of no good from a center any day.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2013, 08:23:56 AM »
Wes Unseld=no good?  He averaged 14 boards and 10.8 points per game.  I'll take that kind of no good from a center any day.

Wes Unseld was Rookie of the Year and MVP in his first season with the Bullets.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2013, 08:37:42 AM »
But they're not good....

Chuck Hayes is at most 6'7". He averaged 11-9 and 11-8 his junior and senior years at Kentucky. I'd take that out of a Marquette center.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2013, 08:41:23 AM »
Recruits want to start and play, this is a perfect situation for a player to come in and take the bull by the horn.  Since there is 4 offers available, I see MU taking 3 early signing
period and wait for the grad student to transfer in and start like Lockett.  That way Stone can come in the following year if Buzz or Duane Wilson can get him to MU, and that will
not be easy.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2013, 09:04:32 AM »
But they're not good....

In 1996, Wes was named as one of the top 50 NBA players OF ALL TIME.

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2013, 09:37:17 AM »
If we didn't have Otule's 6'11" frame with his shot changing and blocking ability, and only had Gardner in the middle defensively, we would not have had the success we had this season. And, Otule is a average center, but he is more effective at the position than Gardner. Gardner is a below average center, but great power forward because of his defense.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2013, 10:05:27 AM »
If we didn't have Otule's 6'11" frame with his shot changing and blocking ability, and only had Gardner in the middle defensively, we would not have had the success we had this season. And, Otule is a average center, but he is more effective at the position than Gardner. Gardner is a below average center, but great power forward because of his defense.

Gardner is *not* a power forward.  He is a center.  Honestly, what part of his game says that he is a power forward to you???  I mean, he doesn't even play the power forward position unless he is on the floor as the same time as Otule, and that was what...maybe 3% of the time last year??

And he is a "below average center," yet was one of five *centers* nationwide to be selected to try out for the World University Games team??  Apparently USA Basketball thinks he's a good center...and DeCourcy at Sporting News feels the same....  Too bad they didn't consult Sunbelt to get the height requirements first....
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 10:08:12 AM by Terror Skink »

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2013, 10:19:03 AM »

Gardner has huge issues on the D end, still does not know how to use his weight to block out, Wes Unseld did.  The best thing that Devante has going is playing or trying out for the World
Games as he gets coaching from other coaches than Buzz.  Maybe they can light a spark on that end. If he does not make that team, that will tell him something as well.  Good to be invited, he will know where he stands going forward in his career.  Otule and Gardner are great compliments to each other, both are average centers, put them together, and they are better than most teams in college.  Otule could have a break out year if they learn to pass to him.  Vander never did, Cadougan was average doing that as well.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2013, 10:24:32 AM »
Reading all of the postings on a center, my thought is that the folks posting ahead of me seem to want Jerome Whitehead, Jimmy Mac, Robert Jackson and a bit of Kareem rolled in for good measure all manifested in our next center.

Folks, it aint going to happen.

First of all, the seven foot center is all but obsolete in college basketball. The game is very mobile, it's inside-out and the three-point line neutralizes much of the reason why you want a "force" inside. Look at the way Davidson almost beat us! You think a 7', NBA-ready center would have helped? Maybe a little at the margin.

Secondly, if a center is so talented that the NBA is closely following him, he won't be a four-year Warrior. If we're lucky, we'd get two years. Look at the MU teams that were really successful (2001-2002 and 1977-1978). Things gelled as the team played together. The bulk of the 1977 team was juniors and seniors. Same was true for the core of the 2002 team (DWade and RJ).

Thirdly, I like what we have and the way we play the game. We get a dominant center in and chances are we may treat him the way a junkie treats cocaine. Need a quick basket? Jam it inside and collapse the defense! It's easier. The way our team plays, we spread the ball around among five guys in a slashing and shooting operation.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2013, 10:34:30 AM »
Gardner is definitely a college center. There are only a few times he will have to go up against a good 7 footer since they would be in the NBA if they were ready.

Gardner would be horrible in the NBA as a center. If he got quicker he could be an offensive pf but that's about it. Guys would just be too athletic for him at that level. There are exceptions in unseld and Ben Wallace who have extreme talent but there is a reason teams reach for height and 6'8" (relatively) slow pf's are a dime a dozen in the NBA. Lets just say I love that we have Gardner and think he is a great player for MU but I would be pissed if the bucks wasted a pick on him.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2013, 12:07:20 PM »
So, there are posts now on this board calling Wes Unseld "not that good,"
and Davante Gardner an "average center."  That's some high grade facepalm.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2013, 12:14:29 PM »

Well put.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2013, 12:17:47 PM »

Sometimes I think there needs to be a test of some sort to be able to participate here.  Of course that would rob me of some humor...

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2013, 12:37:11 PM »

Gardner is *not* a power forward.  He is a center.  Honestly, what part of his game says that he is a power forward to you???  I mean, he doesn't even play the power forward position unless he is on the floor as the same time as Otule, and that was what...maybe 3% of the time last year??

And he is a "below average center," yet was one of five *centers* nationwide to be selected to try out for the World University Games team??  Apparently USA Basketball thinks he's a good center...and DeCourcy at Sporting News feels the same....  Too bad they didn't consult Sunbelt to get the height requirements first....

Forget Gardner. I'm just saying, I would like for another 6'11" or taller player to replace our departing 6'11" player because Otule's height makes most teams think twice about going down low. It also helps when rebounding unless you had a gifted player like D. Rodman or the shot-block timing of Alonzo Mourning. Those extra 2 or 3 inches makes a big difference. Similar to Vander's situation. If he had 2 more inches in height, he would be looked at as an adaquate shooting guard, able to play both ends of the floor comfortable. But, since he doesn't, he has to have skills of a smaller point guard.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2013, 12:40:34 PM »
Forget Gardner. I'm just saying, I would like for another 6'11" or taller player to replace our departing 6'11" player because Otule's height makes most teams think twice about going down low.

Now *that* is something I completely agree with. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2013, 02:31:08 PM »
Forget Gardner. I'm just saying, I would like for another 6'11" or taller player to replace our departing 6'11" player because Otule's height makes most teams think twice about going down low. It also helps when rebounding unless you had a gifted player like D. Rodman or the shot-block timing of Alonzo Mourning. Those extra 2 or 3 inches makes a big difference. Similar to Vander's situation. If he had 2 more inches in height, he would be looked at as an adaquate shooting guard, able to play both ends of the floor comfortable. But, since he doesn't, he has to have skills of a smaller point guard.

Vander has to have the skill set of a "smaller point guard?"  Disagree there.  Vander is 6'4" and very athletic.  If he could shoot the ball worth a damn he'd be a lottery pick as a shooting guard.  If he could shoot the ball and had point guard skills he'd be the first pick overall.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2013, 02:34:15 PM »
Harp if you must.   DG has made great strides and has had great moments.   I think Buzz is right to platoon him with Otule, as DG is still a defensive liability.  I am glad he has gotten the invite and hope it inspires him to become a more complete player.    Also, unless he drops another 25 lbs, I don't think he makes it to the league.   He has been a revelation as a college player, however, and I sure am glad MU has him.   But he still struggles to get his shot off against athletic bigs with decent technique.   What he does have going for him is great hands, great feet, a soft touch, and a good understanding how to use his bulk to create space, as well as finish through contact. 
   Sultanskink, not too long ago, we disagreed about JWilson.   You said he just wasn't athletic enough, I said he had all the athletic ability he needed, he just needed to play smarter, knowing when to be aggressive and how to not commit stupid early fouls.    I'm not bagging on Gardner.   He is the best post player MU has had since Damon Key.  And I don't think MU needs a one-and-done 7 ft'er to win.   I believe in developing bigs over time.  I just don't think DG is an elite center yet. 

Robert Jackson has something to say to that...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2013, 04:39:47 PM »
Another C MU called today:

Stephen Zimmerman. From Vegas. He's very good; many big schools have been on him for a long time.

Zimmerman was offered by Kentucky today.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2013, 07:47:01 PM »

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt that he was sarcastic due to the "....."

;)

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2013, 09:37:41 PM »
Zimmerman was offered by Kentucky today.

When it comes to 5-star recruits, the recruiting season doesnt start until UK (and a few other programs) identify their targets.

With the recent hire UK made to their athletic department, haters of Cal can put to bed the idea of him (or anyone else affiliated with that program) ever getting caught for an infraction. I suppose it isnt impossible, but it is highly unlikely at this point. As many former coaches have speculated, Cal is far more likely to get in trouble for something he did in the first 2-3 years of taking the UK job than he is of getting caught for anything now. I dont think he needs to cheat at this point...he created a machine...an image...a brand...of a program that is already considered a blue blood. Quite frankly, calling UK a blue blood is probably an insult since they are better than the rest of that group.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2013, 09:49:19 PM »
In 1996, Wes was named as one of the top 50 NBA players OF ALL TIME.

So was Scottie pippen.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2013, 09:58:17 PM »
When it comes to 5-star recruits, the recruiting season doesnt start until UK (and a few other programs) identify their targets.

With the recent hire UK made to their athletic department, haters of Cal can put to bed the idea of him (or anyone else affiliated with that program) ever getting caught for an infraction. I suppose it isnt impossible, but it is highly unlikely at this point. As many former coaches have speculated, Cal is far more likely to get in trouble for something he did in the first 2-3 years of taking the UK job than he is of getting caught for anything now. I dont think he needs to cheat at this point...he created a machine...an image...a brand...of a program that is already considered a blue blood. Quite frankly, calling UK a blue blood is probably an insult since they are better than the rest of that group.

All those recent National Championships are tough to argue with.  Oh wait...

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2013, 10:06:24 PM »
All those recent National Championships are tough to argue with.  Oh wait...

Pffftt. If they keep recruiting the way they are, they will win NC's every couple of years. How many programs can say that? I would gladly accept an NIT bid if it means winning an NC in the prior year. Odds are in their favor...and Vegas and the average college bball fan agrees.