collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Patrick Ewing: Ku Klux Klan rally stopped me from picking UNC  (Read 4687 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Patrick Ewing: Ku Klux Klan rally stopped me from picking UNC
By Steve DelVecchio June 13, 2013

http://network.yardbarker.com/all_sports/article_external/patrick_ewing_ku_klux_klan_rally_stopped_me_from_picking_unc/13828889

Patrick Ewing is arguably the greatest player in Georgetown basketball history, but what many people may not know is that he was close to becoming a North Carolina Tar Heel. Had it not been for the Ku Klux Klan or some loud creatures of the night, he might have been college teammates with Michael Jordan.

Ewing, who was recently named an associate head coach of the Charlotte Bobcats, spoke to “The Dan Patrick Show” on Thursday about his relationship with Jordan. That led to a question about whether or not he was ever close to committing to UNC.

“I was close,” Ewing said. “North Carolina was a very good school, but when I went down there they put me in that Carolina Inn and there was a big Ku Klux Klan rally in North Carolina when I was there. I’m like, ‘You know what, I’m not coming down here.’ I’m staying my butt back in Boston.’ ”

However, it wasn’t just the presence of an organized racism rally that soured Ewing on the idea of attending school a bit further south. He also hated the bugs.

“And you know in North Carolina you hear all the crickets,” he said. “They stuck me in that Carolina Inn. At night down in North Carolina it gets pitch black and I hear all the crickets and I’m jumping and I’m like what the heck. So I (decided) I’m going back home.”

Ewing did add that his first choice was always Georgetown and his second choice was UCLA, so the KKK and the crickets may not have completely ruined things for UNC. Considering Ewing remembers it all so vividly, it’s certainly safe to assume it played a major role in his decision.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 10:29:22 PM by AnotherMU84 »

Sunbelt15

• All American
Re: Patrick Ewing: Ku Klux Klan rally stopped me from picking UNC
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 09:20:55 PM »
It's totally believable during those times. Unfortunate because that would have been one hell of a tandem.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 05:34:58 PM »
Patrick Ewing: Ku Klux Klan rally stopped me from picking UNC
By Steve DelVecchio June 13, 2013

http://network.yardbarker.com/all_sports/article_external/patrick_ewing_ku_klux_klan_rally_stopped_me_from_picking_unc/13828889

Patrick Ewing is arguably the greatest player in Georgetown basketball history, but what many people may not know is that he was close to becoming a North Carolina Tar Heel. Had it not been for the Ku Klux Klan or some loud creatures of the night, he might have been college teammates with Michael Jordan.

Ewing, who was recently named an associate head coach of the Charlotte Bobcats, spoke to “The Dan Patrick Show” on Thursday about his relationship with Jordan. That led to a question about whether or not he was ever close to committing to UNC.

“I was close,” Ewing said. “North Carolina was a very good school, but when I went down there they put me in that Carolina Inn and there was a big Ku Klux Klan rally in North Carolina when I was there. I’m like, ‘You know what, I’m not coming down here.’ I’m staying my butt back in Boston.’ ”

However, it wasn’t just the presence of an organized racism rally that soured Ewing on the idea of attending school a bit further south. He also hated the bugs.

“And you know in North Carolina you hear all the crickets,” he said. “They stuck me in that Carolina Inn. At night down in North Carolina it gets pitch black and I hear all the crickets and I’m jumping and I’m like what the heck. So I (decided) I’m going back home.”

Ewing did add that his first choice was always Georgetown and his second choice was UCLA, so the KKK and the crickets may not have completely ruined things for UNC. Considering Ewing remembers it all so vividly, it’s certainly safe to assume it played a major role in his decision.

Right, because when I think of smooth race relations, I immediately think of Boston.::) Ask Bill Russell what he thinks of Bean Town. Plenty of other Celtics and Red Sox have been less than kind with their observations over the years.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 09:36:24 AM »
Right, because when I think of smooth race relations, I immediately think of Boston.::) Ask Bill Russell what he thinks of Bean Town. Plenty of other Celtics and Red Sox have been less than kind with their observations over the years.

But that's where he grew up.  I'm sure he had to deal with racism, but he didn't have to deal with the KKK.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 09:54:08 AM »

But that's where he grew up.  I'm sure he had to deal with racism, but he didn't have to deal with the KKK.

This.  If given the choice, most rational people will voluntarily accept someone shatting in his/her bed over involuntarily accepting an invitation to a klan meeting.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 10:33:51 AM »

Boston, MA April 5, 1976

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 02:31:46 PM »

Boston, MA April 5, 1976

It's sad that lots of that stupidity still exist.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 02:57:25 PM »

The Klan is always associated with the Deep South but Indiana has played the most prominent role in KKK history. 

Death on call

feedback