Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Where Vander Blue ranks among SG prospects  (Read 2056 times)

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
We realize Vander wants to transition to PG, but there's still a chance a general manager selects him to play his natural position, shooting guard. With that in mind, here's how he stacks up against those players:

http://painttouches.com/2013/05/20/where-blue-ranks-among-sg-prospects/

Groin_pull

• All American
Re: [Paint Touches] Where Vander Blue ranks among SG prospects
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 05:07:49 PM »
Not sure how many GMs are interested. Haven't seen his name in any recent NBA mock drafts.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 05:47:31 PM »
Good info, strotty.

Here's Draft Express updated after the lottery:

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2013/

No Vander in either round.

I have seen six other mock drafts first rounds, from reputable folks such as ESPN and SI to lowlifes such as Bleacher Report and TSN, and no Vander in sight. None of them went into the second round.

Vander has a lot, lot, lot to prove in workouts for individual teams, not that I'm giving away any government secrets there.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuMark

• All American

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 06:11:58 PM »
Helped himself today

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2013/05/nba-draft-stock-watch-brooklyn-nets/#2

This remains the most common refrain time and time again....hopefully it works out.

"He most likely could have benefited returning to school to smooth out the kinks in his PG game...."

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 09:42:25 PM »
This remains the most common refrain time and time again....hopefully it works out.

"He most likely could have benefited returning to school to smooth out the kinks in his PG game...."

What makes this so funny is that there are plenty of minutes at the PG available. He could easily get 25 min a game at PG with another 10 at SG. Derrick Wilson would get screwed but we would be stacked and VB would be able show he can lead a contender.

VB/DuW
Mayo/JJJ
Wilson/Burton
McKay/STJ
Otule/Gardner

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 11:09:38 PM »
Helped himself today

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2013/05/nba-draft-stock-watch-brooklyn-nets/#2

That's not exactly the type of praise a guy needs at this point.  Basically says that drafting him would be a gamble that may pay off if he develops as a pg.

Hope he shows enough to get someone to bite.

amen426

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 11:31:47 PM »
Per the article:
BJ Young: "His ability to score and explosive first step make him a viable candidate to see plenty of time at shooting guard."
Vander Blue: "his outside shoot needs serious improvement".
-----

In my opinion, BJ Young should be brought down a tier. I think it is actually fairly wide-open between Vander and BJ in terms of draft positioning. Young shot 22% from 3 this year - not exactly the numbers you'd expect from a prospect who is known for being a "scorer". .

Blue had higher scoring efficiency numbers this past year. If both Blue and Young have comparable shooting deficiencies, I don't see why Young should be in a different tier. Blue is regarded as a better defender, or at the very least, at 20 lb's heavier, the more likely of the two to be able to defend both guard positions.

Blue helped lead MU to the Elite 8, while BJ Young was relegated to coming off the bench in 6 games late this season.

Young obviously has NBA athleticism, and a lightning quick first step -- but I don't think that he's in a different class than Blue. I think Blue and he will battle for one of the last guard spots in this draft.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 08:31:12 AM »
What makes this so funny is that there are plenty of minutes at the PG available. He could easily get 25 min a game at PG with another 10 at SG. Derrick Wilson would get screwed but we would be stacked and VB would be able show he can lead a contender.

VB/DuW
Mayo/JJJ
Wilson/Burton
McKay/STJ
Otule/Gardner

Marquette's PG situation for next season really could have set up Blue perfectly to show off his PG skills for NBA scouts...or he could have crashed and burned as a PG, wasted a year that he could have been making money and been written off by NBA teams. Not saying he made the right decision leaving early, but sometimes less is more.

Personally, I think he would have done a great job for MU as the primary ball-handler and helped himself. 

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 08:44:01 AM »
People are working him out to see if he's worth bringing in as an undrafted free agent.

feedback