collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Own a piece of "The 'Lanche"  (Read 30837 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Own a piece of "The 'Lanche"
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2013, 08:40:30 PM »
Lenny, just curious, with your close family ties to the Lanche, why the choice in monikers.

Sorry, Chili but if you have to ask then you'll never understand. Lenny and Sarah created more than a mere watering hole. Their haven was a crackling florescent bath that lapped at the ragged shore of a man's shattered existence. It was a place where heartache wasn't a stranger and the sting of cheap booze somehow only eased but never cured life's agony.

A heady mixture of sweat, cigarette smoke, body odor, and the stale perfume of the tart in leopard skin spandex whose ass was wrapped around her bar stool and her cherry red lips around the head of a PBR bottle. The denizens of the deep offered desultory companionship where a man could lose himself in those warm moist folds of flesh for the price of a roast chicken dinner.

It was a place Al would have been proud to drink at and probably did. Where dreams died and agony thrived through the gauzy fog of one last unfiltered Camel. For a few dollars a man could find sanctuary in a guileless world of doom and despair framed in flashing neon. Redemption, however fleeting, was bought for a song as shots of cheap rye cleansed the soul, purged the doubts, and stoked the embers of hope before being extinguished once more by the crashing waves of yet another desperate dawn. Of all the gin joints in Milwaukee this was the oasis, the shimmering chimera of shame in city that gives no quarter...

Death on call

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2013, 09:03:22 PM »
Sorry, Chili but if you have to ask then you'll never understand. Lenny and Sarah created more than a mere watering hole. Their haven was a crackling florescent bath that lapped at the ragged shore of a man's shattered existence. It was a place where heartache wasn't a stranger and the sting of cheap booze somehow only eased but never cured life's agony.

A heady mixture of sweat, cigarette smoke, body odor, and the stale perfume of the tart in leopard skin spandex whose ass was wrapped around her bar stool and her cherry red lips around the head of a PBR bottle. The denizens of the deep offered desultory companionship where a man could lose himself in those warm moist folds of flesh for the price of a roast chicken dinner.

It was a place Al would have been proud to drink at and probably did. Where dreams died and agony thrived through the gauzy fog of one last unfiltered Camel. For a few dollars a man could find sanctuary in a guileless world of doom and despair framed in flashing neon. Redemption, however fleeting, was bought for a song as shots of cheap rye cleansed the soul, purged the doubts, and stoked the embers of hope before being extinguished once more by the crashing waves of yet another desperate dawn. Of all the gin joints in Milwaukee this was the oasis, the shimmering chimera of shame in city that gives no quarter [\quote]

I think you missed my point.

Quite an elogant answer, I must say my friend.  Epigrammatic, privy, sententious, and dissemble. ;)

What say you Lenny?

« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 09:05:18 PM by real chili 83 »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2013, 09:23:52 PM »

It was a place Al would have been proud to drink at and probably did. Where dreams died and agony thrived through the gauzy fog of one last unfiltered Camel. For a few dollars a man could find sanctuary in a guileless world of doom and despair framed in flashing neon. Redemption, however fleeting, was bought for a song as shots of cheap rye cleansed the soul, purged the doubts, and stoked the embers of hope before being extinguished once more by the crashing waves of yet another desperate dawn. Of all the gin joints in Milwaukee this was the oasis, the shimmering chimera of shame in city that gives no quarter...

Poetry, man. Thanks for the trip down that unique memory lane that was Lennys. And Chili, something tells me you would have felt right at home there, too.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 09:27:30 PM by Lennys Tap »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2013, 09:32:56 PM »
Poetry, man. Thanks for the trip down that unique memory lane that was Lennys. And Chili, something tells me you would have felt right at home there, too.

I did..

Frosh year, living on the better half of 10 Schroeder, it was our distinct pleasure to OPEN Lenny's at 6AM.

That was after Real Chili 4 hours earlier.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 09:36:19 PM by real chili 83 »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2013, 10:02:56 PM »
I did..

Frosh year, living on the better half of 10 Schroeder, it was our distinct pleasure to OPEN Lenny's at 6AM.

That was after Real Chili 4 hours earlier.

That, sir, is yeoman's work - and as a freshman, no less. Kudos.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2013, 10:38:58 PM »

Someone make a movie of this. Brilliant.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2013, 10:52:40 PM »
Someone make a movie of this. Brilliant.

Keefe has more than one memorable noir screenplay knocking around his large brain.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2013, 10:08:31 AM »
I think I already have a piece of the lanche embedded in me from a late night slide
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2013, 10:13:41 PM »
right ... it closed in April, 1997
But it wasn't demolished until 6 years later. I remember coming back from Minneapolis after the Sweet Sixteen and Elite Eight wins and going to the MU Bookstore. They were tearing down the 'Lanche the week between the Final Four and no one seemed to even notice. Sure would be nice to have a real bar on campus to go back to every once in a while said the grumpy old man. Seems "weasely" to try make money off of a place they despised and worked so hard to shut down.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2013, 10:50:53 AM »
Seems "weasely" to try make money off of a place they despised and worked so hard to shut down.

+1

tower912

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2013, 10:58:07 AM »
Heg's or the Gym offer bricks, I will be interested.    Not the lanche. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2013, 11:01:25 AM »
keefe, lenny, real.....

You guys are beyond amazing.  I can't recite the line from Stripes that Bill Murray uttered but it ended with "I wanna party with you guys."  I certainly played reasonably hard in my days at MU but I was absolutely minor league compared to you.  I never once closed Chili and then opened any bar at 6am.

I'm assuming we all graduated, yes?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 11:06:17 AM by jsglow »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2013, 11:25:25 AM »
keefe, lenny, real.....

You guys are beyond amazing.  I can't recite the line from Stripes that Bill Murray uttered but it ended with "I wanna party with you guys."  I certainly played reasonably hard in my days at MU but I was absolutely minor league compared to you.  I never once closed Chili and then opened any bar at 6am.

Graduated?

“Christ, seven years of college, down the drain...”

Death on call

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2013, 11:29:26 AM »
Back in the day, F*ckin' owned a piece of Blanche. That explains a lot of his present condition.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2013, 11:40:48 AM »
Back in the day, F*ckin' owned a piece of Blanche. That explains a lot of his present condition.

"Whoever you are, I have always depended on the kindness of strangers..."

Death on call

reinko

• All American
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2013, 11:53:18 AM »

This Blanche?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2013, 12:06:26 PM »
Nah, his taste is more sophisticated.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2013, 12:09:44 PM »

You weren't referring to Blanche DuBois???

Death on call

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2013, 12:16:09 PM »
keefe, lenny, real.....

Glow - any fair reading of my college years would conclude that I erred on the side of non scholarly pursuits. That said, I did graduate - and in 4 years, much to the surprise of some of my more studious friends.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2013, 12:26:11 PM »
Glow - any fair reading of my college years would conclude that I erred on the side of non scholarly pursuits. That said, I did graduate - and in 4 years, much to the surprise of some of my more studious friends.

Lenny

Your being graduated gave a lot of hope to all the rest of us struggling to come to terms with our rather serious limitations. You were an inspiration to all of us agonizing over our own meager attempts at matriculation.

Death on call

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2013, 12:39:42 PM »

I hear that from lots of guys back from my era and before and I graduated in '83.  My Bradley Center seatmate was a '69 graduate after 5 years having switched from Engineering to Business and would readily admit he'd never survive today.  My own dad took 7 years to graduate in '56 partly because he worked full time, partly not.  

For those that have lost touch with the current Marquette, graduating today in 4 years takes a steady and quite serious commitment; albeit certainly allowing for a reasonable 'balance' of fun.

Quick story about my now Sophomore son.  He's meeting LW at the Notre Dame game this past year and Larry asks him why he has the word 'sandwich' written in ink on his left hand.  'Well sir, I bought it last night at Subway and didn't want to forget it at 6 this morning when I left Abbottsford to get in line down at the BC.'  Larry's approving response.....  'Nice!'

Somehow as a dad I liked that level of 'fun' although I'm not naive about his new found taste for barley pop.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2013, 01:53:28 PM »
I hear that from lots of guys back from my era and before and I graduated in '83.  My Bradley Center seatmate was a '69 graduate after 5 years having switched from Engineering to Business and would readily admit he'd never survive today.  My own dad took 7 years to graduate in '56 partly because he worked full time, partly not.  

For those that have lost touch with the current Marquette, graduating today in 4 years takes a steady and quite serious commitment; albeit certainly allowing for a reasonable 'balance' of fun.

Quick story about my now Sophomore son.  He's meeting LW at the Notre Dame game this past year and Larry asks him why he has the word 'sandwich' written in ink on his left hand.  'Well sir, I bought it last night at Subway and didn't want to forget it at 6 this morning when I left Abbottsford to get in line down at the BC.'  Larry's approving response.....  'Nice!'

Somehow as a dad I liked that level of 'fun' although I'm not naive about his new found taste for barley pop.

Glow

Is the 4 year matriculation cycle becoming less standard?

Death on call

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2013, 02:02:30 PM »
keefe, lenny, real.....

Did I graduate in four years?  Yes

Have I grown up much since then?  Heck no.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2013, 02:13:00 PM »
Lenny

Your being graduated gave a lot of hope to all the rest of us struggling to come to terms with our rather serious limitations. You were an inspiration to all of us agonizing over our own meager attempts at matriculation.

Keefe

I didn't light the torch for those who learned more in the recesses of a Lenny's Tap than in the outdated classrooms of Johnson Hall, but I readily accepted it and passed it on (to most worthy guys like you) without regret. Lenny's was part of the"classrooms without borders" program at Marquette and there was no finer professor than Dr. Bernstein, no more engaging group of students than his regulars. Nothing against the more mainstream aspects of Marquette (I was very much involved and it sounds like you were even more so), but immersion into that intriguing neighborhood was a must and only a local tavern could provide that access.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2013, 02:20:56 PM »

Glow

No doubt Marquette today requires much more attention to school work than it did in my day, but from my observations (my oldest daughter graduated in 4 years and I make the trip from Chicago to most home games) the students still have plenty of fun.

feedback