Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[May 31, 2024, 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[May 31, 2024, 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[May 31, 2024, 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Chad Ford on Vander (new)  (Read 10388 times)

The Equalizer

• All American
Re: Chad Ford on Vander (new)
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2013, 08:55:39 AM »
Chico's

I said on here months ago that I heard Vander was going pro this year regardless of his performance. Person that told me this I trust a great deal and he stated that was common knowledge within the program. Love Buzz big time, but he is sly guy. Expectations were probably at very high level for next year and this helps put the chip on the shoulder back into play. He might have known Blue was going but like everyone on here believe it is mistake. I stood steady on Blue leaving for months yet I was hoping he would hang around.

Given what we heard about Todd Mayo's non-relationship with Buzz last year, I don't completely buy in to the fact that Buzz knew about Vander's plans.

Perhaps he heard that Vander was thinking about leaving early, but the surprise came from the fact that he actually did it--in the interviews it comes across as  news to him.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2013, 08:57:49 AM »
Been thinking about this a lot lately. Vander will go in the 2nd round. I hated to see him leave, but this was the right choice for him.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2013, 09:05:07 AM »

DJO had a terrible handle.  Dribbled way too high.  He was a better finisher, but Vander made leaps and bounds in that area over the past year.

Never been impressed w/ Vander's either.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2013, 09:15:34 AM »
Been thinking about this a lot lately. Vander will go in the 2nd round. I hated to see him leave, but this was the right choice for him.

If he would have gone in 1st round next year with guaranteed money, different answer.  We'll never know.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2013, 10:23:42 AM »
I don't think htis will work out well for VB, but if he was mentally checked out of school, it is for the best.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2013, 10:32:43 AM »
What are you talking about? You seem to have a very short and selective memory about Vander. Do you have no memory of the many times DJO drove, stopped, and made a fade-away jumper to halt a run?

DJO scored much more points, shot the ball more, had a better effective FG%, True shooting %, player efficiency rating, 3 point %, and in all but 1 year a better FG% (by .07%). In Vander's best year, his efficiency doesn't come close to DJO's worst.

To clarify, I meant that Vander's mid range game from his JR year was better than DJO's. If we are comparing careers then yes, DJO's was significantly better. DJO was also a much better three point shooter.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2013, 10:49:50 AM »
If he would have gone in 1st round next year with guaranteed money, different answer.  We'll never know.

Agreed, but what if he fell off or had an injury next year, and went undrafted after next year? He is striking while the iron is hot and you can't fault him for that.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2013, 10:53:54 AM »
Given what we heard about Todd Mayo's non-relationship with Buzz last year, I don't completely buy in to the fact that Buzz knew about Vander's plans.

Perhaps he heard that Vander was thinking about leaving early, but the surprise came from the fact that he actually did it--in the interviews it comes across as  news to him.

That's hard for me to believe.  Everyone knew that Vander's only goal was to go pro as quickly as possible.  If I knew that, the coaching staff knew it.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2013, 11:11:00 AM »
Agreed, but what if he fell off or had an injury next year, and went undrafted after next year? He is striking while the iron is hot and you can't fault him for that.

I think the larger point is that the iron is not as hot as he and some here believe it is.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2013, 11:12:16 AM »

You're right we'll never know.  But the odds seem better that he will get drafted this year.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2013, 11:18:35 AM »

I can fault him because I want my National Championship. Kind of like how Bud Kilmer wants his district title in Varsity Blues
Bring back FFP!!!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2013, 11:19:48 AM »

Yup.  Though I would argue he's striking while HE thinks the iron is hot, whether the market place does (the teams), remains to be seen.  Always risk and reward with decisions in life, this is just at an elevated scale than 99% of the public has to go through.  Hope it works out for him.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 10:43:14 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2013, 10:19:01 AM »
To clarify, I meant that Vander's mid range game from his JR year was better than DJO's. If we are comparing careers then yes, DJO's was significantly better. DJO was also a much better three point shooter.

But it wasn't. Ever.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2013, 07:09:07 PM »
It's tough to compare DJO and VB for NBA potential, simply because DJO is 6'1 maybe and VB is a long 6'4.  DJO definitely had and has more skills, but the height could make the difference for Vander. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2013, 07:16:50 PM »
But it wasn't. Ever.

Vander Blue's 2 pt. FG% last year was 14 points higher than DJO's his last season.

Vander's mid range game was clearly better than DJO's last year.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2013, 07:17:49 PM »
It's tough to compare DJO and VB for NBA potential, simply because DJO is 6'1 maybe and VB is a long 6'4.  DJO definitely had and has more skills, but the height could make the difference for Vander. 

Skills?  DJO could do one thing better than Vander - long range shooting.  That's about it.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2013, 08:16:15 PM »

Skills?  DJO could do one thing better than Vander - long range shooting.  That's about it.

Yup.

I'm surprised how many people here think DJO was a better pro prospect than Vander. I think it's Vander and I don't think it's that close.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2013, 08:21:37 PM »
Yup.

I'm surprised how many people here think DJO was a better pro prospect than Vander. I think it's Vander and I don't think it's that close.

Half this board thinks the only thing that makes a player worthwhile is scoring.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2013, 08:25:34 PM »

Half this board thinks the only thing that makes a player worthwhile is scoring.

Yeah, I love it when we start playing the stat comparison game to figure out who the better pro prospect is.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2013, 09:35:45 AM »

Vander Blue's 2 pt. FG% last year was 14 points higher than DJO's his last season.

Vander's mid range game was clearly better than DJO's last year.

Where are you getting those numbers?  Statsheet has FG and 3FG, so I computed 2FG%.

Vander's junior year vs. DJO's Senior year 2fg%:
Vander: 52.8% .. DJO 49.3%. 

Both numbers are great, but separated by 3.5, not 14 points. 

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2013, 09:41:01 AM »

???  No NBA team wants him.

I know he's in Russia, but those were my sentiments before he was drafted.
I still think he'll return to the League someday.

Like I posted earlier, DJO's ceiling seemed limited (compared to Vander's). NBA teams want to see some ceiling in their investment.
SS Marquette

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2013, 09:58:02 AM »
Where are you getting those numbers?  Statsheet has FG and 3FG, so I computed 2FG%.

Vander's junior year vs. DJO's Senior year 2fg%:
Vander: 52.8% .. DJO 49.3%. 

Both numbers are great, but separated by 3.5, not 14 points. 

You are correct.  I looked at the wrong number for DJO.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2013, 09:58:43 AM »
I know he's in Russia, but those were my sentiments before he was drafted.
I still think he'll return to the League someday.

Like I posted earlier, DJO's ceiling seemed limited (compared to Vander's). NBA teams want to see some ceiling in their investment.

Unless DJO can significantly improve his outside shot, I just don't see it.

I think Buycks makes the NBA before DJO does.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2013, 11:24:02 AM »
The more I think about this and analyze it, I think Vander winds up a first round pick. Might not be totally apples/apples, but I think teams will look at Vander and see Iman Shumpert (ironically). I think the more success Shumpert has in the playoffs, helps Vander's stock rise (even though they are mutually exclusive).

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2013, 11:31:47 AM »
Mea Culpa, I didn't see Sultan's thread on the Vander/Shumpert comparison until now, my bad.