[Today at 05:58:24 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by mileskishnish72
[Today at 05:50:19 PM]

Marquette NBA Thread by barfolomew
[Today at 05:19:49 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 10:43:34 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Jason Collins  (Read 34754 times)

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
Re: Jason Collins
« Reply #100 on: April 30, 2013, 10:20:56 AM »
Now waiting for the first NBA owner to come out... maybe when Kohl sells the Bucks?
Fantastic.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #101 on: April 30, 2013, 10:21:42 AM »
So a man and woman can't pretend to be in love to get married and get those benefits???  I'm pretty sure that was the entire premise of that terrible Ryan Reynolds-Sanda Bullock rom com that I don't know the name of.  Do a man and woman have to prove they are "in it for the right reasons"?

What does it matter if someone identifies as gay or straight to determine their rights?

I do think that because so much attention gets paid to this sort of stuff there is a natural push back that occurs because the number of people impacted is smaller than the attention paid to it.  I'm not saying that attention shouldn't be paid, but I think people need to divorce the topic from the medias' tendency to go all OMG on everything.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #102 on: April 30, 2013, 10:24:05 AM »
Yes, the problem with gay marriage is expanded rights of property and estate transfers with tax implications to same sex partners.  So, as I noted before, businesspeople could "marry" to take advantage of the better tax treatment.  Yes, male/female businesspeople can and do that now.  But same sex will vastly expand this potential abuse.

This was part of the gay marriage debate at the Supreme court ... if they extend rights and privileges to gays, how does not prove they are gay?

For instance, it LBGT becomes true minority status (and don't fool yourself this is where we are going), then will universities have quotas for LBGT students?  Will kids seeking to get into an elite university "just say" they are LBGT to increase their chances of acceptance?  How does one prove that are LBGT?

OOOooooo....

A strawman makes an appearance!!!!

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #103 on: April 30, 2013, 10:25:36 AM »
This is exactly the problem, and has been for years.  When it is in your interest, just say you're gay and then you become a "protected class."  And yes it happens (i.e., landlord goes to evict someone and then they announce their gay and accuse the landlord of discriminating).

So expanding the "rights" of LBGT is a slippery slope as those that believe it is in their interest will claim they are gay merely to take advantage of these rights.

Your confusing bitterness suggests a vendetta due to a slighting in your past.

More importantly, please answer my question on Robbie Rogers.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #104 on: April 30, 2013, 10:28:00 AM »
What's the motivation to decide to become gay? Not being ridiculed enough in HS? Strong desire to be mocked by bigots?

What's the motivation to stretch an earlobe and put a big "plug" in it? What's the motivation to tattoo your face?
What's the motivation to commit stupid crimes? What's the motivation to do illicit drugs? Why wear weird make up and wear black clothing?

Some people do things because others are doing it. Some people want to be accepted. Why would you believe being gay would be any different? Is being gay such a horrible thing that you believe no one would choose to do it of their own volition?

I hear this line of thinking and it seems strange: "Being gay is great and wonderful. I'm so proud of the gay community! By the way, people are only gay because they were born that way. No one would actually just decide to be gay."

It's as if some people praise gays for their sexual preference, yet "forgive them" because it's not really their own choice. Strange.

PS - the gay marriage debate is silly. If you want true equality than why are you not telling the gov't to get out of the marriage business. Why should unmarried people be "disadvantaged" because of their personal (and often religion-based) decision to NOT marry? Gay marriage isn't about equality.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 10:29:40 AM by Jay Bee »
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #105 on: April 30, 2013, 10:32:01 AM »
Yes, the problem with gay marriage is expanded rights of property and estate transfers with tax implications to same sex partners.  So, as I noted before, businesspeople could "marry" to take advantage of the better tax treatment.  Yes, male/female businesspeople can and do that now.  But same sex will vastly expand this potential abuse.

This was part of the gay marriage debate at the Supreme court ... if they extend rights and privileges to gays, how does not prove they are gay?

For instance, it LBGT becomes true minority status (and don't fool yourself this is where we are going), then will universities have quotas for LBGT students?  Will kids seeking to get into an elite university "just say" they are LBGT to increase their chances of acceptance?  How does one prove that are LBGT?

So the first 4% of people to claim they are gay get the rights, after that TS...problem solved.   ;D

The great irony is we are getting to the point where identity is fractured so there is literally no majority.  However extending marriage to a gay couple is completely different from a quota on LBGT students, there is no quota for married couples that I'm aware of.  
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #106 on: April 30, 2013, 10:34:11 AM »
Yes, you're right. There is no scientific evidence supporting global warming or that homosexuality is not a choice. Just stop before you embarass yourself even more.

Also, I'm not usually one to correct people on grammar, but because every other post in this thread belongs to you and you keep doing it, it's THERE. Not their.

The most depressing part of this entire thread is that you hold a parchment from the same school that I do.

That is a pretty bigoted statement

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #107 on: April 30, 2013, 10:34:40 AM »
What's the motivation to stretch an earlobe and put a big "plug" in it? What's the motivation to tattoo your face?
What's the motivation to commit stupid crimes? What's the motivation to do illicit drugs? Why wear weird make up and wear black clothing?

Some people do things because others are doing it. Some people want to be accepted. Why would you believe being gay would be any different? Is being gay such a horrible thing that you believe no one would choose to do it of their own volition?

I hear this line of thinking and it seems strange: "Being gay is great and wonderful. I'm so proud of the gay community! By the way, people are only gay because they were born that way. No one would actually just decide to be gay."

It's as if some people praise gays for their sexual preference, yet "forgive them" because it's not really their own choice. Strange.

People aren't praising people for their sexual preference.  They are praising people for having the courage to be honest and open about their sexual preference.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #108 on: April 30, 2013, 10:34:55 AM »
That is a pretty bigoted statement

Yes.  And it one I share with Victor.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #109 on: April 30, 2013, 10:35:59 AM »
Yes, the problem with gay marriage is expanded rights of property and estate transfers with tax implications to same sex partners.  So, as I noted before, businesspeople could "marry" to take advantage of the better tax treatment.  Yes, male/female businesspeople can and do that now.  But same sex will vastly expand this potential abuse.

For instance, it LBGT becomes true minority status (and don't fool yourself this is where we are going), then will universities have quotas for LBGT students?  Will kids seeking to get into an elite university "just say" they are LBGT to increase their chances of acceptance?  How does one prove that are LBGT?

Theoretically, it could all happen.

BUT, is it ACTUALLY happening?

Outside of Jack Tripper and/or Tim Whatley, I haven't heard someone becoming gay (or Jewish) for monetary or social gain.

EDIT: Forgot Chuck and Larry. That's actually a decent movie.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 10:46:20 AM by Guns n Ammo »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #110 on: April 30, 2013, 10:37:50 AM »

People aren't praising people for their sexual preference.  They are praising people for having the courage to be honest and open about their sexual preference.

ONLY because that preference is GAY.

Try having a parade praising those with a straight sexual preference and see what happens.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #111 on: April 30, 2013, 10:40:54 AM »

Try having a parade praising those with a straight sexual preference and see what happens.

There's German fest, Irish fest, etc.

If you want to have "straight fest", nobody can stop you. Go for it. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #112 on: April 30, 2013, 10:41:30 AM »

Are you also upset that hip-hop artists get to say the 'N' word and you don't?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #113 on: April 30, 2013, 10:43:58 AM »

You should suggest that we have White History Month as your next point of argument.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #114 on: April 30, 2013, 10:44:13 AM »
Just read through this whole thread.  Can't believe it's still unlocked...

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #115 on: April 30, 2013, 10:54:18 AM »
Exactly, you believe.  That is the problem, their is no proof, just conflicted research driven by agendas (similar to the Climate change debate).  Being a minority, one's sex, a handicap are readily identifiable traits that you do not get to choose.  Their is no evidence of a "gay gene" so the debate is whether being gay is purely voluntary.

If it is voluntary, then no special rights should be given.

MU84 your arguments are a f'ing joke.

1) Yes, I believe that somebody doesn't choose to be gay.  Until they "scientifically prove" it for you I'll tell you why.  Why would somebody choose to be gay when half of society is like you MU84 and would do anything in their power to ridicule them, question them, tell them how 'wrong' they are, and make their life a living hell.  Why would somebody choose that poker hand?  If you know anybody that is gay (and I doubt you do) they'll explain this in more detail for you.

2) That is what makes the Collins story a big deal; if schmucks like you don't want it to be a big deal then stop being a schmuck.

3) I don't understand your property argument and tax argument.  I know a vast amount of man/woman couples that are not only married, but are business partners.  You really think that the first reason they got married was for tax treatment?  If you do than I feel really sorry for you.  Your argument of not allowing gay marriage is based on a total hypothetical.  I betcha people are marching on the streets so they can get a tax benefit.

4) I know I might not share the same views as majority of people on this board or at Marquette, but some of these posts are just damn-right embarrassing that you could have came from the same school as me.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #116 on: April 30, 2013, 10:55:00 AM »

Yes.  And it one I share with Victor.

Admitting your a bigot on a message board. You're a true goddamn american hero

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #117 on: April 30, 2013, 11:05:21 AM »
1) Yes, I believe that somebody doesn't choose to be gay.  Until they "scientifically prove" it for you I'll tell you why.  Why would somebody choose to be gay when half of society is like you MU84 and would do anything in their power to ridicule them, question them, tell them how 'wrong' they are, and make their life a living hell.  Why would somebody choose that poker hand? 

Lots of people choose to do things that make others ridicule them. Some want to be accepted. Not by everyone, but by a certain group. This type of human behavior is not surprising. Do people that simply chose to be gay to 'fit in' exist? No doubt.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #118 on: April 30, 2013, 11:08:18 AM »
There's German fest, Irish fest, etc.

If you want to have "straight fest", nobody can stop you. Go for it. 

Now *that* would be boring.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #119 on: April 30, 2013, 11:08:52 AM »

False.  I have never heard anyone praised simply for being gay.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #120 on: April 30, 2013, 11:11:36 AM »
Before the lock...this is an unbelievably pathetic thread, even by MUScoop standards.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #121 on: April 30, 2013, 11:15:11 AM »
4) I know I might not share the same views as majority of people on this board or at Marquette, but some of these posts are just damn-right embarrassing that you could have came from the same school as me.

Why don't you guys take up a collection and buy my degree back from me.  How much is it worth to you?

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #122 on: April 30, 2013, 11:36:11 AM »
Good for Jason Collins. I'm happy that white American liberals have something to feel good about after the Boston bombers turned out to be Muslim terrorist welfare queens.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #123 on: April 30, 2013, 11:37:13 AM »
What's the motivation to decide to become gay? Not being ridiculed enough in HS? Strong desire to be mocked by bigots?

+1000

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #124 on: April 30, 2013, 11:40:48 AM »
Do you believe 100% of gays didn't choose to be gay?

Collins says he didn't choose to be gay. But why do some find it hard to believe that there are a number of people that simply choose to be gay? Even if you think there are people that are 'born gay', why would you think there are not those who just decide to be gay?  

Did you choose to be heterosexual?  I'll bet not.