Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: LW on the Dodds Board  (Read 27119 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: LW on the Dodds Board
« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2013, 07:25:47 PM »
I do wish they would have chosen Broeker as AD but I have no problems with Larry Williams as AD.

He makes a positive statement towards wanting Buzz and somehow people turn it into the complete opposite. 

I love Scoop yet hate it at the same time. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 31, 2013, 07:27:48 PM »
Then Marquette will have to find new revenue streams to pay the bills.

Like what? Maybe we could raise tuition to 60,000 a year and call ourselves Ivy League.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #77 on: March 31, 2013, 07:27:58 PM »
From people who've been there before Larry even got there.

Also from people outside the AD who would know full well if LW and Buzz hated each other.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

brandx

« Reply #78 on: March 31, 2013, 07:31:27 PM »
The fact that Buzz felt the need to leak the SMU stuff is an interesting thread all on its own.  I remember another coach that used to do that and people here would have their heads exploding.  Oh. THE.  IRONY.

Do you have proof of this - or does it just fit your narrative?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 31, 2013, 07:38:37 PM »
Here is an interesting paradigm:

How can MU Athletics and the MU board make a home run hire in Buzz, and then make the world's worst hire with LW?

Chicos believes they were stupid when they hired Buzz - remember the "process" thing? He evidently likes the process used in the LW hiring and backs him on everything, even though he hasn't passed his very own 5 year test. Funny, eh?

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 31, 2013, 07:47:52 PM »
Past off season shook me up, hopefully this off season will restore my faith in Larry and Pilarz.   I wish them success, we've entered prime time.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #81 on: March 31, 2013, 08:17:24 PM »
Past off season shook me up, hopefully this off season will restore my faith in Larry and Pilarz.   I wish them success, we've entered prime time.

Last season was caused by a man looking for website traffic and paranoid fans.  Keep clam and ahoya on.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 31, 2013, 08:27:53 PM »
Last season was caused by a man looking for website traffic and paranoid fans.  Keep clam and ahoya on.

IWB is a liar?   I've never known him to lie in the past.  He's been pretty responsible with info in the past.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #83 on: March 31, 2013, 08:35:29 PM »
IWB is a liar?   I've never known him to lie in the past.  He's been pretty responsible with info in the past.

I forgot what he said exactly but I wouldn't call it a lie.  If I remember it was more of a vague statement that would knowing cause speculation. 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #84 on: March 31, 2013, 08:38:57 PM »

There's a pretty sizable crevasse between truth and lie.  Unfortunately, in a world where page views are the primary goal, writers will twist and bend the truth - or just write garbage - in order to drive that page counter up.  That doesn't mean these guys are liars... some of them might actually be stand-up guys and/or decent journalists... but they do know where their bread is buttered.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #85 on: March 31, 2013, 08:40:44 PM »
There's a pretty sizable crevasse between truth and lie.  Unfortunately, in a world where page views are the primary goal, writers will twist and bend the truth - or just write garbage - in order to drive that page counter up.  That doesn't mean these guys are liars... some of them might actually be stand-up guys and/or decent journalists... but they do know where their bread is buttered.

This.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #86 on: March 31, 2013, 08:47:25 PM »
IWB has always had close contact with our coaches and insider information, specifically dealing with inside information from the MU coach on recruiting.  At least during the 10+ years he's been doing this he's been responsible.  IWB was never irresponsible at the different websites he has been at, just randomly speculating.  Finding out about things like grade standards being changed, etc. have had to come from "insider" information guys, the AD won't straight up tell the MU faithful.  If Buzz  wants to get his side out he does it through friends like IWB, Jeff Goodman, etc.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #87 on: March 31, 2013, 08:47:28 PM »
Do you have proof of this - or does it just fit your narrative?

Really.  You might want to read a few threads here about that entire incident.  Let's start here...not my narrative

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=32045.msg381848#msg381848

gjreda

• Team Captain
  • I miss Real Chili.
« Reply #88 on: March 31, 2013, 08:51:38 PM »
As TallTitan said:

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #89 on: March 31, 2013, 08:51:47 PM »
Chicos believes they were stupid when they hired Buzz - remember the "process" thing? He evidently likes the process used in the LW hiring and backs him on everything, even though he hasn't passed his very own 5 year test. Funny, eh?

Nope.

Why don't you go back and read what I said 5 years ago and comments since....try again.  I said time and again, "so far so good" with Buzz.  Didn't like the process, but once he was hired was on board.  Go back and read and stop making crap up.  

On the 5 years, I have said and been consistent from day one that I would ULTIMATELY judge someone 5 years later, but so far so good.  I have seen too many Bruiser Flints, Steve Lavins, Mike Deanes, that started out great but were gone by year 5.  That was my point.  I NEVER said you wait until 5 years and ignore things a long the way and suddenly you have this grand decision at year 5.  Funny how often you confuse these things or just blatantly lie about them....with your advanced age I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that's it merely fatigue on your part.

And since when does 5 years apply to other professions?  It doesn't.  I use it for coaches and never said a word about any other profession, but nice try.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 09:06:13 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #90 on: March 31, 2013, 09:00:07 PM »
From people who've been there before Larry even got there.

In my case, people that have been there LONG before Larry got there and some that aren't in Athletics but know what the heck is going on.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #91 on: March 31, 2013, 09:00:56 PM »
I do wish they would have chosen Broeker as AD but I have no problems with Larry Williams as AD.

He makes a positive statement towards wanting Buzz and somehow people turn it into the complete opposite. 

I love Scoop yet hate it at the same time. 

Tall, they couldn't.  With what went down, all the nonsense, they had to go outside of the department and university.  They really had no choice.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #92 on: March 31, 2013, 09:06:01 PM »
IWB has always had close contact with our coaches and insider information, specifically dealing with inside information from the MU coach on recruiting.  At least during the 10+ years he's been doing this he's been responsible.  IWB was never irresponsible at the different websites he has been at, just randomly speculating.  Finding out about things like grade standards being changed, etc. have had to come from "insider" information guys, the AD won't straight up tell the MU faithful.  If Buzz  wants to get his side out he does it through friends like IWB, Jeff Goodman, etc.

Just my opinion, but I think you're way overestimating the relationship between Buzz and his "friends."

Personally, I just can't see Buzz finding it necessary to get his side out... ever.  If he has something to say, Lord knows he's going to say it himself.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #93 on: March 31, 2013, 09:06:33 PM »
Tall, they couldn't.  With what went down, all the nonsense, they had to go outside of the department and university.  They really had no choice.

That's a good point.  It's a shame though. Mike would be great AD.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #94 on: March 31, 2013, 09:13:14 PM »
Just my opinion, but I think you're way overestimating the relationship between Buzz and his "friends."

Personally, I just can't see Buzz finding it necessary to get his side out... ever.  If he has something to say, Lord knows he's going to say it himself.

If we assume IWB didn't start lying or wildly speculating last off season (not gonna vouch for Goodman, Parrish, etc. cause I haven't followed them) then Buzz did say something to people he knows.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #95 on: March 31, 2013, 09:14:36 PM »
He didn't lie.  He just made statements that led to speculation.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #96 on: March 31, 2013, 09:15:29 PM »

Most coaches at this level have conduits and Buzz is no exception.  Buzz and Goodman are tight according to many folks.  Knight had his guy (Bob Hammel) at the Bloomington Herald as an example.

And why do you think it wouldn't be necessary to get his side out?  He may not be, but coaches do it.  It's a form of leverage.

People use wedges all the time to get what they want and the press, in this industry, is a wedge a coach has available to him.  It's a way to pit alumni, boosters, etc, against the school, administration, etc, if one wishes to go down that path.  The danger, of course, is you better be in demand and on the upswing or it falls flat.   Power shifts in an athletic department, I saw it first hand at IU with Bobby (he had all the power) and at MU.  I have friends who are AD's now.  The power a coach can yield, when they are hot, is pretty impressive.  It can put an AD in a very tough spot.  Some coaches will do so to get what they want, whether that is money, more money for assistants, more lenient admissions policies for athletes, etc. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #97 on: March 31, 2013, 09:16:03 PM »
That's a good point.  It's a shame though. Mike would be great AD.

He is young, he'll get his shot.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #98 on: March 31, 2013, 09:17:36 PM »
He is young, he'll get his shot.

That's my worry.  I don't want Marquette to lose him.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #99 on: March 31, 2013, 09:24:21 PM »
This crap every year really sucks the joy out of savoring such a wonderful season.