Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: LW on the Dodds Board  (Read 27128 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: LW on the Dodds Board
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2013, 02:41:19 PM »
Chico's

Only thing that bothers me about the link you just referenced was the guy sounds like Big Daddy from this site. His writing style and thorough attention has Big Daddy ring to me. Many on here have great respect for BD and his posts. He dos not post often, but when does most on here listen.

And if it is true, it would mean that someone is peddling that stuff out there in the public and who would that be? People here already seem to be saying Buzz peddled stuff off to IWB, so there's a history of peddling info already if that is true.

That's the irony of that guy's post over there.  He's saying that LW is trying a power play here and doing everything he can to move Buzz out behind the scenes.  Then what would he describe as someone that is putting out other information to AAU, HS coaches, etc, behind the scenes about their relationship?  Goes both ways...if it were true.

LW isn't stupid, and neither is Buzz despite the country bumpkin persona.  Charles Barkley nailed that yesterday in the pregame.  These are not stupid men. 

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2013, 02:45:51 PM »
Here is an interesting paradigm:

How can MU Athletics and the MU board make a home run hire in Buzz, and then make the world's worst hire with LW?

A LOT of people were HIGHLY critical of BW in 2008. When Mbakwe and Taylor didn't make it to campus, that only added to the fear.

Maybe take a breath and see how Larry actually performs?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2013, 02:48:05 PM »
Chico 's

I have no idea who posted that or reason behind it. Only mentioned BD because he always writes well thought posts and great attention to detail. If memory serves me he has said much of what that post has said in regards to the positive side of Buzz and his family. I would hope that no real players in a coaching saga (if this is one) would you use these types of forums to benefit their cause. Again, I am not suggesting any motives of any kind, only saying writing styles and content very similar.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2013, 02:49:49 PM »
This is such stupid gossip crap. I swear some people are middle school girls. And "that time of the month" is the entire offseason.

- Last year it was Buzz doesn't like how LW is more hands-on with the program (regarding off-court issues)... This sounds totally reasonable to me that friction would occur and that some oversight was necessary.
- During the offseason LW and MU paid him $2m in a one-time retention payment, extended his contract, and gave him $750k to hire Chew from Illinois
- We have a season with zero public off-court issues and an Elite 8
- Now Buzz doesn't like how LW never talks to him to say "good job"?

I get wanting control over your program and resources, but if Buzz can't handle LW not being his buddy (which I doubt) then let him effing move on, thats obnoxious regardless.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2013, 02:50:01 PM »
A lot of people don't necessarily like their bosses.  Just try finding a job that pays $2.8 million with a private jet and a fan base that thinks you are great.  If he finds it and walks, so be it. But he is close to making this program really big again.  There is a lot to keep him around as well.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2013, 02:50:37 PM »
All of this sh## is getting boring. If Buzz leaves for a new gig because he wants to so be it. If Buzz leaves because LW is a douche then we have a big problem. if LW is the problem then Pilarz is not far behind. LW is not his own island, he gets his marching orders from the Prez.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2013, 02:51:34 PM »
All of this sh## is getting boring. If Buzz leaves for a new gig because he wants to so be it. If Buzz leaves because LW is a douche then we have a big problem. if LW is the problem then Pilarz is not far behind. LW is not his own island, he gets his marching orders from the Prez.
if Buzz leaves because Lw is a douche then he's a thin skinned kitten... That's doesn't sound like Buzz.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Goose

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2013, 02:51:50 PM »
Guns

Solid point. I would say that I am probably numb over the topic and waiting to see what happens. Truthfully have no strong opinion about LW and do not believe the whole story, good or bad, will ever be told. Folks are two sides of the discussion and probably never will change their opinions regardless of outcome.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2013, 02:54:44 PM »
Will the board feel better once that Minnesotta job is filled?

I think that is part of the tension we are feeling on this board.  The fact that Buzz might go to  a lower profile job is scary for all of us.  Just like SMU last year, and sort of why nobody really cared about UCLA because if he took that job than it would have been no deal.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2013, 02:55:25 PM »
Buzz should be careful if he left MU because he doesn't like LW also.  That would be two jobs (New Orleans the other) where Buzz may have quit on the program because he was unhappy about something with the administration. It would be a pattern.  If Buzz ever leaves, and hopefully he never does, he would likely be at a big time program and would be in danger of a quick hook if the administration was afraid that Buzz would turn on them when things get hard.  

Buzz is in unfamiliar territory too.  He has gone from a hard worker who was trying to break into the business to a multi-millionaire and minor celebrity.  He isn't used to staying in one place and sustaining relationships.  Its easy to be cordial for a year or two at one place, but now Buzz is in a new spot where he is seeing people come and go, and he is the one staying.  

If I was Buzz, I would stay at Marquette until I retire.  But, if he doesn't want that, I would stay at Marquette and build up more credibility as a coach with the recruiting classes coming in.  Then, I would move my family one more time total.  I wouldn't want to bounce around three or four more times.  Hopefully this will all blow over and Buzz will want the challenge and opportunity of winning at MU.  Marquette seems to have almost everything he wants, so I would really question if the grass were greener anywhere else.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 02:57:36 PM by HoopsMalone »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2013, 02:58:27 PM »
Understood Goose.  As stated, I've heard about the tensions as well, but saying they haven't spoke in months is just flat wrong.  Two stubborn men, both of whom have backgrounds that are much different than the others and I truly believe that is part of what is going on here.  Buzz is a JUCO guy, so he doesn't like to hear we might want to pull back a bit on JUCOs....as an example.  Buzz loves his players and is willing to take risks with some.  That's fine.  An administrator or President of a school has to view things through a different prism because MU is a university, not a basketball pro franchise. 

All three parties want to win.  They will find common ground.  If they don't, then there will be changes.  But every time I hear about how bad the relationship is with Buzz and Larry, I have to ask who is putting that information out there?  Considering who has the relationships with those saying those things, Goodman, etc....well it's fairly obvious where that is coming from.  Not sure if stirring the pot in the media like that is going to help his cause with his bosses (the AD or President).

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2013, 03:02:42 PM »
If you look at his username, it says he has been a member since...4/3/2008

So it's Corey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2013, 03:03:03 PM »
Chico's

Completely agree with your first paragraph. The issue is probably very well started in that paragraph. I said last year the school can chose to go any direction they want to and should be able to do that. We are not a pro franchise and administration and BOT always should do what is best for the big picture.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2013, 03:36:49 PM »
Well, what if some certain influential boosters feel alienated by LW and Father P?? Then what??
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2013, 03:41:19 PM »
Well, what if some certain influential boosters feel alienated by LW and Father P?? Then what??

They can go to the Board of Trustees.  They can spend their money elsewhere.  They can start their own university.  They can work it all out like big boys and girls.

Lots of options, some realistic, some not.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2013, 03:43:37 PM »
I assume nothing is "official" on the Buzz front until we get a tweet from IWB

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2013, 03:53:25 PM »
LW needs to shut his mouth and go into hiding.  We're hearing way too much from this guy.

And some people says he doesn't say enough publicly to support Buzz.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2013, 04:23:18 PM »
Another very disturbing account of the LW/Buzz rift from "someone in the know" in the same thread on Dodd's board.  I sure would like to dismiss both of them as garbage, but there's been far too much smoke to be no flame.
No Finish Line

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2013, 04:38:41 PM »

Then Marquette will have to find new revenue streams to pay the bills.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2013, 05:01:27 PM »
Buzz should be careful if he left MU because he doesn't like LW also.  That would be two jobs (New Orleans the other) where Buzz may have quit on the program because he was unhappy about something with the administration. It would be a pattern.  If Buzz ever leaves, and hopefully he never does, he would likely be at a big time program and would be in danger of a quick hook if the administration was afraid that Buzz would turn on them when things get hard.  

Buzz is in unfamiliar territory too.  He has gone from a hard worker who was trying to break into the business to a multi-millionaire and minor celebrity.  He isn't used to staying in one place and sustaining relationships.  Its easy to be cordial for a year or two at one place, but now Buzz is in a new spot where he is seeing people come and go, and he is the one staying.  

If I was Buzz, I would stay at Marquette until I retire.  But, if he doesn't want that, I would stay at Marquette and build up more credibility as a coach with the recruiting classes coming in.  Then, I would move my family one more time total.  I wouldn't want to bounce around three or four more times.  Hopefully this will all blow over and Buzz will want the challenge and opportunity of winning at MU.  Marquette seems to have almost everything he wants, so I would really question if the grass were greener anywhere else.

Yes, good points all.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2013, 05:40:44 PM »
If Larry Williams creates discord with Buzz he should be fired, plain and simple. He needs to shut up. what in the world does he need to be talking to the media about? Honestly? anybody ever hear of Cords talking to the media? The AD job at Marquette is a joke role. The head basketball coach is not.

Losing Buzz because of some egotistical figure head AD would be catastrophic.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2013, 05:43:19 PM »
If Larry Williams creates discord with Buzz he should be fired, plain and simple. He needs to shut up. what in the world does he need to be talking to the media about? Honestly? anybody ever hear of Cords talking to the media? The AD job at Marquette is a joke role. The head basketball coach is not.

Losing Buzz because of some egotistical figure head AD would be catastrophic.

And you would stop supporting MU as you said in the past.  A double whammy.....much catastrophe

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2013, 06:54:47 PM »
Buzz and LW haven't spoken in months?  Interesting.  Well, the MU folks I know in the athletic department and other departments at the university say that is 100% bullshyte.  

From everything I've heard from AD people, Chicos is right.  This is all crap.  Buzz and Larry don't hate each other.

I'm convinced the entire situation last year was IWB's attempt to get hits to his crappy website.  Somehow it looks like an 80s website even thought the Internet wasn't around then.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2013, 07:08:42 PM »
From everything I've heard from AD people, Chicos is right.  This is all crap.  Buzz and Larry don't hate each other.

I'm convinced the entire situation last year was IWB's attempt to get hits to his crappy website.  Somehow it looks like an 80s website even thought the Internet wasn't around then.

From people who work for Larry?

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2013, 07:12:23 PM »
From people who've been there before Larry even got there.

feedback