[June 07, 2024, 09:53:13 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Herman Cain
[June 07, 2024, 09:51:11 PM]

Incoming freshmen by tower912
[June 07, 2024, 08:06:40 PM]

Ranking Big East Centers by The Equalizer
[June 07, 2024, 05:10:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Shaka to Minnesota?  (Read 1964 times)

mr.MUskie

• All American
Shaka to Minnesota?
« on: March 27, 2013, 02:23:47 AM »
That's what their board is saying...

I got off the phone with my buddy who was on his way home from work (ESPN HQ). He is telling me that there is a lot of rumblings with Shaka and Minnesota right now. Supposedly contract has been worked out for a while. It seems like Shaka wants guarantees that there will be major upgrades to facilities before he 100% commits to Minnesota. At this point he said the deal is pretty much done and we should hope the facilities promise comes through. If that happens Shaka Smart will be the Gophers HC. Will know a lot more in the morning when he gets back to work.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Shaka to Minnesota?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 02:26:02 AM »
Minnesota's AD was VCU's AD when Smart was there, so there is a history.  Still, that would be quite a get for Minnesota if they pulled that off.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 07:15:00 AM »
That's what their board is saying...

I got off the phone with my buddy who was on his way home from work (ESPN HQ). He is telling me that there is a lot of rumblings with Shaka and Minnesota right now. Supposedly contract has been worked out for a while. It seems like Shaka wants guarantees that there will be major upgrades to facilities before he 100% commits to Minnesota. At this point he said the deal is pretty much done and we should hope the facilities promise comes through. If that happens Shaka Smart will be the Gophers HC. Will know a lot more in the morning when he gets back to work.

There was word that Shaka was working on an extension with VCU. Could just be a negotiating ploy.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 07:30:26 AM »
Would be great hire by Minnesota. Game is different today and I do not think there is a great deal of difference in terms of quality of job anymore. Twenty years ago getting a new practice facility was major deal, today the school's have ability to upgrade quickly. I never would dismiss a major university as a bad job. There might be better jobs, but any school with deep pockets can be a good job quickly.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 07:58:37 AM »
Would be great hire by Minnesota. Game is different today and I do not think there is a great deal of difference in terms of quality of job anymore. Twenty years ago getting a new practice facility was major deal, today the school's have ability to upgrade quickly. I never would dismiss a major university as a bad job. There might be better jobs, but any school with deep pockets can be a good job quickly.

Quality of the job is in the eye of the beholder. Some coaches may like the challenge of turning a program around and if they do they are icons. Other coaches may like a ready made situation that has had success in the past. Still others may like to be close to home or at an alma mater.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 08:53:43 AM »
After they just got done running Tubby out of town.  I would wager no.  No one who is anyone wants that job.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 08:59:11 AM »
From Sunday (before the announcement of Tubby being gone) - Shaka Smart & the Minnesota Gophers - why it works.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.