[Today at 08:59:12 PM]

Hurley staying! by NCMUFan
[Today at 04:46:28 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[Today at 04:22:26 PM]

2024 Scoop Art Competition by Skatastrophy
[Today at 09:53:42 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: "Warriors" A Unique Brand  (Read 10630 times)

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: "Warriors" A Unique Brand
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2013, 11:20:47 AM »
Well, I graduated in '91, and to this day I have never bought anything with the eagle logo on it - and I know a lot of my classmates don't buy anything with Golden Eagles on it also. My kids all call the team the Warriors, and I still have some Warriors sweatshirts and t-shirts from back in the day (although only one of them has the Indian head logo). Now, if we went back to the Warriors and kept the eagle mascot and logo, I'd have no problem with that and would not filter what I buy in the Spirit Shop to avoid the eagle.

This is pretty close to what we do, and I highlighted the part in bold for emphasis. We don't buy anything with the chicken on it.

We only have one piece of Warrior clothing, however. It's a sweet onesee for the littlest that was handed down to us by hilltopper.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2013, 11:23:51 AM »
Call me a skeptic, but the whole "Gold" thing in my opinion was somebody trying to take a page from the New Coke playbook, i.e. a publicity stunt.

I think it was the BOT being out of town stupid and another example of MU being unoriginal. In 2004 Syracuse changed their nickname to just "Orange" from "Orangemen".
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 11:44:23 AM by Blue Horseshoe »

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2013, 11:39:43 AM »
Still don't know why we at least didn't go back to Hilltoppers rather selecting a new name with no connection to the school at all.  Will still never buy any merchandise with GE on it.

caltruda

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2013, 01:01:14 PM »
As a '94 grad and admittedly one of those who has the "vitriolic" response to anything with a Golden Eagle on it, I'm ok with the MU logo being stamped on everything as opposed to GE, though I think there's been a more subtle push with the basketball gear having "Golden Eagles" in print and I refrain from buying those as well.

I still bristle about the whole name change because it was essentially unilaterally done by DiUlio, the "vote" taken during my senior week between GE and Lightning was a farce and the Gold fiasco was so fascinatingly tone-deaf it made me wonder if the school understood the concept of public relations.

While I concede the thought of the Native American imagery of "Warriors" as it pertains to Marquette is hard to overcome, I also find it difficult to believe the school could not produce an image it could stand behind while retaining the nickname. If it could create the MU logo that all media use for graphics, it could also do so here.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2013, 01:04:57 PM »
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CcrEl_r8xEE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Gold?

(Can someone fix my embedding?)

🏀

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2013, 01:17:58 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/CcrEl_r8xEE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/CcrEl_r8xEE</a>

The Gold?

(Can someone fix my embedding?)

You were WAY off.

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2013, 03:50:10 PM »
I think the best thing to do would be to bring back the Warriors name and keep the eagle mascot. If Marquette is worried about people showing up at games with the old Indian head logo, offer an exchange program at the Spirit Shop where you can turn in an old t-shirt or sweatshirt, hat or flag or whatever and get a new one in return with the new Warrior/eagle combo.

Just name the eagle "warrior" and be done with it!

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2013, 04:00:50 PM »

MU72491

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2013, 04:05:28 PM »
Marquette warriors is a sweet name by we're the golden eagles now and I love it. So excited for Thursday and think Marquette has a good shot at winning and maybe Syracuse pulls the upset to.  Don't want to get to far ahead of my self but with an amazing recruiting class coming in its a great time to be a Marquette fan

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2013, 04:14:08 PM »

Shouldn't we take the indian off the marquette seal too?   Or is that not offensive?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2013, 04:16:14 PM »
Shouldn't we take the indian off the marquette seal too?   Or is that not offensive?

Actually, some people argued for that during the 2005 fiasco. I remember hearing it in one of the focus groups.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2013, 04:26:26 PM »
Actually, some people argued for that during the 2005 fiasco. I remember hearing it in one of the focus groups.

Political correctness is a disease.   

Good! get it off, lets just forget native americans existed.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2013, 04:57:48 PM »
...and let's also just forget why Pere Marquette was in this area.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 05:26:56 PM by Blue Horseshoe »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2013, 07:31:45 PM »
Call me a skeptic, but the whole "Gold" thing in my opinion was somebody trying to take a page from the New Coke playbook, i.e. a publicity stunt.

Thank goodness we got rid of that tool.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"