collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Coaching Hires  (Read 1414 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Coaching Hires
« on: March 25, 2013, 04:14:28 PM »
Has anyone seen a study of track record of promoted assistants to Head Coach over hiring established coaches from other schools?  It seems nowhere in the UCLA, USC and Minn discussion is promoting an assistant.  In reality that often makes more sense.

I get that the sports media is too lazy or dumb to actually get to know the assistants available.  Because if they did, I'd be more concerned about Chew leaving MU for a head job than Buzz.

Thoughts?

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Coaching Hires
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 04:18:00 PM »
Has anyone seen a study of track record of promoted assistants to Head Coach over hiring established coaches from other schools?  It seems nowhere in the UCLA, USC and Minn discussion is promoting an assistant.  In reality that often makes more sense.

I get that the sports media is too lazy or dumb to actually get to know the assistants available.  Because if they did, I'd be more concerned about Chew leaving MU for a head job than Buzz.

Thoughts?

That's not going to happen when you're firing a head coach.
I mean, if you're firing the head coach, isn't that an indictment of his entire staff? And, if so, why would you want to not only keep a member of that staff around, but promote him?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 04:25:42 PM »
That's not going to happen when you're firing a head coach.
I mean, if you're firing the head coach, isn't that an indictment of his entire staff? And, if so, why would you want to not only keep a member of that staff around, but promote him?

Assistant from another school?

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 04:35:38 PM »
usually just having a rigid philosophy of "just hire the assistant" or "go for the name guy" isn't the best way to start a search/plan for the future.    I don't think it's as easy as just handing over the keys.  There's enough evidence that the assistant hire doesn't always work out...even in our history.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 04:39:05 PM »

Thoughts?

You're correct - the traditional media is too lazy or dumb to think that much. It's far easier to pick out a hot name like Buzz Williams & do a little cut and paste.

The traditional media's projections about not only team performances, coaching services, etc. are routinely far off base and later proven wrong. However, rarely do people go back and grade people on their projections.

Therefore, this type of behavior continues. Not many people really care about the truth or facts. That's the truth.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 04:43:34 PM »
Assistant from another school?

For these "elite" level programs they typically steal proven head coaches from other programs.  The next tier usually take assistants from their or other programs so they can then prove themselves.  If you look at MU, the last coaches were up and coming assistants.  A lot as to do with money as those schools typically pay the buyout for the head coaches they steal.

If you look at the blue bloods who did they get last
Crean from MU to Indiana
Howland from Pitt to UCLA
Calipari from Memphis to Kentucky
Williams from Kansas to North Carolina
Self from Illinois to Kansas

I would not be surprised if Minnesota goes after a big name coach who has fallen from another program which could include Howland.  That seems to be a fairly common practice for middle of the road BCS.

feedback