[Today at 10:23:42 PM]

Hurley staying! by NCMUFan
[Today at 04:46:28 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[Today at 04:22:26 PM]

2024 Scoop Art Competition by Skatastrophy
[Today at 09:53:42 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Sour grapes on Davidson board  (Read 24828 times)

warriors1991

• Team Captain
Re: Sour grapes on Davidson board
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2013, 06:10:28 PM »
He was out before he touched it.  At least I think he was.  Thats my entire point.

Doesn't matter. Once the ball is inbounded, the only place a ball can be placed is where it WENT out of bounds. What you're referring to ONLY applies to the inbound pass.

M@RQUETTEW@RRIORS

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2013, 06:12:07 PM »
Ummmm.......if you're referring to the play where the ball went out of bounds with 6 seconds left to give us the ball for Vander's winning shot, you must have not seen the play correctly.....what you're saying only applies when the ball is thrown directly from an in bounds pass all the way out of bounds.
The ball had already been inbounded and passed back to the inbounder; the dude was standing in the lane when he tossed the ball OB, it was the third pass of the possession. So the ball doesn't go back to the baseline because that's not where the pass came from.
I'm sure Davidson is at least happy you weren't reffing that game!  ;D

Wrong.

It doesnt matter how many people posess the ball.  Its where the last player posesses the ball in bounds that matters.  You cant throw the ball from "in bounds"  in your defensive lane and all the way out of bounds to the other end of the court. The inbound does not go all the way to where it goes out of bounds.  It goes to where it was last touched "in bounds".

tower912

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2013, 06:13:33 PM »
It goes to where it went out of bounds.     The only time it doesn't is on the in-bounds, when it is thrown out somewhere else without being touched.    If the ball is ever touched inbounds, then where it goes out is where the next play starts.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

warriors1991

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2013, 06:17:47 PM »
Wrong.

It doesnt matter how many people posess the ball.  Its where the last player posesses the ball in bounds that matters.  You cant throw the ball from "in bounds"  in your defensive lane and all the way out of bounds to the other end of the court. The inbound does not go all the way to where it goes out of bounds.  It goes to where it was last touched "in bounds".

I promise you that you are absolutely incorrect. Once the ball is inbounded all that matters is where the ball goes out. The ball wasn't "out" until the dude standing OUT OF BOUNDS touched the ball. Until he touched it, it was still a live ball.

If I have the ball standing at the top of the key, turn around, face the other end of the court, and whip the ball all the way over their basket, you're saying they get the ball at my top of the key extended? No. They get it under their basket, that's where a 'live' ball went out of bounds. The only ball that's returned to the spot where it was thrown is a 'dead' ball and that ONLY applies to the inbounds pass.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2013, 06:22:59 PM »
It goes to where it went out of bounds.     The only time it doesn't is on the in-bounds, when it is thrown out somewhere else without being touched.    If the ball is ever touched inbounds, then where it goes out is where the next play starts.

This is correct. No different than if the Davidson player stepped out on his own. MU ball at the point it goes out of bounds.
We Are Marquette

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2013, 06:25:10 PM »
Marquette didn't win; Davidson lost.

Marquette is unbelievably, historically lucky to escape with a win.
Mu had more points at the end, therefore they won.
pretty sure it was Marquette players hitting those 3s at the end and making a clutch drive. Did you feel the same way in 77 after the NC charlotte game.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2013, 06:26:24 PM »
Wrong.

Obviously you're not a golfer.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2013, 06:26:42 PM »
MU has been unbelievably, historicall UN-lucky in the past.    MU had to live with those, MU can live with this.  

Revenge for Brook effing Lopez

M@RQUETTEW@RRIORS

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2013, 06:32:07 PM »
This is correct. No different than if the Davidson player stepped out on his own. MU ball at the point it goes out of bounds.

You are correct.  Lost my head during all the excitement.   :-[

MUFlutieEffect

• Team Captain
    • The Flutie Effect
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2013, 06:37:10 PM »
I hate to be the guy to post this, as I think anyone invested in Marquette Basketball enough to be on this board can relate to this poster's emotions.  On the other hand, it's hard not to find this a bit overly sappy...

"My stomach dropped as the buzzer sounded. No words would come from my mouth. How could it be that just seconds ago we were jumping up and down, yelling, high fiving, hugging, talking about flights to the next game? Emotions were high, and all of the positive energy imploded in that instant. There was silence.

So many things that should have happened didn’t. First and foremost, a 14 seed should not have given a 3 seed a run like that. But that 14 seed, that 14 seed with the best free throw shooting percentage in the country, with the best free throw shooter in the country, with the longest winning streak in the country, that 14 seed should have had that game. That 14 seed should have made those free throws. That 14 seed should have placed the patiently paced, physical game that they play best. That 14 seed should not have taken chances.

They wanted it so bad. We wanted it so bad. For them. For us.
Instead of going to work tomorrow, we should all have been heading to Kentucky – or trying to figure out how we were going to get there – to cheer on the school that made us what we are today and the team that showed the nation what we were about.

The cruelty of feeling the same emotions we felt five years ago in Raleigh, where we were given a chance to show the nation who we, Davidson, were, and then having that jubilant exuberance stripped away, is too much. The pressure felt by a group of young adult men in red uniforms preparing to enter the real world may have been too much, too.

But, oh, how I wanted to feel it again. To be able to call my father and know that Davison had done it again, just as they had last done it during my Junior year five years ago and before that when he was in school there. To know that feeling and have that bond with not only my own family, but also the Davidson community around me, and spreading into the community at large. They would join us in solidarity and boost our spirit and cheer for us and want us to win. And we would all be in it together. Cinderella.

If not for one play. Or two. Who can really tell at this point, anyway?
Still standing there stunned, empty, feeling dampness beginning to blur my vision, I could not think. If only. If only what?

And then, in spite of the moisture beginning to overflow and dampen my eyelashes as I walk home blindly, a small smile crossed my lips. Maybe – just maybe – the next time will be when my children go to school at Davidson. Then we, like my father and I, will be able to share an experience unlike any other. An experience that can be matched by nothing else and that no one can take away. I say it, even tearfully so. It’s a great day to be a Wildcat."

http://www.davidsoncats.com/viewtopic.php?t=17396&start=0
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 06:42:26 PM by mu_hilltopper »
The Flutie Effect: "A significant and positive correlation between a university having a successful team and higher quality of incoming freshmen, alumni donations, and graduation rates."

- The Economist, January 3rd, 2007

RyanConroy

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2013, 06:40:54 PM »
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 07:31:42 PM by MUStudent »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2013, 06:43:24 PM »
What?  That was a douchey response.  

MU has been in their position a dozen times.  We know that pain.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2013, 06:46:08 PM »
"I'd rather lose playing basketball than win playing Big East garbage Thugball."

Well, they got their wish.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2013, 06:51:43 PM »
lol exactly
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2013, 06:53:22 PM »

Sure that quote wasn't from the UW board?

muwarrior97

• All American
  • CALVACADE OF BRICKS
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2013, 06:53:29 PM »
Davidson peed down there leg, never should have lost that game
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2013, 07:11:24 PM »
Mu had more points at the end, therefore they won.
pretty sure it was Marquette players hitting those 3s at the end and making a clutch drive. Did you feel the same way in 77 after the NC charlotte game.

No. I was two years old in 1977.

If not for Davidson's crucial, unexpected error, Marquette doesn't have a chance for Vander's heroics. I'm not taking anything from Vander or Jamil's absolutely clutch shooting.

It's just that a solid, fundamental team like Davidson rarely gives up the ball in a key situation. That error had more to do with the outcome than any of Marquette's great plays.
We Are Marquette

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2013, 07:15:35 PM »

If not for Davidson's crucial, unexpected error, Marquette doesn't have a chance for Vander's heroics. I'm not taking anything from Vander or Jamil's absolutely clutch shooting.

It's just that a solid, fundamental team like Davidson rarely gives up the ball in a key situation. That error had more to do with the outcome than any of Marquette's great plays.
You've made everyone feel less good about our team's win. Any other points you'd like to make to this effect or willing to drop it?
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2013, 07:17:00 PM »
Davidson peed down there leg, never should have lost that game

"We're lucky to still be standing"
-Buzz Williams, March 21, 2013

I appreciate his honesty.  On to Butler

tower912

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2013, 07:18:28 PM »

MU made its own luck.    It made the big shots down the stretch.   Buzz made the coaching decision to not foul in the last two minutes.   They executed a really good trap on the passer and he made a bad pass due to the defensive pressure.    Davidson missed some shots, but MU capitalized.     MU won it more than Davidson lost it.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2013, 07:22:14 PM »
You've made everyone feel less good about our team's win. Any other points you'd like to make to this effect or willing to drop it?

Final point is I'm happy and proud of Marquette's play to close the game.

Only you can make you less happy.

I'm proud of Marquette. Thrilled in fact. But like Buzz said we are lucky to still be standing.
We Are Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2013, 07:23:18 PM »

I'm proud of Marquette. Thrilled in fact. But like Buzz said we are lucky to still be standing.

Amen brother

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2013, 07:23:39 PM »

As long as you are happy (done with making your "point"), I'm happy.

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2013, 07:25:13 PM »
Marquette didn't win; Davidson lost.

Marquette is unbelievably, historically lucky to escape with a win.

Sorry, Marquette won the game, Davidson did not lose it. MU hit 3 contested 3s in a row, dove and fought for loose balls, hit several key freethrows and pressured Davidson in to a bad pass. Davidson made very few mistakes down the stretch and actually played well enough to win.  MU just outplayed them the last few minutes.

MU31

• Walk-On
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2013, 07:32:25 PM »
Sometimes it's a game of luck. For as much talk as there was about Davidson being "experienced" they didn't show it on the big stage, Marquette gave them plenty of chances, but they didn't show the poise or make free throws per their own standards. Marquette looked liked they've been there before.

feedback