* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by MUDPT
[Today at 11:36:04 AM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 09:27:42 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by HutchwasClutch
[June 01, 2024, 07:03:02 PM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[June 01, 2024, 11:08:53 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[May 31, 2024, 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I really believe MU is going to the Final Four...  (Read 8865 times)

muguru

• All American
I really believe MU is going to the Final Four...
« on: March 19, 2013, 01:15:59 PM »
Just have a gut feeling. Their draw is favorable. I know everyone fears Miami, and I'm not sure why?? First of all, Colorado very well could beat them in round 2. Even if they don't, something everyone is overlooking with this Miami team(that is REALLY important come tourney time), is they have a grand total of 0 players that have played in the NCAA tournament, let alone a Sweet 16 game(where MU would play them) and at that point, experience does matter. The nerves get worse, the mistakes become more etc etc.  This MU team has been there twice. They know how to handle it.

Let's assume they meet "it's Indiana, it's Indiana" for the right to go to the Final Four...Davante and Chris would have a field day with Zeller down low as far as moving him off the block and getting him out of position. They are also only average at best defensively. I think Vander could contain Oladipo.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MarquetteDano

• All American
Re: I really believe MU is going to the Final Four...
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 01:27:01 PM »
Man I hope you are right.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 01:29:50 PM »
You aren't necessarily wrong.   But you aren't necessarily right either.    I think Syracuse beats IU.   The question, as always, is which MU team shows up.    If MU takes it's home mojo on the road, you could be right.    Even one game where MU is passive and you are wrong.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 01:30:03 PM »
Ballsy pick.  I would be stunned, but hope you are right. 

chapman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 01:31:07 PM »
Another thing with Miami - they've lost at home to #149 Georgia Tech and at #170 Wake Forest in the past month.  They can have a stinker from time to time, and now one is all it takes to go home.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 01:33:06 PM »
Brains vs. Guts. That's always the case picking a homer.

Even in '03, I didn't have us in the final four. Had us losing to UK. W/no real juggernaut in this year's NCAA, yes, MU could very well make it. They could also hit a hot 3-pt shooting team in round one. Just win one game at a time and hope for the best. It's so cliche but in the tourney that's all the counts.

MU barely beat H.Cross and look what happened. I always look back at the Tyus Edney length-of-the-court drive for UCLA to win, and Florida's last second win over Xavier (I think) in round one...both years that each team ended up winning the whole thing. You just never know...which is what makes this week so anxiety ridden.

Personally, if MU can win in round 1, everything else is gravy after that for me, based on how this team has performed. A Sweet 16 would be awesome and give me one more excellent week of hoops to be a fan.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 01:35:02 PM »
I want what your smoking or drinking, muguru!! Love the optimistic attitude.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 01:44:12 PM »
Another thing with Miami - they've lost at home to #149 Georgia Tech and at #170 Wake Forest in the past month.  They can have a stinker from time to time, and now one is all it takes to go home.

The issue with Miami is that they can score from anywhere.  If they are rolling, they can be very hard to stop.  The exact type of team that gives MU fits.

JD

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 01:46:48 PM »
Guru, i know what you mean.  I filled out two brackets, and every time i have a hard time putting a team ahead of Marquette.  I know what they're capable of and what other teams are at the same time.  Miami is weak, look at their losses, they have more than just one bad one to UWGB like MU.  Butler, very beatable, Cuse, haven't we already beat them?

In my two brackets i have Syracuse beating MU to get to the FF.  I'm with guru, it's not out of line to think there is no chance to make a final four.  Just because this is our weakest team in recent memory doesn't justify them not making it.  The whole basketball nation is vulnerable, and looking at our bracket, i too will drink the MU Kool-Aid.
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 01:48:37 PM »
Love it - MU in the FF in my bracket, too
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 01:49:16 PM »
I love your positive energy. Keep it up.

Ring Out Ahoya!
We Are Marquette

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 01:54:11 PM »
Just have a gut feeling. Their draw is favorable. I know everyone fears Miami, and I'm not sure why?? First of all, Colorado very well could beat them in round 2. Even if they don't, something everyone is overlooking with this Miami team(that is REALLY important come tourney time), is they have a grand total of 0 players that have played in the NCAA tournament, let alone a Sweet 16 game(where MU would play them) and at that point, experience does matter. The nerves get worse, the mistakes become more etc etc.  This MU team has been there twice. They know how to handle it.

Let's assume they meet "it's Indiana, it's Indiana" for the right to go to the Final Four...Davante and Chris would have a field day with Zeller down low as far as moving him off the block and getting him out of position. They are also only average at best defensively. I think Vander could contain Oladipo.

Holy ****.. are you kidding? I have no problem with anyone believing MU will go to the final four. I do, however, have a problem with you believing it. You started so many threads and made so many posts crapping on this team and their abilities. Unless you seriously think every other team we would play on our way there is awful, I don't believe you can have any faith in this team/players/coach because you've never demonstrated any.

4th and State

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 01:58:21 PM »
Guru, i know what you mean.  I filled out two brackets, and every time i have a hard time putting a team ahead of Marquette.  I know what they're capable of and what other teams are at the same time.  Miami is weak, look at their losses, they have more than just one bad one to UWGB like MU.  Butler, very beatable, Cuse, haven't we already beat them?

In my two brackets i have Syracuse beating MU to get to the FF.  I'm with guru, it's not out of line to think there is no chance to make a final four.  Just because this is our weakest team in recent memory doesn't justify them not making it. The whole basketball nation is vulnerable, and looking at our bracket, i too will drink the MU Kool-Aid.

You really think this is our weakest team in recent memory?  Last years team was better, absolutely, but other than that...

JD

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 02:05:05 PM »
You really think this is our weakest team in recent memory?  Last years team was better, absolutely, but other than that...

Post 2003 i don't think there are many.  Yes, some might have gotten bounced earlier, but i think this isn't one of the strongest in the past 10 years..  Every year, except this year, we usually had one or two guys we knew would come through no matter what.  This is the first team that there is no superstar on it.  I think when it comes to raw "talent" this would be probably the 2nd or 3rd to last team i'd chose in the past 10 years.
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

4th and State

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2013, 02:15:39 PM »
Post 2003 i don't think there are many.  Yes, some might have gotten bounced earlier, but i think this isn't one of the strongest in the past 10 years..  Every year, except this year, we usually had one or two guys we knew would come through no matter what.  This is the first team that there is no superstar on it.  I think when it comes to raw "talent" this would be probably the 2nd or 3rd to last team i'd chose in the past 10 years.

I can't speak to much before 2008 as that is when I really started to follow MU, but as far as talent is concerned I think this team has as much talent (athletic ability) as any team since 2008.  From top to bottom we have more talent than in years past.  To your point on having a "go-to" guy...we don't really have one, though one could argue Blue, Gardner, and Jamil have all shown the ability to so at any point in time.

I'm curious as to what you are using to define "talent" because when I look at this roster even compared to last years team I think it's more athletic.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2013, 02:17:55 PM »
What's Brew predicting?
Have some patience, FFS.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2013, 02:27:35 PM »
I hope we go to the final 4.....believing it is another matter.

If you really believe it you can get some pretty good odds from vegas......my guess is you won't be betting any significant money on it which means you are in the hope category as well.......

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2013, 02:30:40 PM »
I agree that we can go to the final four!  We need our A team, A game and A coaching and need to shoot well from outside and finish on the inside and may the big official up above be watching!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2013, 02:31:45 PM »
Only roadblock to the FF is Davidson.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2013, 02:45:19 PM »

Wow.  2nd or third worst over the last 10 years?  That doesn't even include the Final Four team, but I'll go ahead and do that for you.  I'd rank 2003 and beyond roster makeup like this:

1.) 2003
2.) 2012 with Otule
3.) 2012 without Otule
4.) 2009 with DJ
5.) 2013
6.) 2011
7.) 2009 without DJ
8.) 2008
9.) 2006
10.) 2007 with McNeal
11.) 2010
12.) 2005 with Diener
13.) 2007 without McNeal
14.) 2004
15.) 2004 without Diener

4th overall opening day roster out of the past 11 years in terms of talent.  We have 5 four stars and a bunch of high three stars, not to mention depth at every position INCLUDING (very importantly, IMO, two true centers).  You don't win the Big East conference without raw talent.  Definitely not the second or third worst.  This team would manhandle 2004 & 2005, and it's depth/height would often be too much for the 2007 & 2008 rosters.  We can't shoot threes, but the narrative that this team lacks talent is a joke.  Next year has a chance to be #1 on this list if every key player stays, Blue, Steve Taylor, and JWilson improve on a normal curve, and we can get some needed three point shooting from one or two of the newcomers which I'm confident we will.... this year has been fun but next year could be badass.  And I don't use that term loosely.

JD

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2013, 02:47:03 PM »
I can't speak to much before 2008 as that is when I really started to follow MU, but as far as talent is concerned I think this team has as much talent (athletic ability) as any team since 2008.  From top to bottom we have more talent than in years past.  To your point on having a "go-to" guy...we don't really have one, though one could argue Blue, Gardner, and Jamil have all shown the ability to so at any point in time.

I'm curious as to what you are using to define "talent" because when I look at this roster even compared to last years team I think it's more athletic.

Well, if you compare those 3 guys, (Blue, Gardner, Wilson)

I'd say we had Wade, Diener, Novak

McNeal, Matthews, James

Hayward, Butler

DJO, Crowder

And a mix in between those years with some of them combined.

I'm not saying this team doesn't have talent, i'm simply comparing the past teams to this one.  If some of you don't agree, that's fine.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 02:52:43 PM by JDuquaine »

AL

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2013, 02:47:47 PM »
2013-2014 = BADASS !
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2013, 02:53:58 PM »
Well, if you compare those 3 guys, (Blue, Gardner, Wilson)

I'd say we had Wade, Diener, Novak

McNeal, Matthews, James

Hayward, Butler

DJO, Crowder

And a mix in between those years with some of them combined.

So players 3-10 on a roster don't even enter the equation?  Centers don't matter?  Got it.

JD

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2013, 02:59:18 PM »
Wow.  2nd or third worst over the last 10 years?  That doesn't even include the Final Four team, but I'll go ahead and do that for you.  I'd rank 2003 and beyond roster makeup like this:

1.) 2003
2.) 2012 with Otule
3.) 2012 without Otule
4.) 2009 with DJ
5.) 2013
6.) 2011
7.) 2009 without DJ
8.) 2008
9.) 2006
10.) 2007 with McNeal
11.) 2010
12.) 2005 with Diener
13.) 2007 without McNeal
14.) 2004
15.) 2004 without Diener

4th overall opening day roster out of the past 11 years in terms of talent.  We have 5 four stars and a bunch of high three stars, not to mention depth at every position INCLUDING (very importantly, IMO, two true centers).  You don't win the Big East conference without raw talent.  Definitely not the second or third worst.  This team would manhandle 2004 & 2005, and it's depth/height would often be too much for the 2007 & 2008 rosters.  We can't shoot threes, but the narrative that this team lacks talent is a joke.  Next year has a chance to be #1 on this list if every key player stays, Blue, Steve Taylor, and JWilson improve on a normal curve, and we can get some needed three point shooting from one or two of the newcomers which I'm confident we will.... this year has been fun but next year could be badass.  And I don't use that term loosely.

In short, i'd love to see the past teams with Diener, James, McNeal against Cadougan.  I think we all know what would happen. Also, who covers Jae, Jimmy or Zar?

I believe 3/4 of our teams the past 10 years would beat this years.  Also the big east this year is nothing compared to previous years.  I'm not down playing what this team has done, simply stating i don't believe its our best  when you talk about talent, or athleticism

AL

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2013, 03:14:20 PM »
guru, if they make it, the bar is now set for flaunting and taunting.   If  this blessed event occures, bring your 'A' game. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.