[June 08, 2024, 07:03:51 PM]

And The New...... by Tyler COLEk
[June 08, 2024, 11:45:55 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Herman Cain
[June 08, 2024, 11:31:50 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MuggsyB
[June 08, 2024, 10:56:27 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Boy if you thought Providence and Seton Hall were bad before.....  (Read 14951 times)

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
Re: Boy if you thought Providence and Seton Hall were bad before.....
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2013, 07:19:33 PM »
Then just wait till their coaches can no longer promise potential recruits playing time against big stage opponents like Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt, ND, West Virginia, etc..    ::) ?-(  I got sick of counting all the prime empty seats when watching MU play Seton Hall this year and can only imagine how many empty seats there will be when they can only sign 1 and 2 star recruits when dogs like Creighton, Xavier, Dayton and St. Louis are added as "replacements" to the ticket buying public. 

Well unfortunately the board boobs that populate and try to dominate the thinking of this site and say Detroit Mercy would be an exciting potential addition with a straight face aren't as clueless as the rest the US population where more than 50% of them acknowledge the new conference (see attached) will be considered mid-major or worse.  That is especially scary in that over 50% of the population was dumb enough to vote for Obama twice so were not talking about a very savvy pubic. 

Smart "mid-major" retailers like the "Limited" used to sign leases in sub-tenant locations with major anchors in place knowing the major anchors like Nordstrom, for example, would draw in tenants to the mall and they in turn would feed off the anchor's superior advertising and branding capabilities.  So instead of keeping close to these big football/state "anchor" type of schools like UConn, Cincy, with a history of Final 4's and McDonald All American's, etc. our AD and our board shun even the idea of having them for a couple more years so we can add more worthless mid-majors that will ensure the ultimate demise of MU Basketball back to it's sad late 1980's status. 

Why don't we just let Buzz go to the next major Big 4 conference job, let our star recruits out of their letters of intent and hire Brian Wardle and be prepared for a move back to the Mecca with close losses to UW-Milwaukee already.  The Big 4 conferences will soon shun the NCAA and create their own National Championship for basketball and we'll be completely left out so we might as well be resigned to our fate sooner than later. 

Such a shame as it was so much fun playing in the real Big East (AKA - The Beast) and now we will be left to a bunch of other teams with a fading star who won't be able to attract and retain the brightest coaches and players like they did in the past. Poor leadership and changes in the college basketball landscape that were out of our control are the two primary culprits to this sickening and sad ultimate demise.   

Does this guy know how to party or what!?!?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2013, 07:21:42 PM »
MU, Nova and Georgetown will be very good next year.  Providence get Ricky Ledo and a great returning bunch...they are on the bubble this season. Butler may be a bit down next but has a good class coming in. Xavier returns a lot. Creighton is in the big dance and may have McDermott back to play on a more national stage with his dad in Year 1. St. John's returns everyone on a NIT team.

This year, up to six NCAA teams out of 10. Next year, perhaps the same.  

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2013, 07:35:10 PM »
Our new conference will be solid but no way is it anywhere near as good as the old Big East. We were very fortunate to have been part of the best hoops conference in the modern era. The new Big East is not in any way a mid major and should be extremely competitive. I remain concerned about PC, SHU, DePaul, and SJU upping their game. 40% of our new conference behave as mid majors.

I can agree with this, but most conferences have crapty team at the bottom. In fact, all of them do. This will be a top 5 conference year in and year out, and in the top 3 most years. Is that the Old Beast? No. But it is still pretty damn good.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2013, 07:44:38 PM »
So, Guru, please list a preferred alternative. 

I would have liked to see UCONN, Cincy, Memphis and Temple at least approached about the idea of joining. Please, spare me the "no more football" refrain. They could park their FB elsewhere, then it's like they don't have football.

They aren't going to any major conference...no one wants those FB programs, and besides, you make them sign a grant of rights and make it a moot point. I also wanted to see Gonzaga. Geography be damned in their case. It's not like you are going there more than once a year. Bite the bullet and do it. The value they could have brought to the conference would have been immeasurable to me.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2013, 07:49:05 PM »
I can agree with this, but most conferences have crapty team at the bottom. In fact, all of them do. This will be a top 5 conference year in and year out, and in the top 3 most years. Is that the Old Beast? No. But it is still pretty damn good.

That's true. But in the Big Ten, the teams on the bottom have their seasons. Iowa, Minnesota, Purdue and even Northwestern have been competitive every few years. Almost half of our teams have not been goof for decades. I would like to see the bottom 4 be competitive from time to time.

Death on call

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2013, 08:07:06 PM »
I would have liked to see UCONN, Cincy, Memphis and Temple at least approached about the idea of joining. Please, spare me the "no more football" refrain. They could park their FB elsewhere, then it's like they don't have football.

They aren't going to any major conference...no one wants those FB programs, and besides, you make them sign a grant of rights and make it a moot point. I also wanted to see Gonzaga. Geography be damned in their case. It's not like you are going there more than once a year. Bite the bullet and do it. The value they could have brought to the conference would have been immeasurable to me.

Agreed.  However, it seems to me that these schools have this fantastical idea that they will rise up and rival the SEC or at least mimic the financial success that it has had from having a football-first mindset.  I wish these schools would relegate their football to the MAC and realize the gains from specialization that await them in basketball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2013, 08:08:37 PM »
No, it's not you a$$wipe.

Welp, I think you are lying....and if I'm wrong you aren't getting an apology.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2013, 08:10:03 PM »
That's true. But in the Big Ten, the teams on the bottom have their seasons. Iowa, Minnesota, Purdue and even Northwestern have been competitive every few years. Almost half of our teams have not been goof for decades. I would like to see the bottom 4 be competitive from time to time.

Cooley is a winner and he's from Providence and I think he will stay there for a while and get that program going in the right direction.  Saint John's is young and talented and Lavin can recruit.  Assuming he stays healthy, I think they will be good for a while.  MU, Nova, Georgetown, Butler and Xavier are consistently very good.  It's really just Seton Hall and DePaul that appear to be weak for the foreseeable future.

Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2013, 08:10:19 PM »

Welp, I think you are lying....and if I'm wrong you aren't getting an apology.

What a tough guy. Crawl back into your hole. Bullies are nothing more than cowards.

Death on call

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2013, 08:20:50 PM »
Break it up. 

.. is DePaul a mid-major?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2013, 08:24:04 PM »
Cooley is a winner and he's from Providence and I think he will stay there for a while and get that program going in the right direction.  Saint John's is young and talented and Lavin can recruit.  Assuming he stays healthy, I think they will be good for a while.  MU, Nova, Georgetown, Butler and Xavier are consistently very good.  It's really just Seton Hall and DePaul that appear to be weak for the foreseeable future.

I am optimistic about SJU and PC and am hoping Purnell can pull it off, despite his boss. SHU doesn't seem to be in the game at all, however.

Death on call

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2013, 08:33:56 PM »
What a tough guy. Crawl back into your hole. Bullies are nothing more than cowards.

Can you guys just agree to meet up at the bike racks after school and settle this like fourth graders?

Norm

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2013, 08:52:51 PM »
This is the link

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/post/_/id/9032205/brighter-future-big-east-divorce

If you look at the second poll, and answer that one, the fans believe the left over Big East (America 12) will be a high major conference.

This is a classic example of the dumbing down of America and the low information voter.  They don't even know who is in the leagues, simple as that.

As of SUnday, 9:45pm EDT:

How will the Catholic 7 Big East rate as a basketball conference:
34% Major Power Conference
50% High-Level Mid-Major Conference
16% Low-Level Mid-Major Conference
(3,765 votes)

How will the Big East's football holdovers rate as a basketball conference?
12% Major Power Conference
46% High-Level Mid-Major Conference
42% Low-Level Mid-Major Conference
(3,403 votes)

To which conference will the Big East football holdovers most closely compare?
25% ACC
39% MWC
24% MAC
12% Sun Belt
(3,265 votes)

Which league from the Big East's breakup has a brighter long-term future?
74% Catholic 7 Big East
26% Football-playing Big East holdovers
(3,472 votes)

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2013, 08:57:19 PM »
It's just keefe/warthog, etc. trying to troll me.

Not gonna work.

Someone is trolling you, but doesn't fit the keefe/warthog profile.  The prose isn't grand enough, and a clever email address was not visible on the profile.  Those characteristics have proven to be fairly consistent.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2013, 09:49:06 PM »
I have to tell you that as pumped up as I am about this year's team there is a knot in my stomach regarding the future.  The reason we are so pumped about this year is becasue we beat some of the best the nation has to offer.  SU, PITT, ND, UConn.. We tied Lousiville for the title.  That competition is gone now.  So while some feel that it is no big deal that we are replacing these team with mid majors (fact), I think it is.  This is about the future and I am sorry these new teams just don't add up.  If Buzz leaves I can't wait to hear what the excuse from so many people is..

I have to agree.  With the new league our ceiling will be no higher than Gonzaga's this year.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 09:53:13 PM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2013, 09:50:15 PM »
Doubt it is Keefe.  He wouldn't be bashful about staking his name to his opinion.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2013, 09:50:57 PM »
BTW, PC is comin' on and will be a handful.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2013, 11:25:50 PM »
I have to tell you that as pumped up as I am about this year's team there is a knot in my stomach regarding the future.  The reason we are so pumped about this year is becasue we beat some of the best the nation has to offer.  SU, PITT, ND, UConn.. We tied Lousiville for the title.  That competition is gone now.  So while some feel that it is no big deal that we are replacing these team with mid majors (fact), I think it is.  This is about the future and I am sorry these new teams just don't add up.  If Buzz leaves I can't wait to hear what the excuse from so many people is..

I personally look forward to winning more league championships.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2013, 11:47:05 PM »
Break it up. 

.. is DePaul a mid-major?

DePaul is a mid-major. Right now they have no business being in a high major conference. They are a joke.

Death on call

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2013, 11:54:56 PM »
DePaul is a mid-major. Right now they have no business being in a high major conference. They are a joke.

Is Nebraska mid-major? What about TCU? Texas Tech? Penn St? Wazzou? Oregon St? Miss St? Auburn? Pointing out that there are really bad teams in a conference is stupid and pointless.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2013, 01:20:59 AM »
Even though Depaul is pretty bad right now I really do see potential for them. Melvin is good, Brandon Young, Jamie Crockett and Charles Mckinney are all only sophomores and they are good players and Kirk isn't awful. They really should be better than they are, I think they can surprise the league in a couple years.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2013, 01:33:01 AM »
Even though Depaul is pretty bad right now I really do see potential for them. Melvin is good, Brandon Young, Jamie Crockett and Charles Mckinney are all only sophomores and they are good players and Kirk isn't awful. They really should be better than they are, I think they can surprise the league in a couple years.

At this point it would be hard for them to disappoint.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2013, 02:51:40 AM »
At this point it would be hard for them to disappoint.

Carl Jung said, "A beautiful woman is a source of terror. As a rule, a beautiful woman is a terrible disappointment."

Kafka wrote,"disappointment gave way to disillusionment which turned to despair. Bone crushing, soul searing despair."

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2013, 07:47:29 AM »
Even though Depaul is pretty bad right now I really do see potential for them.

I've been hearing that for 20+ years now.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2013, 08:49:29 AM »

The numbers don't work for Gonzaga.   Also, MU had to lobby hard to get Creighton in.   East coast C-7 schools didn't want to cross the Mississippi.   As to football, football wrecked the Big East.   Any team with decent football got grabbed by somebody else.   Pitt, Syracuse, WVU, Louisville, and ND aren't walking back through that door.   And UConn and Cinci have been begging the ACC to take them.    To reset a conference and include a couple of schools who are already looking for a way out is like marrying somebody even though you know they don't think you are good enough and are looking for someone hotter.     So the C7 removed football from the equation and got the best basketball-only schools they could within a geographic footprint.  Smart.   I am grateful you weren't the one negotiating. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback