Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: BE Coach of Year - Jay Wright???  (Read 4273 times)

MUDrag

• Walk-On
BE Coach of Year - Jay Wright???
« on: March 06, 2013, 10:15:14 PM »
Just watched halftime show for Stanford/Cal game and Seth Greenberg noted it should be Jay Wright with special mentions for Ed Cooley and Buzz Williams.  Jay Williams thought Kevin Ollie should also get a mention.  What?  I think with GT's loss, Buzz should be the leading candidate.  If MU wins on Saturday, I think Buzz wins the award.

jesmu84

• All American
Re: BE Coach of Year - Jay Wright???
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 10:19:04 PM »
Andy Katz tweeted that he thought it should be Jay. Nova has knocked off Louisville, Cuse, Gtown, Marquette. Anyone remember where they were projected?

statnik

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 10:20:59 PM »
Andy Katz tweeted that he thought it should be Jay. Nova has knocked off Louisville, Cuse, Gtown, Marquette. Anyone remember where they were projected?

I think bottom half of the league, perhaps around tenth?  I think it should be JT, personally.  They have still only lost five games this year, which with a team that was projected around 5th or 6th in the BE, is a nice accomplishment.  Either him or Buzz, imo.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 10:22:19 PM »
Nova was picked 12th.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 10:24:16 PM »

And UConn

As I noted in the other thread ... if I told you a BE team would beat these five, you would have not guessed they were a bubble team but instead vying for a #1 seed.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 10:25:06 PM »
I think bottom half of the league, perhaps around tenth?  I think it should be JT, personally.  They have still only lost five games this year, which with a team that was projected around 5th or 6th in the BE, is a nice accomplishment.  Either him or Buzz, imo.

But it's not about all season record, it's about Big East conference play. Right now, Buzz and JT3 have same record and MU projected lower than Gtown. So...

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 10:25:40 PM »
Jay Wright doesn't deserve COY. Yes, they overachieved, but let's not forget that this is a 10-8 team, barely over .500 and has three losses to Providence and Seton Hall. Their only road win against a team that could finish at .500 is UConn. I applaud what they did, but COY isn't given for your best wins, it's given for your body of work. I just don't think Villanova's overall body of work merits that award. I think the minimum win total I'd give it for would be 11, and that'd have to be for a team picked dead last. Otherwise, 12+ should be the bar.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 10:39:01 PM »
Nova was picked 12th.
asonine that this comes into consideration... Didn't buzz say he doesn't even do his own pre-season ballot? Think potion does?

This is why we are picked 7th each year. The preseason polls are pointless, and its dumb that they would factor into COY votes
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 07:43:10 AM »
Buzz is likely to be a victim of his own success where COY voting is concerned. The fact that they are performing better than expected based on the roster/players returning, comes as a surprise to no one, as that is what Buzz Williams Marquette teams do. Forget overachieving, how about just good?

I'd have no problem throwing a vote at Jay Wright, or JTIII.  I actually don't think what MU has done this year has exceeded my expectation by all that much. Villanova on the other hand...

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 07:46:22 AM »
Jay Wright doesn't deserve COY. Yes, they overachieved, but let's not forget that this is a 10-8 team, barely over .500 and has three losses to Providence and Seton Hall. Their only road win against a team that could finish at .500 is UConn. I applaud what they did, but COY isn't given for your best wins, it's given for your body of work. I just don't think Villanova's overall body of work merits that award. I think the minimum win total I'd give it for would be 11, and that'd have to be for a team picked dead last. Otherwise, 12+ should be the bar.

Totally agree.  To give this year's to Jay Wright would be a joke.  There are two teams that weren't predicted to fight for the championship that are.  It took Nova until March to merely punch their ticket to the tournament.  You were picked 12th and will finish no better than 7th?  Give me a break.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 08:01:20 AM »
I'm ok as long as it is a BE7 coach.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 08:15:46 AM »
Nova was picked 12th, finished tied with either UConn or Providence for 7th. 
MU picked 7th, could finish tied for 1st. 
Georgetown 5th, could tie for 1st, lost a key player due to academics. 
Providence was picked dead last at 15th and a win at UConn would tie them for 7th, same as Nova with two wins over them.   

Got to go with Buzz or JTIII.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 09:13:20 AM »

Don't forget that USF's Stan Heath won last year.  

Nobody knows how the votes will come in or what voters will prioritize.  But one can make equally good cases for Buzz, Wright, or JTIII.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 09:23:16 AM »

Nobody knows how the votes will come in or what voters will prioritize.  But one can make equally good cases for Buzz, Wright, or JTIII.

If we lose Saturday and Georgetown wins, it's JTIII. If we win it's Buzz no matter what Georgetown does. If both MU and Georgetown lose give it to Wright or Cooley.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 09:36:27 AM »

He may not totally deserve it but he can steal it just like Stan Heath did last season.

Don't forget that the fellow coaches are the ones who bestow that honor amongst one of their tribe. Imagine if you did voting for employee of the month in your office. Bet there are a few who wouldn't get your vote due to issues outside of the work itself.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 10:38:05 AM by Golden Avalanche »

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2013, 10:01:01 AM »
Jay Williams thought Kevin Ollie should also get a mention.  What?
That shipped sailed last night when the Huskies were throttled by USF.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2013, 10:17:05 AM »
I have absolutely no problem with Wright, GTIII or, of course, Buzz.

Each has done an outstanding job this season.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2013, 10:20:38 AM »
I'd have no problem throwing a vote at Jay Wright, or JTIII.  I actually don't think what MU has done this year has exceeded my expectation by all that much. Villanova on the other hand...

I'd love to be as optimistic as you then.  After losing our top two players you saw us potentially winning the conference?

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2013, 10:27:31 AM »
Every sports reporter wants to be a hero and pick outside the lines. Now he's the trendy pick. If they were picked 12th, like MU was in 2009/10, then Buzz should have won it that year. 75% of the Marquette's scoring/assists/rebounding from 2008 was GONE. They went 11-7 in the a superior Big East that year.

Dumb. Last year Marquette lost the BE player of the year and another player that averaged 18 a game. No problem, they will share the BE title. It's not even close if you ask me.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2013, 11:13:08 AM »
Every sports reporter wants to be a hero and pick outside the lines. Now he's the trendy pick. If they were picked 12th, like MU was in 2009/10, then Buzz should have won it that year. 75% of the Marquette's scoring/assists/rebounding from 2008 was GONE. They went 11-7 in the a superior Big East that year.

The other thing is that a big part of the reason they were pick 12th this year is because Wright lost his team and did such a crappy job LAST year, when they finished considerably below preseason projections.  He shouldn't win this year's COY because he did a lousy job last year.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2013, 11:23:25 AM »

Dumb. Last year Marquette lost the BE player of the year and another player that averaged 18 a game. No problem, they will share the BE title. It's not even close if you ask me.

While I agree with everything you say remember that Robert Redford won the Best Director for Ordinary People over Martin Scorcese for Raging Bull, proving that literally anything's possible.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2013, 11:36:45 AM »

I agree.  I don't honestly see how anyone can choose a coach other than Buzz or JT3.  Lose 2 NBA players and still compete for the championship the following year?  After being picked to finish 7th!?

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2013, 02:44:58 PM »
I'd love to be as optimistic as you then.  After losing our top two players you saw us potentially winning the conference?

Winning the conference? No. Somewhere near the top? Yes.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2013, 02:47:10 PM »
On the long list of things I need to get worked up about, this simply doesn't qualify.

Buzz is a great coach and he's ours. JTIII and Wright also did nice coaching jobs this season.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback