'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Win Saturday and we clinch a share...  (Read 9858 times)

Steve Buscemi

• Team Captain
Re: Win Saturday and we clinch a share...
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2013, 08:51:15 PM »
I was as well. Knew people were sleeping on the talent on this team all along.

Like last night?
"I work out twice a day, six days a week and on Sunday I go to church."  -John Dawson

chapman

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2013, 08:52:10 PM »
Brew City was the only true believer.

Is Brew really waiting until Selection Sunday to deliver the well-deserved e-Brag Thread?  I suppose we could just win the actual Big East Regular Season Championship the night before.

Looks like the New Big East will get five this year: MU, GU, Nova, Creighton, Butler.  Would expect all to be competitive next year, as well as St. John's and Providence.  The Friars are 9-8 and could secure a winning BE season with a win at UConn...if Cotton returns next year they'd be tough, without him they'll still be better than usual.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2013, 08:53:06 PM »
Guru, you here? Did you jump off the cliff too early? Nova beats the top 4 teams in the BE at home yet somehow that loss is inexcusable to him...

Well, though I am VERY happy with the results of tonights game obviously....now just think back to the what if...MU wins @ Nova(a game they should have won) and guess what?? They are in 1st place all alone, and could clinch it outright with a win on Saturday.

Sometimes you have to look at how things are "set up". Tonight for example...GU was on an 11 game winning streak, law of averages said they were very over due to lose...it happened. Cuse had won 8 in a row...again, it was set up for them to lose. UL had just lost a tough one at home to Cuse...classic example of the "carry over" effect. None of those things applied when MU went there.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2013, 08:53:45 PM »
I was as well. Knew people were sleeping on the talent on this team all along.

You've always been a true believer:

11     MUScoop / Hangin' at the Al / Re: Rrrrrutgers game thread    on: March 05, 2013, 06:51:14 PM
WTF is wrong with this team on the road?? This is so disgusting! I have never in all my years of watching college BB see a team that looks so completely different on the road as compared to at home. You lose to Rutgers?? What a damn joke! Way to go guys! With everything on the line, this is how you perform??

muguru

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2013, 09:01:02 PM »
Like last night?

Yes....talented teams win games like that, and they all have struggles like that at times, but the key is winning them.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2013, 09:02:11 PM »
Sometimes you have to look at how things are "set up". Tonight for example...GU was on an 11 game winning streak, law of averages said they were very over due to lose...it happened. Cuse had won 8 in a row...again, it was set up for them to lose. UL had just lost a tough one at home to Cuse...classic example of the "carry over" effect. None of those things applied when MU went there.

Law of averages doesn't apply.
Carry over effect doesn't apply.

Using the logic you present you could predict the days Wainwright wears a tan suit while the rest of the staff wears a dark suit.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2013, 09:08:50 PM »
Won't be easy at my age, but I will give it a try.

You're someone who's been there before -  isn't this fun? - and amazing!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 09:14:23 PM by Lennys Tap »

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2013, 09:12:48 PM »
Winning the title will be Buzz' most impressive accomplishment at Marquette.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2013, 09:15:50 PM »

Hey, ive been very positive this entire year.

Steve Buscemi

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2013, 09:30:24 PM »
Yes....talented teams win games like that, and they all have struggles like that at times, but the key is winning them.

I was referring to you... calling the team's performance a joke and disgusting.  I wouldn't say you were always a true believer.
"I work out twice a day, six days a week and on Sunday I go to church."  -John Dawson

muguru

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2013, 09:34:25 PM »
I was referring to you... calling the team's performance a joke and disgusting.  I wouldn't say you were always a true believer.

Okay, believe what you want, but if the team wasn't as talented as I believed they are, I wouldn't have said that about their performance, right?? Now if they weren't talented and that kind of performance was expected, I wouldn't have said that. make sense??

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2013, 09:48:02 PM »
Well, though I am VERY happy with the results of tonights game obviously....now just think back to the what if...MU wins @ Nova(a game they should have won) and guess what?? They are in 1st place all alone, and could clinch it outright with a win on Saturday.

so what you're saying is that mu shouldn't be in the position they are because they are long over due to lose at home?  give it a rest...you act like g-town and louisville haven't had an unexpected loss this year.  it's like saying if g-town would have lost in game 5 or 6 of their last 12 games it would have been a bad loss, but losing in game 12 is ok because it's over due.  what the hell?!?!

statnik

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2013, 09:53:43 PM »
If only I felt we actually deserved the big east championship.  Don't get me wrong we have a solid team thanks to our defense, but nothing more than that.  Unless we pound St. Johns to the ground, my opinion will not change.  We have received about as many breaks as a team could; key players out in half our games, frantic comebacks just to beat poor or average teams, a big ft advantage against SU.   Now a ridiculous ft advantage for villanova to even give us a shot at winning it outright.  I just wish this potential accomplishment didn't feel so hollow.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2013, 09:56:17 PM »
If only I felt we actually deserved the big east championship.  Don't get me wrong we have a solid team thanks to our defense, but nothing more than that.  Unless we pound St. Johns to the ground, my opinion will not change.  We have received about as many breaks as a team could; key players out in half our games, frantic comebacks just to beat poor or average teams, a big ft advantage against SU.   Now a ridiculous ft advantage for villanova to even give us a shot at winning it outright.  I just wish this potential accomplishment didn't feel so hollow.
If we have the best record in the league, we are champions... what is "deserve?"

This is like wasting your time hating that 2+2=4
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2013, 09:58:03 PM »

that always has bothered me.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2013, 09:59:54 PM »

You must not watch a lot of basketball because what you describe is how teams progress and win throughout a season.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2013, 10:00:39 PM »

You tell 'em, statnik! A true champion doesn't get breaks along the way!

::)

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2013, 10:02:34 PM »
nm

statnik

• Team Captain
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2013, 10:07:18 PM »
If we have the best record in the league, we are champions... what is "deserve?"

I'm sorry, its moreso the fact that I don't think we pass the " eye test" and until we put in a good performance or two on the road or in the BET, I won't think that.  Clearly they will still win it and deserve it in that case, I just think we're still only the 4th or 5th best team in the conference.  We will struggle in the NCAA tournament if they let the players play (well davante will at least).

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2013, 10:09:40 PM »
I'm sorry, its moreso the fact that I don't think we pass the " eye test" and until we put in a good performance or two on the road or in the BET, I won't think that.  Clearly they will still win it and deserve it in that case, I just think we're still only the 4th or 5th best team in the conference.  We will struggle in the NCAA tournament if they let the players play (well davante will at least).
the fact that beating the crap out of st. johns tomorrow would make you feel better about this team says a lot...

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2013, 10:11:16 PM »

How many of the last six games did you watch?  Pitt, Hall (especially the second half), Cuse and ND did not pass the "eye test?"  Or does one bad game at Nova and a struggle at Rutgers offset those four great games?  Can a team that is not 18-0 pass your eye test?

statnik

• Team Captain
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2013, 10:18:02 PM »
How many of the last six games did you watch?  Pitt, Hall (especially the second half), Cuse and ND did not pass the "eye test?"  Or does one bad game at Nova and a struggle at Rutgers offset those four great games?  Can a team that is not 18-0 pass your eye test?

Pitt game we played well, that game we passed the eye test.  Seton Hall was terrible, so even a 2nd half surge to win the game going away was not that impressive.  Syracuse we performed well, but taking off any homer glasses, we benefitted from home court advantage with the refs (even with that being said, we shot average).  Kudos to us for making the free throws, though.  Notre Dame we played well, too, but even with a hyped up crowd, and Cooley basically mia, we kept the game close due to our mistakes and difficulty rebounding.  We go through too many stretches where we play poorly on offense and turn the ball over for me to think we are a top 2 or 3 Big East team.  Near the top in making clutch plays, yes and that says a lot about our team's heart, but in the end, our inconsistent play from game to game and play to play will probably cost us.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2013, 10:20:28 PM »

I'll be honest, I thought 2-4 was more realistic. I had us at 13-5 preseason and felt consistently that was realistic as I expected the team to improve markedly as the season went on. I remember when Villanova beat Syracuse and Louisville in the same week, I felt at that point like winning at 'Nova might end up deciding the title. We didn't, so I'm glad GT didn't because it gives us a shot at sharing at worst. Still, that 'Nova game would have likely been a title decider for UL, MU, or GT had any of us won it.

Here's hoping everything breaks right on Saturday and we get the league all to ourselves. Regardless, feeling very good about this team right now.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2013, 10:23:24 PM »
Please identify which team you believe to be the best in our conference based on the criteria you have stated:

- total consistency throughout every minute of every game
- no FT advantage in any game
- no home court advantage in any game
- passes your eye test
- no wins where the other team had any players ineligible/injured
- no stretches of poor play
- no turning the ball over

Which team is that again? I seem to have missed their games this season...  ::)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2013, 10:26:30 PM »

Pitt game we played well, that game we passed the eye test.  Seton Hall was terrible, so even a 2nd half surge to win the game going away was not that impressive.  Syracuse we performed well, but taking off any homer glasses, we benefitted from home court advantage with the refs (even with that being said, we shot average).  Kudos to us for making the free throws, though.  Notre Dame we played well, too, but even with a hyped up crowd, and Cooley basically mia, we kept the game close due to our mistakes and difficulty rebounding.  We go through too many stretches where we play poorly on offense and turn the ball over for me to think we are a top 2 or 3 Big East team.  Near the top in making clutch plays, yes and that says a lot about our team's heart, but in the end, our inconsistent play from game to game and play to play will probably cost us.

Congratulations .. you are the toughest grader in America.   This rundown suggests no team in college basketball has passed your eye-test.

feedback