'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Is The ACC Panicking They Will Lose ND?  (Read 2998 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Is The ACC Panicking They Will Lose ND?
« on: March 06, 2013, 12:02:57 PM »
Reading between the lines ... the ACC is desperate to get ND but Louisville can wait.  Swarbrick does not sound like he's in a hurry?

Is the ACC panicking they will lose ND to the C7?  

You agree?

--------------------------------------

ACC would accept Irish this summer
Updated: March 6, 2013, 12:06 PM ET

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/9022342/notre-dame-fighting-irish-join-acc-summer-school-negotiate-big-east-exit-according-sources

The ACC will allow Notre Dame to join the league this summer if the Fighting Irish can exit the Big East Conference, sources told ESPN.

Notre Dame intended to stay in the Big East through the 2013-14 season as long as the league's seven Catholic basketball schools remained. But those schools -- DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, St. John's, Seton Hall and Villanova -- are expected to announce in the coming days they are leaving the Big East to begin their own league on July 1.

Notre Dame officials have indicated previously that the Irish would seek an earlier exit from the Big East if the Catholic 7 schools departed before 2014. Notre Dame announced last year it was joining the ACC in all sports, except football.

ACC commissioner John Swofford and Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick have said there wasn't a firm deadline in which Notre Dame would have to inform the ACC of its intention to join in 2013.

Last week, Swarbrick told ESPN's Matt Fortuna that each day that goes by makes it more difficult for the Fighting Irish to change leagues than the previous day.

Big East by-laws require that schools must provide 27 months notice before leaving, so Notre Dame couldn't bolt from the league until 2015, unless the school negotiated an earlier exit.

The Big East previously offered Notre Dame the chance for an earlier exit if the Fighting Irish would schedule future football games against Big East opponents, a source said.

But Notre Dame, with five annual games against ACC opponents starting in 2014, told the Big East it didn't have any future openings and was unable to accommodate the request.

Notre Dame and the Big East now must come to an agreement if the Fighting Irish want to join the ACC this summer.

"Nobody's going to let Notre Dame just leave," a Big East source said. "It needs to be negotiated."

Unlike other league members, Notre Dame has a unique situation with the Big East that if it provides 27 months notice, the school does not have to pay an exit fee. Other league members must provide the 27 months notice and pay the league's exit fee, currently $10 million. To leave before 27 months, Big East schools have negotiated paying higher exit fees.

If Notre Dame does join the ACC this fall, the ACC would have 15 basketball members for the 2013-14 season.

The ACC already determined that it would play an 18-game league basketball schedule in 2013-14, featuring home-and-away series against four opponents and one game each against the remaining 10 opponents.

The league announced last fall Notre Dame, whenever it joined the league, annually would play home-and-away basketball contests against two permanent opponents -- Georgia Tech and Boston College. The other two home-and-away opponents would be determined annually on a rotating basis.

While Notre Dame tries to negotiate its way into the ACC this summer, two other departing Big East schools must remain in the league another season.

Louisville, which is headed to the ACC, and Rutgers, headed to the Big Ten, can't join their respective leagues until July 1, 2014. Neither conference is prepared to add those schools in 2013, in part, because it would cause unbalanced football divisions.

GGGG

• All American
Re: Is The ACC Panicking They Will Lose ND?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 12:58:08 PM »
Reading between the lines ... the ACC is desperate to get ND but Louisville can wait.  Swarbrick does not sound like he's in a hurry?

You are reading too much into it.  The very paragraph you highlighted at the bottom is the issue - since Louisville is a football member, adding them would cause unbalance divisions.  ND is a not a football member, therefore that problem doesn't exist.

ND is going to the ACC.  Not the C7.  ND just has to work out the details with the Big East to allow them to do so immediately.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 01:05:56 PM by The Sultan of South Wayne »

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 01:04:29 PM »

You are reading too much into it.  The very paragraph you highlighted at the problem is the issue - since Louisville is a football member, adding them would cause unbalance divisions.  ND is a not a football member, therefore that problem doesn't exist.

ND is going to the ACC.  Not the C7.  ND just has to work out the details with the Big East to allow them to do so immediately.

Agreed.  ND isn't going to negotiate its way out of the old Big East a year early to join the C7.  Now that the ACC is on record that they can come this year, that is where they will go, unless they can't reach an agreement and stay in the leftover league.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 01:16:14 PM »
I think I've read in a few places here on MUScoop that ND either leave early to join the ACC or can go with the new Big East for one year and then go to the ACC. I don't think staying in the "old" Big East is an option. Is this correct? And I don't think the new Big East schools are all that gung-ho on having ND around for just one year.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 01:22:56 PM »
I think I've read in a few places here on MUScoop that ND either leave early to join the ACC or can go with the new Big East for one year and then go to the ACC. I don't think staying in the "old" Big East is an option. Is this correct? And I don't think the new Big East schools are all that gung-ho on having ND around for just one year.
Don't agree.  It's ND that wants to leave early.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 01:23:52 PM »
ND wants into the ACC next year.  The ACC wants them too.  ND owes the old BE exit fees and 27 months, but also are due a portion of the same stash of cash that the C7 wanted.  They just have to negotiate a figure.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 01:36:50 PM »
Then what was Swarbrick's comments last week that they would consider joining the C7/NBEAST all about?  If all he wants is to go to the ACC and just needs to come up with a number with the Old BEAST for an exit, why drag the C7/NBEAST into it?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 01:40:23 PM »
Then what was Swarbrick's comments last week that they would consider joining the C7/NBEAST all about?  If all he wants is to go to the ACC and just needs to come up with a number with the Old BEAST for an exit, why drag the C7/NBEAST into it?

Leverage.  Or perhaps the C7 said "no thanks" to the one year deal.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 01:41:46 PM »
Trying to do exactly what Aresco told them not to do and the C7 not to let them do: piggyback on the C7 for exit leverage. 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 01:49:23 PM »
I get that it supposed to be leverage ... what leverage?  How does saying he will jump to the C7/NBEAST give him leverage?  Leverage with whom?  The Old BEAST or the ACC?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 02:15:09 PM »
I get that it supposed to be leverage ... what leverage?  How does saying he will jump to the C7/NBEAST give him leverage?  Leverage with whom?  The Old BEAST or the ACC?

Both.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 02:24:29 PM »
ND owes the old BE exit fees and 27 months, but also are due a portion of the same stash of cash that the C7 wanted.  They just have to negotiate a figure.

I'm not positive, but I don't think that ND would have any right to the cash that was being divvied up by the C7--they announced their departure before, and independent of the C7 (and Louisville/Rutgers).  As such, I think they forfeited that right to the money once they announced their departure. 

My understanding that the reason that the C7 had any claim to the big pot o' money was because the bylaws specifically contemplated either the football or basketball half deciding to file for divorce in a way that is different than any individual school leaving, and that would divvy up the assets between the two halves. 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 02:27:50 PM »
Both.

Nice vague answer that means you have no idea but assume it must be.

feedback