Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What's right with Jamil Wilson  (Read 8983 times)

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: What's right with Jamil Wilson
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2013, 01:08:56 PM »
yeah, it's Net Points contributions on the vertical, and then the cumulative impact of the games on the horizontal. Basically, is that player a net-positive or net-negative contributor for the game?

There are a number of flaws with it, but I do think that it's a helpful view of how a player has been playing through the season. If you look at the charts, they generally pass the common sense test.

And yes, Jamil has been playing very strong pretty much since the start of conference play.

Finally, since I haven't said it in a few days, Free Steve Taylor!
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2013, 01:28:26 PM »
yeah, it's Net Points contributions on the vertical, and then the cumulative impact of the games on the horizontal. Basically, is that player a net-positive or net-negative contributor for the game?

There are a number of flaws with it, but I do think that it's a helpful view of how a player has been playing through the season. If you look at the charts, they generally pass the common sense test.

And yes, Jamil has been playing very strong pretty much since the start of conference play.

Finally, since I haven't said it in a few days, Free Steve Taylor!

Would be interested to see THAT chart....

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2013, 02:06:44 PM »
Would be interested to see THAT chart....

Steve Taylor (9.3 mpg) comparison to Juan Anderson (13.5 mpg) and Jamil Wilson (24.2 mpg)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2013, 02:08:20 PM »

Steve Taylor (9.3 mpg) comparison to Juan Anderson (13.5 mpg) and Jamil Wilson (24.2 mpg)

When both Taylor and Wilson went out yesterday, Juan had to come in and was really, really struggling defensively. 

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2013, 02:10:35 PM »
Juan is borderline useless right now.  That chart just confirms what me eyes were telling me.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2013, 02:15:32 PM »

When both Taylor and Wilson went out yesterday, Juan had to come in and was really, really struggling defensively. 

I can't really figure Juan out.

Usually by this point, I can identify that a player is good at ABC, and can work on XYZ.

He's made a few shots, and his form looks good. He rebounds ok. He appears to be capable on defense (he's long, fast, tries hard). His ball handling doesn't stand out as particularly good or bad. But, I can't really tell what he is good at and what he is bad at. Kind of average or a little below average at everything.

I guess the stats will tell the story, but from the eye test, I can't really see where he's good or where he's bad. He's kind of just there.

Still has good potential, and would be a great 4 year player-development story for Buzz.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2013, 02:17:47 PM »
Juan is borderline useless right now.  That chart just confirms what me eyes were telling me.

I guess I agree, but I don't really see him being deficient in any specific area. He's also not really good at anything either.

Some more strength and patience will certainly help next year (like Vander this year).

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2013, 02:22:05 PM »
I guess I agree, but I don't really see him being deficient in any specific area. He's also not really good at anything either.

Some more strength and patience will certainly help next year (like Vander this year).

For sure.  Useless relative to what Wilson and Taylor bring to the table.  There's not one thing he does better than either of those guys right now.  Didn't mean to be overly harsh...but if he's net negative, he shouldn't be seeing the court, especially when better options are there.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2013, 02:25:12 PM »
Jamil and Vander have made nice strides this season -- Vander the whole year, Jamil the last month or so.

Assuming they aren't victims of horrible advice and both come back for their senior seasons, they should be a very strong 1-2 punch. Maybe not Jae-DJO strong, but strong nonetheless.

Combine them with Gardner (and Otule?), Mayo (if he comes back), Taylor and the recruits, and it's pretty sweet ... especially if Duane Wilson turns out to be one of those special freshman PGs who can make a difference.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2013, 02:31:01 PM »

Usually by this point, I can identify that a player is good at ABC, and can work on XYZ.

He's made a few shots, and his form looks good. He rebounds ok. He appears to be capable on defense (he's long, fast, tries hard). His ball handling doesn't stand out as particularly good or bad. But, I can't really tell what he is good at and what he is bad at. Kind of average or a little below average at everything.

I guess the stats will tell the story, but from the eye test, I can't really see where he's good or where he's bad. He's kind of just there.

Still has good potential, and would be a great 4 year player-development story for Buzz.

He's not quick (yet) and is REAAAAALLLY skinny, I think mostly due to the fact that he had those shoulder problems.  While he hasn't stood out since the DePaul game (I believe), he provides some nice energy to start games and then primarily sits for JWilson & Taylor.  If he can pack on some lbs. this summer he could be a nice piece next year.  Clearly loves MU and brings a lot of enthusiasm to the team.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2013, 02:33:25 PM »

I think he has potential to grow into a decent forward if he could just get a little stronger.  Look at him compared to Ryan Evans as a sophomore.  They are almost identical statistically - if anything Juan is ahead of where Evans was at the time.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?2-ryan-evans=2010-2011&add=2-ryan-evans&p1=juan-anderson

If he can grow into a player like Evans...someone who hustles, plays defense, hits a shot now and then...then I will be pleased.  If you have a front line of Anderson, Taylor and McKay the year after next, that is a lot of speed and length for opposing defenses to deal with.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2013, 02:34:53 PM »

For sure.  Useless relative to what Wilson and Taylor bring to the table.  There's not one thing he does better than either of those guys right now.  Didn't mean to be overly harsh...but if he's net negative, he shouldn't be seeing the court, especially when better options are there.

I don't think that's entirely fair. He's a sub-par offensive player but the best defensive rebounder on the team. If he cut down on his turnovers and hit a few more open threes he'd be better.

Also, there are two other points. First, not all players are going to be net-positive. Going back a few years, typically only 6-7 of the guys on the team are net positive. Second, remember that the net-points concept does have some flaws, particularly related to defense.

Now, do I think Steve Taylor should get some of Juan's minutes? yeah

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2013, 02:39:10 PM »

Dayum sugar, that was quick.  Gotta play Steve more.  Gotta play Steve more.  Gotta play Steve more.  

Love Steve's trend line.  So hot right now.

It would likely take some time so don't feel compelled by any means, but I'd be intrigued to see Taylor vs. Hayward vs. Butler vs. Crowder in their 1st years in the program.... for entertainment purposes only of course

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2013, 02:58:18 PM »
It would likely take some time so don't feel compelled by any means, but I'd be intrigued to see Taylor vs. Hayward vs. Butler vs. Crowder in their 1st years in the program.... for entertainment purposes only of course

Problem is that I don't have the information for 2008-2010, and only have a partial view for 2010-2011. Unfortunately, the only way to generate these charts is by manually entering in every single game.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2013, 02:58:38 PM »
Dayum sugar, that was quick.  Gotta play Steve more.  Gotta play Steve more.  Gotta play Steve more.  

Love Steve's trend line.  So hot right now.

Venturing out a guess that it will be Crowder, Hayward, Taylor then Butler.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2013, 03:43:14 PM »

I think he has potential to grow into a decent forward if he could just get a little stronger.  Look at him compared to Ryan Evans as a sophomore.  They are almost identical statistically - if anything Juan is ahead of where Evans was at the time.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?2-ryan-evans=2010-2011&add=2-ryan-evans&p1=juan-anderson

If he can grow into a player like Evans...someone who hustles, plays defense, hits a shot now and then...then I will be pleased.  If you have a front line of Anderson, Taylor and McKay the year after next, that is a lot of speed and length for opposing defenses to deal with.

I think that is fair. I don't expect Soph. players to be complete by any means.

Juan is just sort of a weird case where I don't know what specific improvement will help him.

Maybe shooting off of the dribble? I don't know if I have ever seen him do that. Get stronger and finish around the rim?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2013, 03:48:10 PM »
Simply getting stronger would help his game tremendously.  It would help him defend better and be stronger to the hoop.  He has a nice look to his shot already, but more reps wouldn't hurt.

I think Jajuannaman hit it on the head.  Give him a summer to workout without having to worry about his shoulder, and he really could make strides next year.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2013, 03:53:10 PM »
Simply getting stronger would help his game tremendously.  It would help him defend better and be stronger to the hoop.  He has a nice look to his shot already, but more reps wouldn't hurt.

I think Jajuannaman hit it on the head.  Give him a summer to workout without having to worry about his shoulder, and he really could make strides next year.

More strength would conceivably help his entire game, but he still has to have some skill improvement to go along with it.

The top of the key jumper looks good, so more reps there, and I don't think MU has made (or even attempted) many corner 3's. Jae used to find that shot. Maybe Juan could as well.

If he can guard multiple spots, then he becomes a true switchable as well.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2013, 04:13:33 PM »
Jamil last year vs this year

Bull Market ... buy, buy, buy!!

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2013, 04:17:08 PM »
Play STEVE More!, Play STEVE More! Play STEVE more! Ellenson from Rice Lake is a "HORSE"! Big Body for 6-8.

feedback