Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What's right with Jamil Wilson  (Read 8982 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: What's right with Jamil Wilson
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2013, 04:05:10 PM »
His 'stride' is long.   Perhaps that is why it looks like he doesn't slide or change direction well to you.   When he plays smart and plays aggressive, he is quick enough.    When he plays passive, he looks slow.   To my eyes, he has all of the physical tools he needs.   It all comes down to how smart and how aggressive he is playing.     The last couple of games, he has been smart and aggressive.   If he continues to play smart and aggressive, there will be no more questions about his athleticism. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2013, 04:08:07 PM »
I cannot believe that anyone could question the kind of athlete he is. Last year Buzz said he had the tools to be an all time great and Buzz does not throw out positives often. IMO the kid is highly athletic.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2013, 04:23:36 PM »
Goose, Jamil is very athletic.  He can leap, he has good hands, he has good straight line speed.  He is also very intelligent.  He just isn't exceptionally quick.  Which is why he picks up cheap fouls away from the basket, and his offense is limited to cleaning up on the boards and taking set shots.  Again, he doesn't take people off the dribble, and I don't think its simply because he isn't aggressive, but because he doesn't have that burst of acceleration.  And that may simply be poor footwork...I don't know...but I think it is fairly obvious that he lacks something.

I'm not trying to rag on the guy too much, but when people say he has "all the tools to be an NBA player," it isn't entirely accurate.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2013, 06:04:49 PM »
Sultan

Have watched ball for over 40 years and feel I understand the game quite well. That coupled with Buzz saying Jamil has a chance to leave MU as an all time great is enough for me to stick with my opinion. I think Jamil has enough tools to play at very high level.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2013, 07:15:04 PM »
Love to watch jamil play.  When you watch him, you get the feeling that the sky's the limit for him and that he hasn't played his best game yet.  Thankful that he's a Warrior!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2013, 08:12:36 PM »
  When is the last time you saw him take his guy off the dribble? 

Tonight, against Rutgers. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2013, 08:23:43 PM »
Love to watch jamil play.  When you watch him, you get the feeling that the sky's the limit for him and that he hasn't played his best game yet.  Thankful that he's a Warrior!

Which makes me sad because he is running out of time in a MU uniform. Reminds me of Tim Thomas when he was with the Bucks.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2013, 08:36:56 PM »
Which makes me sad because he is running out of time in a MU uniform. Reminds me of Tim Thomas when he was with the Bucks.

Good comparison. I love Jamil's game right now.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2013, 08:40:40 PM »

He's only a junior.   Are you privy to some information about him leaving?

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2013, 08:53:12 PM »
He's only a junior.   Are you privy to some information about him leaving?
Considering he redshirted a year, he is more than 3/4s of his way through his career. At the time of his transfer I had higher expectations for his career. Still a great asset but not what I would consider an all time great.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2013, 09:00:03 PM »
Considering he redshirted a year, he is more than 3/4s of his way through his career. At the time of his transfer I had higher expectations for his career. Still a great asset but not what I would consider an all time great.

His tournament story this year and entire senior year have yet to be written.  5th year seniors often outperform due to physical maturity, mental maturity, and experienced savvy.  I agree he has slightly under performed MY expectations thus far.... but it ain't over yet and he's clearly headed in the right direction.  How many would have thought Crowder would have been BEast POY at this point of the season his 1st year with us?  I highly doubt Jamil reaches those heights next year (few in a MU uni ever will), but if I had to bet I'd say he'll be an all-conference caliber player in the New BEast next year.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2013, 09:26:40 PM »
I thinks Jamil is an outstanding player and leader.  He is a winner.  Glad we have him for one more year!

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2013, 09:39:17 PM »
He's the one player that's been playing consistently well for us the last several games.  It's really good to see him consistently playing to his ability. 

Go JWil!   :)
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2013, 11:13:48 PM »
When Jamil scores MU seems to win, gets lots of open looks as teams sag to the big men all the time.  His confidence is growing,  I would like to see him hit a shot in the first half,
seems to be a second half player.  Rutgers let MU shot the outside shot, when they had to, they made a few.  Can not take any team lightly on there court.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2013, 06:35:37 AM »
He still passes up a few too many open threes. Seems like he always gets one great wide open look and thinks about it then passes the ball on. Want him to be aggressive and get that first shot. Maybe it's like a batter never swinging at the first pitch, but I remember one last night where I thought "you gotta take that shot!" and it seems like most nights he has at least 1-2 of those moments.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2013, 07:05:45 AM »
Agreed on when Jamil scors we often win. He is too important to not be top three scorer every night. He looks to me to be recharged and his attitude an body language look much better than a few weeks ago. Hope he keeps it up for 13 more months.

JD

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2013, 10:00:45 AM »
Not surprised by Jamil's recent play,  he did this last year too.

Kid loves pressure, i expect BIG things from him once the tournament starts.
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2013, 10:25:00 AM »
I've often thought that this team tends to go as Junior goes, but it may actually be more accurate to say that the team goes as Jamil goes...

Jamil's offensive numbers:
22 wins: 24.6 min, 9.9 points, 49.7% FG%, 33.9% 3P%
7 losses: 23.0 min, 6.3 points, 34.8% FG%, 47.1% 3P%

Junior's offensive numbers:
22 wins: 27.6 min, 9.1 points, 45.3% FG%, 21.6% 3P%, 3.4 assists, 3.6 TOs
7 losses: 28.4 min, 7.0 points, 42.0% FG%, 25.0% 3P%, 4.5 assists, 2.2 TOs

Junior's A/TO in losses really stands out but if you take away Jamil's 16-point performance at GB, he's only averaged 4.7 points in MU's other 6 losses compared to nearly 10/game in wins.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 10:29:38 AM by MerrittsMustache »

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2013, 10:29:33 AM »
When Jamil is actively looking for his shot, our whole offense is better.  He's been aggressive lately...hope he keeps it up.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2013, 10:36:03 AM »
Jamil last year vs this year

A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2013, 12:21:49 PM »

These comparison charts are sweet.  Really illustrate a point well.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2013, 12:27:57 PM »

I'm not an expert on charts but Jamil's looks like he's broken out.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2013, 12:40:44 PM »
I'm not an expert on charts but Jamil's looks like he's broken out.

What is being graphed on the vertical??

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2013, 12:50:10 PM »
Let's not forget that Jamil was our center last year for the majority of the big east season and was completely out of position. This is really his first year in Buzz's system where he is playing (in games) his natural position and is coming on at exactly the right time. I have a feeling he has turned a corner and will be huge for us the remainder of this year and more importantly during our national championship season next year.
Bring back FFP!!!

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2013, 12:51:13 PM »
What is being graphed on the vertical??

I believe it's net points contribution.  I'll let Warrior's Path explain it...

feedback