'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Report: C7 to split in July, take Big East name with it  (Read 18150 times)

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: Report: C7 to split in July, take Big East name with it
« Reply #125 on: March 01, 2013, 08:40:59 AM »
From a Deadspin article:  The Big East Just Got Good Again

No, the sad-sack Big East didn't find a miraculous way to stop hemorrhaging schools, nor re-negotiate its TV deal with ESPN that will pay six times less than what it was offered just two years ago. The Big East, one of the most storied basketball conferences in the country, wasn't able to swing a last-minute agreement to retain Syracuse or Pitt or Louisville or Notre Dame. But they have sold the name "Big East" to the departing Catholic 7 schools. So the New Big East will have the name and MSG and a TV deal with Fox and a solid top-to-bottom membership. The Old Big East will be a wastleland, but at least we don't have to call it the Big East anymore.

Also...

SI reports that it's expected the New Big East will finalize a deal to play its conference tournament at MSG. The Old Big East will probably hold theirs at the Elks Lodge off Route 17 in Paramus.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 08:44:27 AM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #126 on: March 01, 2013, 08:47:13 AM »
-C7 to form a 10 team league starting in the fall with C7+Butler+Xavier+Creighton
Where has Creighton for next year been reported?

-Retain Big East name(and hopefully going to a refreshed version of the original BE logo)
Just my opinion, but we should keep the current logo, at least for now.  I think we should be branding this as the same great Big East conference everyone knows and focus on continuity.  The C7 should be spinning this as the true Big East returning to it's roots.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #127 on: March 01, 2013, 08:49:13 AM »
But they'll be playing G'Town twice (current RPI = 10), MU twice (current RPI =  13), Butler twice (current RPI = 29), etc.  And while they'll be losing SU, Louisville, etc. from their skeds, they'll also be losing Rutgers and South Florida.
Syracuse and Louisville are no doubt better than Xavier and Butler, but on the other side, Creighton and St. Louis are better than Rutgers and USF.
The highs may not be as high, but  the lows won't be as low.

In no way am I suggesting that this league will be as good as the 2005-12 Big East, but it'll be respectable and certainly well above the rank of mid major.

Good point about getting to play Butler and Xavier vs. Rutgers and USF.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #128 on: March 01, 2013, 08:51:45 AM »
Where has Creighton for next year been reported?

Dana Oneil's article for ESPN was updated to include Creighton likely joining this fall as well.  They don't have an exit fee out of the MWC so makes perfect sense.  I'd post the link but I refuse to give the four letter network page views, you'll just have to take my word for it.  ;D
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #129 on: March 01, 2013, 09:05:19 AM »
The C7 should be spinning this as the true Big East returning to it's roots.

Youre right, and I suspect that's what they will end up,doing. Definitely should be playing up the old school theme.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 09:09:03 AM by NavinRJohnson »

Abode4life

• Team Captain
« Reply #130 on: March 01, 2013, 09:13:09 AM »
Just my opinion, but we should keep the current logo, at least for now.  I think we should be branding this as the same great Big East conference everyone knows and focus on continuity.  The C7 should be spinning this as the true Big East returning to it's roots.

I don't know about the logo. Maybe we should keep it for the first year, so there is enough time to vet a new logo with enough people to make sure its good. 

I love the idea of keeping the name, but i think with all the hoopla the last 3 years about conference realignment, the Big East was dragged through the mud.  With keeping the name, something else needs a fresh start, and it may be a good opportunity to incorporate it into the "new" re-branding of the Big East to going back to focus on Basketball.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #131 on: March 01, 2013, 09:20:25 AM »
Still kinda want Richmond over Dayton (mostly because it guarantees at least one nearby MU game for me once a year), but I can't complain too much.

And this is exactly what everyone originally thought was going to happen.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

MU82

• All American
« Reply #132 on: March 01, 2013, 09:31:49 AM »

Gonzaga was never an option.  Keefe was wrong about that.

I understand that, Sultan. I was just saying that, in my mind, it could have been better.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

slingkong

• Team Captain
« Reply #133 on: March 04, 2013, 02:45:02 PM »
Huey Lewis' "Back In Time" keeps running through my head since I started reading this thread. Which is good, because that was a totally underrated band IMO.

One thing I haven't seen, though, is whether the original C7 will still receive more of the Fox money for X years until its investment is recouped. Haven't read the articles but does anyone have any scuttlebutt about that?

feedback