[Today at 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Shooter McGavin
[June 14, 2024, 11:05:04 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by mug644
[June 14, 2024, 11:02:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Texas  (Read 33358 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Texas
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2013, 10:22:48 PM »
Let's make sure we get Greinke in context......“It’s obviously the No. 1 thing,” Greinke said. “I could play for the worst team if they paid the most. . . . If the last-place team offers $200 million and the first-place team offers $10, I’m going to go for the $200 million no matter what team it was.”

So what we don't know is if the best team offered 170M and the worst team offered 180M where would he go?

Seems to me his quote speaks for itself...he's going to the highest bidder, not matter what team it was.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2013, 10:24:06 PM »
Yup, he said it yesterday.  Said if the worst team in baseball offered the most money, that's where he was going.  Not exactly Tom Bradyesque

Tom Brady? Why, isn't he a Michigan Man? Hail!

Death on call

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2013, 10:29:11 PM »
If you can't see the difference then I can't help you.....he used an absurd example......nobody asked him where the cutoff would be.

Back to Texas.....you really have to love college basketball.....Texas having a horrible year...everything has gone wrong....they are down 22 with 7 minutes to go andf come roaring back to force OT...these kids are playing like it's for the conference championship.....

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2013, 10:30:33 PM »
This beautiful for Chicos....

He'll calmly tell you, in his usual, set up, passive aggressive manner, that Buzz isn't going anywhere because Buzz once said he'll be here as long they'll have me or something to that effect.

Then, when Buzz leaves, which we all know to be very possible, he will be able to compare Buzz to Crean and prove to everyone that Crean wasn't an a-hole. He'll tell us how Crean is just like Buzz.

This has been brewing for years in Chicos' mind. Its a master plan.

The thing is, if Buzz never leaves, no one will be the wiser about Chicos' game of chess. So, no loss for him. Plus, he'll have a thousand other opportunities to casually point out what an unfair shake Crean has gotten by most of the MU faithful.

Somethings never change. Death and Taxes, as they say.

Oh, and I am not a pyschologist and have absolutely not legitimate expertise upon which to base the aforementioned opinions. But, I did stay in a ....

Haha there are so many great (and true) things in this post that I don't even know where to begin.

The only thing I would look to change is that if Buzz never does leave he may all of a sudden go missing and, ironically, Hoopaloop may reappear to the board!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

geps

• Team Captain
  • Double down
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2013, 10:31:35 PM »
Yeah false alarm Texas comes back. We're good.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2013, 10:31:53 PM »
"Man of his word and such"

Speaking of that soccer stadium donation...

HEY! MARQUETTE SOCCER!

Death on call

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2013, 10:35:05 PM »
Buzz will stay as long as we will have him...his words.

Depends if he is a man of his word. Last year, Jered Weaver of the Angels took approximately $60 million LESS to stay where he was.  He stayed and honored his word.  Everyone is a bit different.

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/feb/23/sports/la-sp-0224-angels-20130224

Forget that the very few people who are above Buzz at Marquette University (AKA his bosses) have changed since he said that and since he was first hired and thus the overall situation may have changed or may change in the future.  Minor details.  He gave us his word so if he leaves he's a liar.  In the faces of Hoopaloop...wait, Chicos... ::)
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2013, 10:51:59 PM »
Buzz has said he will stay as long we want him.  Some tea leaves indicated he isn't 100% wanted.  I personally believe they all realize they're better together than apart.

$2.8M says he is wanted...and I agree, they are better together than apart.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2013, 10:59:17 PM »
Do you really expect him to say "Im going where the money is"?

If Texas or another throws the full boat at him, he'll most likely go. If they don't, he'll stay.

Glad to know that you're so in touch with Buzz.  What did you guys have for dinner tonight?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2013, 11:08:04 PM »
Depends if he is a man of his word.  Last year, Jered Weaver of the Angels took approximately $60 million LESS to stay where he was.  He stayed and honored his word.  Everyone is a bit different.

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/feb/23/sports/la-sp-0224-angels-20130224

I thought that your point over the past 4 years nine months is everyone is the same.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2013, 11:13:08 PM »
The innuendo deafens. I am actually laughing it is so predictable. Really, why do you dislike The Buzzard? He's good man who takes care of his kids, his family, and reps Marquette vary well. And, oh, he's a great coach who wins.

Personally, I find him to be a refreshing change. He's a bit zany but that adds to the charm. Very refreshing, indeed!

Dislike him?  Please....I enjoy him immensely.  Hope he is around for a long time.  The things he was doing that I didn't care for, he has stopped.  Nothing not to like about him.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2013, 11:40:10 PM »
Texas had 12 straight 20 win seasons. I do not think you fire a successful coach for one off year.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2013, 12:33:42 AM »
I heard Buzz say that he has taken to wearing blue and gold all the time because he only wins if he is wearing blue and gold. He'd look pretty funny on the Texas sideline all decked out in blue and gold. :-)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2013, 12:40:24 AM »
Texas had 12 straight 20 win seasons. I do not think you fire a successful coach for one off year.

Well, Tom Crean was fired after losing to Stanford in the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2013, 12:47:28 AM »
Texas forces OT.....kids fighting for their coach.... ;D

Battle of the Alamo II: Remember Rick Barnes!

Death on call

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2013, 01:43:58 AM »
In regards to the crazy thought of Barnes getting fired, Texas currently has the 4th longest consecutive NCAA appearance streak... A whopping 14years in a row in the vig dance.

I think they'll give Barnes a bit of a leash.

//endthread

tower912

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2013, 06:00:23 AM »
Mass use of the ignore button ends this. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2013, 06:29:23 AM »
Chico's, you're trolling. Knock it off.

Buzz is eccentric, but he's not that much different than other high level D1 coaches.

If/when Buzz finds an opportunity that is better personally and professionally, he will take it. That could be next year. That could be 20 years from now. Look at his resume.

Don't get tied up in Buzz's bit. It's another form of 'coachspeak', and there's nothing wrong with that.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 06:31:28 AM by Guns n Ammo »

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2013, 08:03:28 AM »
Chicaloop knows all of that, but he is about little more than gotchas and being able to say, "I told you so." The DJ Newbill thread he started on the other board presents plenty of evidence of that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2013, 08:19:00 AM »
His 15th has been rough, with injuries and a very young team, but here are the numbers from Barnes' first 14 seasons at Texas: 14 NCAAs, including 2 Sweet 16s, 2 Elite 8s, one Final Four.

Oh, and judging from last night, it's obvious this team has quit on him.

Clearly, the man should be fired.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2013, 08:29:45 AM »
Good Lord. Can everyone just step back and TRY to get some perspective. Take off your Texas and MU blinders for a second. Let's say a similar example is going on at another pair of schools and honestly look at what will probably happen.

North Carolina is not good this year. Forget the recruits they already have and are coming in. They are having a bad year. Meanwhile, over at Butler, they are playing tough as usual. I think Roy Williams may need to look out!!

Come on. (and no, I'm not saying Barnes is Williams...just trying to make an example here).

Everyone step off the ledge. Does it sound at all feasible to you that Barnes is going to be fired after so much success there? Why would Texas do that? That makes no sense.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2013, 08:34:37 AM »
It's interesting, taking a look around, it doesn't seem like there are many jobs likely to change hands this year.

ZiggysChestHair

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2013, 08:51:11 AM »
Good Lord. Can everyone just step back and TRY to get some perspective. Take off your Texas and MU blinders for a second. Let's say a similar example is going on at another pair of schools and honestly look at what will probably happen.

North Carolina is not good this year. Forget the recruits they already have and are coming in. They are having a bad year. Meanwhile, over at Butler, they are playing tough as usual. I think Roy Williams may need to look out!!

Come on. (and no, I'm not saying Barnes is Williams...just trying to make an example here).

Everyone step off the ledge. Does it sound at all feasible to you that Barnes is going to be fired after so much success there? Why would Texas do that? That makes no sense.

Roy is a very good example.  Though you are looking at it from the wrong perspective.  You are right that Roy is not Barnes; however, Buzz may very well be Roy.  Perhaps your example should have looked at the similarities leading up to Roy leaving Kansas.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2013, 08:54:01 AM »

+1
and don't forget that two years ago UNC went to the NIT ... send Roy packing

Same at Kentucky ... Calipari has the entire first round of the draft on his team and they are still on the bubble.  Fire him too.  Why is Howland still getting a paycheck at UCLA?

So forget Texas, Buzz to UNC and Buzz to Kentucky, Buzz to UCLA

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2013, 09:01:50 AM »
If I were Texas I'd fire Barnes if I knew I could get Buzz in a heartbeat.  I don't think that will happen in real life, but Barnes has underachieved that program's potential and he has been given more than enough time to succeed.  If Buzz goes there and stays long enough he will bring them multiple national championships.  Of course, if he stays here and adds a guy like Diamond Stone to Steve Taylor and the 2013 class, he will win a NC sooner here.  Which will make it even easier to recruit, giving him no reason to ever leave.  So he should definitely stay!

feedback