Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Mayo and Blue  (Read 6116 times)

OrangeGreenGolden

• Walk-On
Mayo and Blue
« on: February 23, 2013, 06:59:56 PM »
On a night with no offense whatsoever mainly due to Nova's defense why were Mayo and Blue never on the court together?? They are the teams to best scorers from the outside but when they are out their alone the team lacks the ability to score. Also a few more set plays in a game where the free flowing offense is not working seems like it should happen, but it never did.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Mayo and Blue
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 07:19:09 PM »
Blue was nonexistent today...unfortunately.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 07:20:44 PM »
Agree, they should have been on the court together.  Would have eliminated the press...

westcoastwarrior

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 07:23:52 PM »
How would putting mayo an blue eliminated the press when they both would dribble into the trap at the half court corners?  In fact those, along with junior were the reason the trap was kept.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 07:24:13 PM »
Vander with 7 + Gardner with 2 = LOSS

OrangeGreenGolden

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 07:27:56 PM »
The problem for press/ full court trap is not the players. Its has to do with the fact that they have no press breakers in place it seems. Every press break consists of looking around, dribbling, and over the top lob passes.. All effective ways to make a full court press/trap look dang good.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 07:29:19 PM »
Syracuse won't press us Monday because it isn't their style, but God help us if we face any kind of press in the tournament.

avalanche

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 07:35:09 PM »
Where is Buzz's press break?   i have about 6 different plays I could give him.

Also why don't we do a full court zone trap press instead of the ineffective man to man.   I always think of Buzz as being such a prepared coach, but I don't see it in this phase of the game.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 07:35:34 PM »
How would putting mayo an blue eliminated the press when they both would dribble into the trap at the half court corners?  In fact those, along with junior were the reason the trap was kept.
Quite simply ist takes Junior out as he tries to split the double teams or tries to lob over.  May does well in getting around a press.

MauraDay

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 07:43:18 PM »
The problem for press/ full court trap is not the players. Its has to do with the fact that they have no press breakers in place it seems. Every press break consists of looking around, dribbling, and over the top lob passes.. All effective ways to make a full court press/trap look dang good.

This.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 07:48:25 PM »
I can't believe Buzz doesn't even experiment with this lineup.  It's baffling honestly. Especially on a night when our "pg's" were so horrible
No Finish Line

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 08:40:49 PM »

+1.  Press break inbound passess and inbound passes under our own basket are pathetic and unfortunately have improved very little this year.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 08:56:22 PM »
I don't see how it would have helped.  I don't think Mayo played particularly well today.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 10:09:23 AM »
Where is Buzz's press break?   i have about 6 different plays I could give him.
i've watched many college coaches work on breaking the press...you can't just run a press breaker like you would in high school.  it's not like buzz can just run a 1-3-1 press breaker when nova comes out in a 2-3 3/4 court.  it's like saying anyone that loses to cuse doesn't know how to run a 1-3-1. 

in my opinion, we've watched mu struggle all year long with not being a smart team...that shows up in turnovers, attacking zone's, dealing with teams that throw multiple defenses at them, poor fouls, stupid decisions at the end of games, etc. 

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 10:17:49 AM »
i've watched many college coaches work on breaking the press...you can't just run a press breaker like you would in high school.  it's not like buzz can just run a 1-3-1 press breaker when nova comes out in a 2-3 3/4 court.  it's like saying anyone that loses to cuse doesn't know how to run a 1-3-1. 

That's all well and good... but there has to be something better than lobbed cross court passes, and dribbling into two defenders (with the sideline as a third).

There may not be a set press break, but I'd definitely start with quicker ball movement. The lobs allow the trap to move and get set.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2013, 10:50:38 AM »

in my opinion, we've watched mu struggle all year long with not being a smart team...that shows up in turnovers, attacking zone's, dealing with teams that throw multiple defenses at them, poor fouls, stupid decisions at the end of games, etc. 

I don't think its that we're not smart.

I think the problem is that we rely too much on our own quickness. 

One could easliy see the assumption that "we're so quick, nobody would dare press us".  When somebody does, we're flummoxed.

We see that in overall gameplan as well.  One can see an assumption that "we're so quick we can always just score in transition".   Hence, we struggle when an opposing team can force us into a half-court game.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2013, 10:54:20 AM »
Just for kicks and giggles....why not put dwilson and Jr on the floor to break the press.  Presumably our two best ball handlers.

Anyone remember doc breaking the press singlehandedly? 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2013, 10:58:40 AM »
Just for kicks and giggles....why not put dwilson and Jr on the floor to break the press.  Presumably our two best ball handlers.

I remember Tony Miller breaking it single handedly, but he's a better PG than Junior.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2013, 11:03:34 AM »

What I don't understand is Buzz himself stated that Jamil is our best option for pressing and breaking a press and yet he only played 19 minutes.  Added, Wilson seemed to be in the frontcourt when we were pressed.

Maybe it slipped my mind... was he in foul trouble at some point?

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2013, 11:09:41 AM »

Because you take too much offense off the court.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2013, 11:42:14 AM »
Junior holds the whole team back with his high dribble and slow motion mode.  We need Blue and Mayo in the game more; but, the key is to return to Marquette's fast pace attacking offense.  Sad to say, but, Cadugan should see limited action hereafter.  He's the problem period. 

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2013, 12:05:48 PM »
Junior holds the whole team back with his high dribble and slow motion mode.  We need Blue and Mayo in the game more; but, the key is to return to Marquette's fast pace attacking offense.  Sad to say, but, Cadugan should see limited action hereafter.  He's the problem period. 

He has faults but who do you want playing point for 25+ minutes a game?  Blue?  Then that takes away from his offense.  D Wilson... teams will not respect his shooting.  Cadougan is still our best, if imperfect, option.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2013, 02:17:22 PM »
That's all well and good... but there has to be something better than lobbed cross court passes, and dribbling into two defenders (with the sideline as a third).

There may not be a set press break, but I'd definitely start with quicker ball movement. The lobs allow the trap to move and get set.

there wasn't anywhere to move the ball to because mu wasn't getting the ball into the correct spaces on the floor.  it's not like any d1 college player or coach is thinking to break the press with lob passes and slow ball movement.  the type of zone nova played yesterday is broken off the dribble, not the pass...junior couldn't do it, and everyone knows this, which is why nova was in that zone.  to nova's credit, they were pretty good with it. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2013, 05:29:07 PM »
I don't see how it would have helped.

I don't see how it would have hurt.

I'm not one who thinks a Mayo/Blue combo solves all the problems. And it might have fared horribly against Nova. But I don't see why it wouldn't have been worth a try for a couple minutes. I mean, Buzz did finally try Gardner/Otule after 2+ years of pooh-poohing it. That hasn't been great guns, either, but, again, it was worth a try.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2013, 10:28:04 AM »
I'm as frustrated as anyone with Junior at point guard, but honestly I can't see how Blue would be a good option right now.  He doesn't have the greatest handle either.  And I don't think Mayo nor Blue have the mentality for the position.  Maybe try it out for a bit to see how it goes, but I would be surprised if it works any better.

And I would stop the DG/CO bit too.  Nothing like slowing down even more a team that lacks foot-speed.  And DG at the high post isn't doing anything for me on offense.  I would rather see more of Steve Taylor.

feedback