collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 03:19:45 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:00:22 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: You'd never know it happened !  (Read 5210 times)

Murffieus

• All American
You'd never know it happened !
« on: August 28, 2007, 08:11:36 AM »
Yesterday Malick brought together the key shia, sunni, and Kurd leaders and announced that they have made an agreement on 3 key pieces of legislation----namely local elections and granting local provences more control over their affairs, freeing sunnis held without charge, and lifting restrictions on former Bathist members from serving in government and in the military.

Is peace at hand? Probably not as there has to be legislation passed to make these points law------but it certainly is a step in the right direction.

But oddly from the liberal network news media NO MENTION last night----Fox had it and the Public TV stations carried it---but no mention in the NBC evening news which I viewed or the other networks (per Investor Biz Daily).

The networks have gone from the "surge will fail" syndrome several months ago to reluctantly admitting the surge is indeed working, but the new line has been "but without political progress"----now political progress takes place and NO MENTION of such progress as it develops! The weather gets more priority than the progress that they have been complaining about at the TOP of their newscasts as not being forthcoming for years now------GO FIGURE!

Just another example----Please don't anyone tell me that the 3 network newscasts are not biased to the liberal/left-!----it's a case of if you're losing the argument----change the subject!

« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 09:09:52 AM by Murffieus »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: You'd never know it happened !
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 09:20:13 AM »
ABC's news had the story on last night.  So there's one less liberal media outlet for you.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 10:51:03 AM »
How far into the program did the story appear?

When there is a negative out of Iraq it's the headline (first thing mentioned on the newscast)-----here's a major positive and it's buried deep into the broadcast (treated as minor news)!

According to Investor Business Daily the story appeared on page 9 of the Washington Post----and not at all in the NY Times or the LA Times-----again, treated as minor news.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 11:09:49 AM by Murffieus »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 12:23:26 PM »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 01:21:32 PM »
The Gonzales resignation took up at least 5 minutes of their 10 minute news section on ABC, and rightly so.   I imagine the flooding news was next.  Indeed, they only spent a minute on the story, so it's apparent that they, like the others, don't believe this is particularly big news.

Now, you will certainly cry liberal media.  I'm guessing the reality of this event has more to do with it.

George Will commented Sunday that the Maliki "National Unity Government" isn't national, isn't unified, and isn't a government. -- When the Maliki government falls in the next couple months, which is apparently very likely, will you admit that this "unity statement" was just a inconsequential sound bite, made to puff-up Maliki's standing? 

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 02:05:56 PM »
Hilltopper ------So you're saying Gonzales takes up the first 15 minutes of a national newscast-----if so----that's what I would call piling on-----taking their pound of flesh----Clinton fires 8 US Attorneys and it's just another story-----GWB does it and it dominates the headlines along with Iraq for months!

Also you mean that Gonzales in addition to taking up the first 15 minutes of network newscasts----it also took up the entire first 8 pages of the Washington Post and ALL of the pages of the LA & NY Times papers? I don't think so!

You say that ABC doesn't think it's big news----no kidding -----they never do when things break for GWB!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 02:13:17 PM by Murffieus »

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 02:09:33 PM »
hrmmm.. I dunno about you but I read topper's post and saw "5 minutes" not "15 minutes".  *motions for optometrist.. gestures with head in Murf's general direction*
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 02:42:08 PM »
Yup, 5 minutes, not 15.  About 3 minutes of news, 2 mins of political analysis on the story.

P.S. This story was on page 3 of the MJS. 

"Some key Sunni figures on Monday dismissed the agreement as a stalling tactic by al-Maliki to ease pressure from Washington.

"Our position is that this meeting represents a new phase of procrastination and does not honestly aim at solving the problems quickly," Khalaf al-Ilyan, a leader of the Sunni bloc, the Iraqi Accordance Front, said.

"I think that no real or practical solution will come out of this."

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 12:31:56 PM »
Well the fact that someone doesn't supposedly think that anything will come of it is just one person's opinion----or is it? Putting a guilt trip on the other party who one is negotiating against is sometimes a very useful approach/tool in the art of negotiation!

This is the first formal agreement i have seen on these very imporatant issues amongst the 3 parties----if Malicky agreed to them, which he did----he's bound to push for them or he's a complete imbecile who will be out of a job-----I believe he is aware of the latter!

feedback