[June 08, 2024, 07:03:51 PM]

And The New...... by Tyler COLEk
[June 08, 2024, 11:45:55 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Herman Cain
[June 08, 2024, 11:31:50 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MuggsyB
[June 08, 2024, 10:56:27 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NEW C7/Big East info  (Read 17851 times)

muguru

• All American
NEW C7/Big East info
« on: February 21, 2013, 03:17:10 PM »
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: NEW C7/Big East info
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 03:19:13 PM »
Interesting. 

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 03:23:50 PM »
I hope Marquette wins that battle.  If they are only going with a 10 team league, go with established programs, and Creighton is the right choice.  Add SLU and/or Richmond later for their potential.

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 03:31:07 PM »
And you wanna know why those Richmond boards were hating on us...  :D

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 03:32:30 PM »
Isn't the Creighton President is on the Marquette Board of Trustees.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 03:35:43 PM »
Hard to imagine Richmond being the choice as the 10th team.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 03:43:39 PM »

Board of Directors yes not trustees.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 03:44:49 PM »
Just go to 12 teams with SLU as the 12 th team.  Fox wants 12 and 12 teams is simply better in terms of NCAA bid potential.  Go in swinging....

Logi4three

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 03:47:29 PM »

I met Father Pilarz a few weeks ago and asked him about the new conference.  He didn't give me any more information than what we have all read here on scoop and elsewhere, but he did mention that he is "very close friends" with the Presidents of Creighton and Xavier.  Father Pilarz jokingly said that those two were shameless about wanting in to the new conference and that he had to stop taking their calls (clearly saying this in jest).  

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 03:49:12 PM »
So, Father P is a basketball junkie?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 03:51:22 PM »
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 03:52:09 PM »
Just go to 12 teams with SLU as the 12 th team.  Fox wants 12 and 12 teams is simply better in terms of NCAA bid potential.  Go in swinging....

Agree.  Is the non-conference flexibility really more valuable than Fox's premium for 12 teams over 10?  

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 03:54:05 PM »
Says Trustees here: http://www.marquette.edu/about/leadership/trustees.shtml

Well I'd believe the MU site over the his wikipedia page so trustees it is. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

jt92

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 03:54:38 PM »
It doesn't really matter if it is Creighton or Richmond...both are lame.  I can't get pumped up that my AD is going after Creighton, sorry.  The whole realignment is so depressing.  Looks like that Texas job is going to open at seasaon's end.  Buzz is going to have a decsision to make..neither Richmond nor Creighton do anything to help MU's case.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 03:59:13 PM »
It doesn't really matter if it is Creighton or Richmond...both are lame.  I can't get pumped up that my AD is going after Creighton, sorry.  The whole realignment is so depressing.  Looks like that Texas job is going to open at seasaon's end.  Buzz is going to have a decsision to make..neither Richmond nor Creighton do anything to help MU's case.

debbie downer/bob bummer post of the year.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 03:59:37 PM »
This should be Creighton in a cake-walk.  They were 6th in the Country in average attendance last year and have consistently been in the top 20.  The program has a ton of support and would be a great add to the league!

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketball_RB/Reports/attendanceYBYtop25.pdf
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

Jet915

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 04:10:54 PM »
Agreed, hope Marquette wins out!  I have to believe it's going to be 12 though.  If that's the case, you would think Creighton would be a lock at 12 if they are possibly considered at 10.

dpucane

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 04:11:39 PM »

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 04:12:29 PM »

How do Creighton/Richmond change anything?  What addition to the C7 would ever change Buzz's mind in this situation?

Oh and also, Barnes isn't going anywhere this year.

icheights

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2013, 04:12:50 PM »

So true.  I hate this conference at 10 as well...Go big and get 12, get Gonzaga, and really knock this out of the park.  Enough with this Richmond crap.

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2013, 04:13:56 PM »

Yes, and Fr. Lannon is also a former MU administrator--he was a VP when I was a student before taking the President's job at St. Joe's for most of the 'aughts (including the year they went undefeated in the regular season).  He's one of the best leaders in the Jesuits right now, and at one point I hoped he would end up back at MU after Wild left.  I also think he is a decent basketball fan.

There are also a ton of other ties between MU and Creighton, as the only two universities in the Wisconsin Province of the Jesuits.  Soon, though, with the Wisconsin and Chicago-Detroit provinces merging, Xavier will also be part of the same province.  I'm sure that is where a lot of the push comes from to include Creighton in the new conference--not too mention Creighton's credentials and brings the geographic center of the conference closer to us (as opposed to be being on the western fringe).  

Incidentally, SLU is part of the Missouri province and Georgetown is part of the Maryland province, so slightly less connection there.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2013, 04:19:04 PM »
So true.  I hate this conference at 10 as well...Go big and get 12, get Gonzaga, and really knock this out of the park.  Enough with this Richmond crap.

I don't like the line-up of 10 either.  Lame is it.  Go for 12!

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2013, 04:22:20 PM »

Have to quietly hold a spot open for ND ... when (if?) UNC leaves the ACC (for the B1G) that starts the "great ACC implosion."  ND can go back to being completely independent in football and the C7 can roll out the welcome wagon for all other ND sports, including basketball.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2013, 04:24:35 PM »
Have to quietly hold a spot open for ND ... when (if?) UNC leaves the ACC (for the B1G) that starts the "great ACC implosion."  ND can go back to being completely independent in football and the C7 can roll out the welcome wagon for all other ND sports, including basketball.

This is what I'm hoping happens.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2013, 04:26:10 PM »
From the link above ...

Although Fox sports, which has tendered a tentative offer of 40 million a year for broadcast rights, which would start as early as the 2014 season–the push to  begin next season is losing power and no likely–has indicated it would like to see 12 teams, the initial thinking among the Catholic 7 is to  go with 10 schools, which would allow for a double round robbin schedule of 18 conference games.

The football branch of the Big East  also can now close in on looking to the future as well.

After working on a multi-year package with NBC Sports Network for football and basketball which will pay between $20 and 25 million per year, the Big East on Thursday also had to ponder a matching offer from ESPN, which is the current primary broadcaster holder for football and basketball for the conference.

After taking a week to finalize its strategy, ESPN on Thursday . ESPN ”matched’ the offer, but whether the criteria of matching includes promotion and programming slots equal to what NBC is offering remains unsettled.

----

C7 basketball is getting more money that Big East football?  Can anyone enlighten because if I'm reading this correctly, every BE football school has to be dying to get out ... especially UConn and Concy.

feedback