[June 09, 2024, 08:44:46 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by 4everwarriors
[June 09, 2024, 08:25:23 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[June 09, 2024, 07:04:21 PM]

Arby's National Roast Beef Day Deal by oldwarrior81
[June 09, 2024, 05:24:39 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Johnathon Wilkins Intro  (Read 4447 times)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Johnathon Wilkins Intro
« on: February 17, 2013, 10:12:10 AM »
Here is an introduction to the 6-foot-11 and 220-pound La Porte (Ind.) La Lumiere School junior just offered by Marquette.

He was hearing the most from Bradley, Dayton, Virginia, Wake Forest and Xavier. Bradley is the only school to offer Wilkins. Miami (Fla.) and Missouri are also showing interest. He has visited the Flyers and the Tigers.

Wilkins hopes to choose a school in the spring by the end of the school-year.
He played for Indy Spiece on the very competitive Nike EYBL circuit. The young, developing big man averaged 2.4 points and 3.2 rebounds as a key reserve.

"It was a really good time," Wilkins said. "The Peach Jam was awesome. I learned a lot as a player and as a person. This year will be very exciting."

Wilkins is averaging 10 points per game, six rebounds and three blocks for La Lumiere School this season.

"I play a lot more than last year, so I'm getting better," Wilkins said. "I'm getting better at post moves. My shooting I have to work on that a lot. It will be alright."

"I try to bring a lot of energy on the court. I play really hard."

Recently, Wilkins has picked up new offers from Villanova, Miami, Marquette & Auburn to go with his offer from Bradley.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Johnathon Wilkins Intro
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 11:10:34 AM »
What can be concluded is Otule likely moves on.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

augoman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 11:17:49 AM »
I see so much improvement in Chris every game. If we can't secure a stud big I'd like to see Chris go for another year of eligibility.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 11:19:38 AM »
The kid is a junior.   Unless Otule is granted a 7th year, the two shan't overlap. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 12:19:19 PM »
The kid is a junior.   Unless Otule is granted a 7th year, the two shan't overlap. 

Yeah, MATHS.  Dude is a 2014 recruit. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 12:30:53 PM »
Why is it that Purdue, Butler, Indiana are not interested and he's in their state?  Late bloomer?  I know they say he is raw and perhaps more schools will get in on him.  The school he is at has been very good the last few years...5 DI players last year alone and was nationally ranked in the "academy" \ "prep school" division by Max Preps.

http://indianarecruitingguide.com/prospect-rankings/class-of-2014/

augoman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 12:36:31 PM »

Gracias, I stand corrected.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 12:40:37 PM »
Paul White out of Chicago, O'Mara, now this kid.   I am glad to see that it appears that Buzz is emphasizing size for his 2014 class.   Right now, the two biggest guys on MU's team in 14-15 are McKay and STjr, with Juan being the third tallest.   Let's hope he lands some of these guys. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 01:02:53 PM »
Quote from: ChicosBailBonds
Late bloomer?  I know they say he is raw and perhaps more schools will get in on him.  The school he is at has been very good the last few years...5 DI players last year alone and was nationally ranked in the "academy" \ "prep school" division by Max Preps.

Chicos - part of it you hit on - La Lumiere was stacked last year & Wilkins was waiting his turn, after arriving from overseas. (last year La Lumiere had your boy Hanner - now at I4 - and Jay Simpson - now at Purdue - and Obij Aget).

In the EYBL he came off the bench for Spiece.. averaged about 12 mpg.  Will be interesting to see him this spring.

Quote from: tower912
Paul White out of Chicago, O'Mara, now this kid.   I am glad to see that it appears that Buzz is emphasizing size for his 2014 class. 

Different types of players, though. O'Mara & Wilkins I'd call centers... Paul White is more of a 4/3.. he's probably 6'8", but can knock down jumpers, drive with the ball and pass it... match up problem for some defenses.

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 01:06:25 PM »
Why is it that Purdue, Butler, Indiana are not interested and he's in their state?  Late bloomer?  I know they say he is raw and perhaps more schools will get in on him.  The school he is at has been very good the last few years...5 DI players last year alone and was nationally ranked in the "academy" \ "prep school" division by Max Preps.

Isn't Indiana over signed by like 10 already?  After all, Blackmon is the only one on that list with a committed interest in Indiana.  The top others don't seem to have the interest in IU...although IU has offers out.  And #2 Jaquan Lyle lists MU as one of his top interest schools...but no IU. No room at the inn. Didn't Purdue also have a couple of classes signed up?  Maybe the bigger question is where is ND?

Btw, that service also called him "probably the best true "5" prospect in the state".  The best basketball state in the country so it is said.  

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 01:23:59 PM »
Paul White out of Chicago, O'Mara, now this kid.   I am glad to see that it appears that Buzz is emphasizing size for his 2014 class.   Right now, the two biggest guys on MU's team in 14-15 are McKay and STjr, with Juan being the third tallest.   Let's hope he lands some of these guys. 

I think the general view of Paul White on this board is off. He's more in the Jamil Wilson mold than a true big man.  That being said, having that 6'7+ size on the roster is a plus regardless of the style of players
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 01:27:57 PM »
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 01:33:32 PM by TedBaxter »
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 01:29:25 PM »
I think the general view of Paul White on this board is off. He's more in the Jamil Wilson mold than a true big man.  That being said, having that 6'7+ size on the roster is a plus regardless of the style of players

This is accurate.  He's much more a Jamil Wilson/Steve Taylor type,
than a Chris Otule type.  An athletic 3/4 switchable. 

DEFINITELY NOT saying I wouldn't take him, though.  Guy can PLAY.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 01:43:08 PM »
I accept that White is a JWilson type.   But a JWilson type with more size.   And in Buzz's system, if there isn't a true post, then a 6'9 3-4 type is going to get time in the post, particularly on defense.  
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 01:50:59 PM by tower912 »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 01:50:09 PM »
Isn't Indiana over signed by like 10 already?  After all, Blackmon is the only one on that list with a committed interest in Indiana.  The top others don't seem to have the interest in IU...although IU has offers out.  And #2 Jaquan Lyle lists MU as one of his top interest schools...but no IU. No room at the inn. Didn't Purdue also have a couple of classes signed up?  Maybe the bigger question is where is ND?

Btw, that service also called him "probably the best true "5" prospect in the state".  The best basketball state in the country so it is said.  

IU is oversigned, not by 10, likely to lose Zeller and Oladipo to the pros.  Zeller actually will graduate this Summer because he had so many AP credits, which is another reason he may go AND fulfill his commitment to his parents that he would graduate.  Marquette is oversigned as well.  IU is so stacked (but very young) the next few years with incoming recruits (#2 class next year projected) there isn't a lot of room and some kids don't want to sit around.  I get that one, I don't get Purdue, Butler.

Good question on Notre Dame, totally forgot about them.  Add them to the list.

Being the best true 5 prospect in the state doesn't really mean anything if all the 5's aren't very good...right?  All depends how good the other 5's are.  If the best true 5 is ranked 19th overall in the state, suggests to me the 5's aren't very good this year.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2013, 02:21:46 PM »
IU is oversigned, not by 10, likely to lose Zeller and Oladipo to the pros.  Zeller actually will graduate this Summer because he had so many AP credits, which is another reason he may go AND fulfill his commitment to his parents that he would graduate.  Marquette is oversigned as well.  IU is so stacked (but very young) the next few years with incoming recruits (#2 class next year projected) there isn't a lot of room and some kids don't want to sit around.  I get that one, I don't get Purdue, Butler.

Being the best true 5 prospect in the state doesn't really mean anything if all the 5's aren't very good...right?  All depends how good the other 5's are.  If the best true 5 is ranked 19th overall in the state, suggests to me the 5's aren't very good this year.

Wilkins is in two years...so the cumulative effect on IU is many between current roster players, and two classes of commits/signees  (yes, 10 is hyperbole). A lot can change but IU is all filled up two casses out with a waiting list.  So MU is not over signed for two years out.

Didn't  know Zeller had enough HS AP credits to graduate after his sophomore year. Is there also a House Creaning coming for Creek too? Sad case there.  Get his degree and get on with a career.  Also, Crean has signed lesser, more raw 5's from Indiana...the two for the Video Coordinator dad's program.  
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 02:38:10 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2013, 02:31:57 PM »
Maybe for the same reason that Virgina and Virgina Tech didn't offer Gardner?

MU needs 2 centers by 2014. Maybe IU doesn't need bigs? Maybe he doesn't fit the systems at Butler or Purdue? Maybe they have other priorities?

Why didn't UW offer Luke Fischer when MU and IU did?

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2013, 02:40:45 PM »
IU is oversigned, not by 10, likely to lose Zeller and Oladipo to the pros.  Zeller actually will graduate this Summer because he had so many AP credits, which is another reason he may go AND fulfill his commitment to his parents that he would graduate.  Marquette is oversigned as well.  IU is so stacked (but very young) the next few years with incoming recruits (#2 class next year projected) there isn't a lot of room and some kids don't want to sit around.  I get that one, I don't get Purdue, Butler.

I have seen some references on the web to Purdue sniffing around Wilkins.  Definitely haven't offered, yet.  I suspect that they will, eventually. 
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2013, 02:46:32 PM »

Actually, Purdue is interested, according to Wilkins.

Recruiting wise things are beginning to pick up for Wilkins who has one offer, but significantly more interest.
“Miami has been calling, Dayton, Wake Forest, Bradley, Purdue has as well,” said Wilkins. “I have a scholarship offer from Bradley.”

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1260318.html

And the downside of playing at a place like La Lumiere is that rosters are chock full of D-I talent, which means he didn't get a ton of PT as a sophomore (especially one who just moved to the U.S.).

"In contrast, 6-foot-10, 215-pound sophomore center Johnathon Wilkins is waiting his turn behind three veteran post players. His father, Jeff Wilkins, is a former NBA player and he made the initial call to the school.

"When all is said and done he may be the best player we've ever had here," (head coach Alan) Huss said. "He doesn't play a ton for us right now, but he's kind of forcing his way into the lineup. He runs so well, catching everything, has a wonderful touch and competes."

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/0fvfdTY_EeG-rAAmVebEWg/la-lumiere-builds-national-basketball-power.htm

netty24

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2013, 04:29:55 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3B-OctVVCg

Looks like Johnathon has good length and athleticism. What most struck me from the very small sample size of this video is that he seems very calm with the ball and that he keeps the ball high in the post, which is good to see. Overall, with more time and a stronger build, I think Johnathon has a strong future.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 04:36:28 PM by netty24 »

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2013, 09:27:01 PM »
MU will be pretty stacked at the other positions so I really see Buzz trying to recruit the top JC kid who has no competition here except a incoming freshman to start.  I see him after
2 bigs, a big he can say to, the job is yours.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2013, 04:23:02 PM »
Can he shoot FTs well?

That's all I ask: team players with high ceilings, willing to work hard, never give up, and hit their FTs
SS Marquette