[Today at 11:50:43 AM]

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by Jockey
[June 15, 2024, 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[June 15, 2024, 07:12:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

When MU fired TC I was...

Happy, I knew Buzz was the real deal.
24 (15.9%)
Skeptical, but obviously I was wrong
95 (62.9%)
Ambivalent, I knew MU was bigger than any 1 coach
23 (15.2%)
Relieved, I knew we were better than TCU*.  (Tommy had trouble with the Horned Frogs)
9 (6%)

Total Members Voted: 149

Author Topic: The firing of Tom Crean  (Read 23362 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: The firing of Tom Crean
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2013, 07:07:13 PM »
I was there - still the toughest loss I've ever witnessed.

Miami of Ohio is right there too. We had everyone back but Bo...it was ours for the taking.

Death on call

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2013, 07:48:17 PM »
I hear ya, Lenny Man. I was in Athens, GA when Dean fouled out on a bogus offensive foul vs tOSU and we end up playin' UK in the consolation game rather than Jim McDaniels and WKU in the Mideast Regional championship game. Potential FF meeting vs. UCLA was anticipated. Woulda been cool to see Chones and the Warriors go up against Sidney Wicks.

I was in the Army, stationed at Ft Sam Houston in San Antonio when the refs stole that Ohio State game - listened as it came in and out static. That was killer. Drove up to Milwaukee to watch the Miami O game referenced by Keefe (it wasn't on TV in Chicago) and that was a kick in the groin too.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2013, 08:14:48 PM »
I hear ya, Lenny Man. I was in Athens, GA when Dean fouled out on a bogus offensive foul vs tOSU and we end up playin' UK in the consolation game rather than Jim McDaniels and WKU in the Mideast Regional championship game. Potential FF meeting vs. UCLA was anticipated. Woulda been cool to see Chones and the Warriors go up against Sidney Wicks.

Jim McDaniels... That's a name from the past. I just posted his name in another thread as a Dapper Dan MVP.

I remember watching the game against Ohio State on a black and white tv (do they even make those anymore?) I think that was the only time Meminger ever fouled out in a game. We thrashed Kentucky the next day but it was bitter.   

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2013, 07:29:29 PM »
What a f@cked up way to go out - dying for a company that just sh1tcanned you. And your point - to cover a fraudulent "sporting event" - makes it even more f@cked.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist but that NTSB report was pure BS. I remember discussing it with bros through emails. We were all pilots and a lot of the guys were flying the line for various flag carriers. I recall they said a short ignited vapors in a fuel cell shortly after they got wheels in the well. Those bladders were filled for a TransLant and there weren't vapors that early in a flight. Anyhow, that was the last, dying gasp of Howard Hughes' once proud airline and AMR devoured the carcass, essentially buying gates and routes.

CNN with new report on this today....new evidence in Flight 800

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/19/us/twa-crash-claim/index.html

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2013, 08:14:06 PM »
CNN with new report on this today....new evidence in Flight 800

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/19/us/twa-crash-claim/index.html

I think I mentioned, professional pilots laugh at the theory that it was a short igniting vapors. They had just gone wheels in the well on a Translant so there wouldn't have been enough void space for vapors to have accumulated in any volume. Furthermore, the thermal stability of JP8 with additives refutes the possibility of a random ignition. In short, anyone with time in a jet scoffs at the NTSB report.

This doesn't mean I think it was terrorism, though. The only new development is that a number of investigators have now retired and are now challenging the veracity of the report. And that is troubling.   

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #80 on: June 19, 2013, 08:22:31 PM »

This doesn't mean I think it was terrorism, though. The only new development is that a number of investigators have now retired and are now challenging the veracity of the report. And that is troubling.   

Yup, very troubling.  It's like when college professors in some of the sciences retire and all of a sudden when the grant money is gone they come clean and start to talk about how much of what they were pushing was a bit "aided" by the $$$$ coming in to push a certain outcome in their research.  What a system.   :o

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #81 on: June 19, 2013, 08:27:19 PM »
Yup, very troubling.  It's like when college professors in some of the sciences retire and all of a sudden when the grant money is gone they come clean and start to talk about how much of what they were pushing was a bit "aided" by the $$$$ coming in to push a certain outcome in their research.  What a system.   :o

Does your insurance company charge you extra considering all those strawmen you have lying around???

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2013, 08:55:31 PM »
Jack O'Hara MU 1979 grad and his wife, whose sister was a '78 grad, died in that crash. Jack was president of ABC sports at the time. Even during MU's lean years, he always found a way to get MU on national tube. Left twin sons as I recall. Have always followed the news of that flight. IIRC the pilot praised Allah as the plane went down. There was some speculation he ditched the plane in an act of terrorism. I did not know Jack other than to say hi but I have read a lot. Some witnesses thought there were surface to air missiles fired at the plane but that proved impossible because the plane was so far away from land when it started its dive. Very suspicious crash. Very sad. Huge MU connection.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #83 on: June 19, 2013, 11:18:24 PM »

Does your insurance company charge you extra considering all those strawmen you have lying around???

No.  My dad was a former college professor and scientist (Geophysicist \ Geologist)....worked in the private sector for many years before retiring and ironically then going back to work for the University of California before he died.  No strawmen needed, he and others told it like it was.  You go where the money is and teach to the money (the grants) often, because that's how the department is funded and how projects and careers stay on track.  That doesn't mean it happens 100% of the time, but you're kidding yourself if you think it doesn't happen.  Get a bunch of retired scientists in a room (as I've seen with pops) and hear them chatter. It's pretty awesome...only thing I can compare it to is sitting in a room with retired military...I do it every year and could do it every day.  It's fantastic to hear the unabridged, unfiltered commentary of real people.

Or you can follow the announcements from the last 10 years of certain scientists and profs that have "changed their tune" on any number of subjects once they retire.  Interesting correlation, I'm sure it's all coincidence.   :o 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #84 on: June 19, 2013, 11:19:22 PM »
Jack O'Hara MU 1979 grad and his wife, whose sister was a '78 grad, died in that crash. Jack was president of ABC sports at the time. Even during MU's lean years, he always found a way to get MU on national tube. Left twin sons as I recall. Have always followed the news of that flight. IIRC the pilot praised Allah as the plane went down. There was some speculation he ditched the plane in an act of terrorism. I did not know Jack other than to say hi but I have read a lot. Some witnesses thought there were surface to air missiles fired at the plane but that proved impossible because the plane was so far away from land when it started its dive. Very suspicious crash. Very sad. Huge MU connection.

Correct, that's why we brought up earlier in the thread.  Great guy.  Will never forget the news when we got it in the athletic department.  Jack was trying to help out a very struggling program to get on TV and was working with Bill Cords.  Tragic in so many ways.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #85 on: June 20, 2013, 07:15:40 AM »
nm
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 07:31:35 AM by Terror Skink »

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #86 on: June 20, 2013, 12:10:31 PM »
so maybe Pierre Salinger was right afterall

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #87 on: June 20, 2013, 12:43:22 PM »
I did not bother to look on previous pages. Mistake to look at just the topic etc. on this thread.

Correct, that's why we brought up earlier in the thread.  Great guy.  Will never forget the news when we got it in the athletic department.  Jack was trying to help out a very struggling program to get on TV and was working with Bill Cords.  Tragic in so many ways.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #88 on: June 22, 2013, 02:01:43 AM »
This is a somewhat shocking poll and none of those answers I could pick from. Tom Crean wasn't fired was he? I do not recall that at all as being the official word. Who said he was fired? It must just feel nice for you to type it I guess.

Regardless to whether you admit it or not St. Thomas Crean was MU and put this University and the Men's Basketball Program back on the map by himself.

And at that time MU needed someone 'larger then life' to really transform this program and you all know it. And at that time about 13-15 years ago I venture to guess that many of you posters were still in high school at the time if not still in middle school.    

Wade and Father Wild helped out, but Wade would not have made it if Crean did not take a chance and he hired or gave Buzz Williams a coaching job. That is the bottom line folks.

The ingratitude I read is ....alarming. He change the culture whether you like it or not and this team catapulted his energy into success ever since. I will NEVER have a bad word for Tom Crean.

Never.

Was he bigger then the Program at times? Hell yes he was. So what. He had to be to make it work! Of course he was. Big deal. 80% of the coaches in College Basketball are 'bigger then their programs.' Guess what folks it according to what he was paid, he should be it was his baby!

At that time that is what MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY needed. Just like Al McGuire and Mike Deane and Kevin O'Neil. Why are you all tripping? I don't want to be a part of his bashing. It is misplaced...imo
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 02:13:58 AM by MUHoopsFan2 »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #89 on: June 22, 2013, 02:28:45 AM »
This is a somewhat shocking poll and none of those answers I could pick from. Tom Crean wasn't fired was he? I do not recall that at all as being the official word. Who said he was fired?

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus.

And yes, Fan2, Tom Crean was fired. Or dismissed. Semantics aside, he was relieved of his duties and responsibilities as coach of the Marquette Men's basketball Team in April 2008 for conduct unbecoming a Gentleman and Successful Division I Head Coach. His boorish behavior, unconscionable treatment of those not deemed to possess the appropriate level of celebrity, and inability to win a First Round NCAA Championship Tournament game led Fr. Wild to make the correct decision as regards Tom Crean's continued leadership of our beloved Warriors.

Let me ask you, Fan2, are your Warriors better off than they were 5 years ago? Unlike with Jimmy Carter the answer is YES under Buzz Williams. Rejoice, my friend.

Death on call

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #90 on: June 22, 2013, 05:51:45 AM »
Crean sucks
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 05:55:53 AM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #91 on: June 22, 2013, 11:59:33 AM »
Real question is: If Buzz had a player like Duane Wade or a team similar to the 2003 team, would Buzz make the championship game? If you think so, you should focus on the future and let Crean stay in the past. If not, I understand your pain. It's crazy how the name "Crean" divides the MU community.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 12:04:34 PM by Sunbelt15 »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #92 on: June 22, 2013, 01:30:05 PM »
This is a somewhat shocking poll and none of those answers I could pick from. Tom Crean wasn't fired was he? I do not recall that at all as being the official word. Who said he was fired? It must just feel nice for you to type it I guess.

He wasn't fired.  These bozos think that if they state it enough that it will become fact.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #93 on: June 23, 2013, 06:10:17 PM »
Crean sucks

Is this the photo of Crean kissing his son? Awfully strange, regardless of victim.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #94 on: June 23, 2013, 07:28:39 PM »

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #95 on: June 23, 2013, 07:38:51 PM »
Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus.

And yes, Fan2, Tom Crean was fired. Or dismissed. Semantics aside, he was relieved of his duties and responsibilities as coach of the Marquette Men's basketball Team in April 2008 for conduct unbecoming a Gentleman and Successful Division I Head Coach. His boorish behavior, unconscionable treatment of those not deemed to possess the appropriate level of celebrity, and inability to win a First Round NCAA Championship Tournament game led Fr. Wild to make the correct decision as regards Tom Crean's continued leadership of our beloved Warriors.

Let me ask you, Fan2, are your Warriors better off than they were 5 years ago? Unlike with Jimmy Carter the answer is YES under Buzz Williams. Rejoice, my friend.

The scary part is sometimes I actually believe that YOU BELIEVE what you wrote in the paragraph above.  For a long time I figured it was the schtick, but I'm not so sure sometimes.  I think there is a part of you that thinks he was fired.  I hope it's the beers talking to me and I'm misinterpreting, it's been an enjoyable Sunday afternoon.   ;)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #96 on: June 23, 2013, 07:55:21 PM »
The scary part is sometimes I actually believe that YOU BELIEVE what you wrote in the paragraph above.  For a long time I figured it was the schtick, but I'm not so sure sometimes.  I think there is a part of you that thinks he was fired.  I hope it's the beers talking to me and I'm misinterpreting, it's been an enjoyable Sunday afternoon.   ;)

My initial sentence tees everything up rather nicely I should think.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #97 on: June 23, 2013, 07:58:46 PM »

Sundays are meant to be spent in the mountains but we are experiencing a typical Seattle summer day...1,800' solid with intermittent drizzle. SoCal weather is superb but it comes with SoCal people, unfortunately!

Death on call

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #98 on: June 23, 2013, 08:19:27 PM »
Sundays are meant to be spent in the mountains but we are experiencing a typical Seattle summer day...1,800' solid with intermittent drizzle. SoCal weather is superb but it comes with SoCal people, unfortunately!
I think that subtlety is sometimes lost on the audience, but I gotcha'.  Very clever but I've come to expect that!  Good job, Crash!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #99 on: June 23, 2013, 09:31:02 PM »
My initial sentence tees everything up rather nicely I should think.

Never feel the need to explain. Anyone who equates quality with ratings would no doubt prefer John Denver to John Prine, Frankie Valle to Frank Zappa. That is not and never will be your "target audience".

feedback