Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] Home winning streak tied for 4th longest in MU history  (Read 6028 times)

CrackedSidewalksSays

Home winning streak tied for 4th longest in MU history

Written by: noreply@blogger.com (muwarrior92)

Marquette's victory over #16 Pittsburgh today not only kept them in first place in the Big East, it also extended their home winning streak to 23 straight wins.  The win by Buzz Williams' club ties the 4th longest home winning streak for men's basketball at Marquette with the teams from 1958 to 1960 under Eddie Hickey.  Marquette has two more home games this year and if they win both will move into the third longest home winning streak in MU history heading into next season.

Here are the longest home winning streaks in Marquette basketball history

81 games  1967 to 1973  Coach Al McGuire
28 games  2001 to 2003  Coach Tom Crean
24 games  1977 to 1979  Coaches Al McGuire and Hank Raymonds
23 games  2012 to current  Coach Buzz Williams
23 games  1958 to 1960  Coach Eddie Hickey
22 games  1974 to 1976  Coach Al McGuire
20 games  1995 to 1996  Mike Deane

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2013/02/home-winning-streak-tied-for-4th.html

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] Home winning streak tied for 4th longest in MU history
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 07:07:24 PM »
That's approaching legendary status for Buzz.

Not even Crean's name is up there.
SS Marquette

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 07:09:13 PM »

Um....
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

MUUWUWM

• All American

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 07:26:47 PM »
If we win the next two (big if) then we end the season at 25.  To get to 29, and move into second alone, should be easy as the next four home games will be buy game cupcakes in November.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 07:34:22 PM »
I agree with 77, I very much like not seeing Crean on that list.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 07:43:08 PM »
If we win the next two (big if) then we end the season at 25.  To get to 29, and move into second alone, should be easy as the next four home games will be buy game cupcakes in November.

I would agree.

The interesting thing about the 28 game streak in the 2000's is Louisville.  We lost to Louisville in triple OT before starting that win streak.  Louisville also ended the streak in 2003 when they were ranked #2 in the nation, MU lost 77-74.  If MU wins that second game, the streak would have run to 41 games.  If MU had won the first Louisville game and the second one, the streak extends to 44 games.  Basically what I'm saying is MU won 40 of 41 home games at one point, and 43 of 45.

ND ended MU's 81 game home winning streak in 1973.  If we had won that game against the Irish the streak would have hit 100 before losing game 101 at home to Creighton in 1974.  At one point Al's teams in the late 60's and into the 70's won 151 out of 158 home games.  Talk about ridiculous home court advantage. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 07:49:09 PM »
  At one point Al's teams in the late 60's and into the 70's won 151 out of 158 home games.

Was at the Arena for each one of them.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 07:54:42 PM »

Was at the Arena for each one of them.

Must have been wild. That type of dominance is really hard to come by today.  I was young when I saw the last year of John Wooden's run here in LA.  They were still very good at home when he left, but never to the same level. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 08:00:25 PM »
Umm, Crean's up there in second place......
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 08:03:40 PM »

Blind rage!

Death on call

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 08:04:18 PM »
There were obviously some phenomenal games along the way, together with some real puppy's like St. John's (Minn.), Northern Michigan, Drake etc. It never mattered to me who the opponent was, I came to watch Marquette.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 08:15:16 PM »
That was not a great UND team. They lost their first 6 games before finally beating KU. Their first six games was a cupcake schedule that went Michigan, Ohio State, SLU, Indiana, UCLA, and Kentucky. It eased up in Game 7 when they beat Kansas. They limped into the Arena with a 2-6 record and upsetting Marquette. That team had Brokaw and Shumate and not much else. I think they actually had a couple guys from the football team playing basketball. Things changed the next year when Dantley showed up and UND's program turned around.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 08:26:31 PM »
There were obviously some phenomenal games along the way, together with some real puppy's like St. John's (Minn.), Northern Michigan, Drake etc. It never mattered to me who the opponent was, I came to watch Marquette.

We had this guy, Lucas LaMadrid, on our floor at McCormick who saw that Marquette was favored by 40 over St Leo's. Lucas took St Leo's. Everyone on the floor took the bet, including the RA Don Burke. Marquette ended up winning by 60 something and Lucas was out over $800. To his credit he repaid everyone over the rest of that year. LaMadrid ended up as a Sacred Heart priest and taught at Notre Dame while Burke wrote sports for the Urinal, Star Ledger, and now edits for the NY Post.

Death on call

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2013, 08:31:28 PM »
Must have been wild. That type of dominance is really hard to come by today.  I was young when I saw the last year of John Wooden's run here in LA.  They were still very good at home when he left, but never to the same level. 
I was there for most of tose as well.  It was a remarkable ongoing experience.  But, parity has come over the years as there are just so many more good athletes (not necessarily better players, but it does make a difference ).

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Chance to tie second longest MU home winning streak this weekend
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2013, 11:58:00 AM »
Updated

27 games  2012 to current  Coach Buzz Williams

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2013, 12:03:44 PM »
I would agree.

The interesting thing about the 28 game streak in the 2000's is Louisville.  We lost to Louisville in triple OT before starting that win streak.  Louisville also ended the streak in 2003 when they were ranked #2 in the nation, MU lost 77-74.  If MU wins that second game, the streak would have run to 41 games.  If MU had won the first Louisville game and the second one, the streak extends to 44 games.  Basically what I'm saying is MU won 40 of 41 home games at one point, and 43 of 45.

ND ended MU's 81 game home winning streak in 1973.  If we had won that game against the Irish the streak would have hit 100 before losing game 101 at home to Creighton in 1974.  At one point Al's teams in the late 60's and into the 70's won 151 out of 158 home games.  Talk about ridiculous home court advantage. 
Al and the Warriors ruled the Arena back in the day. Ahh...the good old days. Nostalgia is most often good.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Chance to tie second longest MU home winning streak this weekend
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2013, 12:08:27 PM »
Updated

27 games  2012 to current  Coach Buzz Williams

2001-03 was Conference USA, not the Big East. Also, no Ohio States like this Saturday. No comparison.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2013, 12:31:43 PM »
2001-03 was Conference USA, not the Big East. Also, no Ohio States like this Saturday. No comparison.

Correct that they played in two different conferences. To say no comparison, on the whole not as good certainly, though will find that mostly because of the bottom part of the conference.   Is the Big East better, of course.  Is the 2012 Big East the same as the 2005 Big East or 2007 Big East...nope.  Different years, different quality.

No teams like Ohio State...LOL.  Ok.  Wake Forest (the Skip Prosser version...top 15 version), Wisconsin, top 5 Cincinnati, Louisville, etc....that was during an era when DePaul actually looked like a basketball program.

Both streaks had very good teams in there and both streaks had some absolute clunkers.

I guess we should belittle Al's 81 game win streak, after all that was when freshmen couldn't play, 15 scholarships meant many fewer "quality" programs and as an independent we got to pick and choose who we played.   Let's start a campaign to dilute that achievement.  ::)

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2013, 12:55:04 PM »
I love how people thought we'd play only November cupcakes.

IF we get past Ohio State, it does open up.  Buzz could run this thing to 34 before Nova comes here in late January.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

wojosdojo

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2013, 01:25:53 PM »
Lets hope Saturdays streak doesn't end like Crean's did.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=V7mmXq-ERAE

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2013, 01:49:32 PM »
PROTECT THE HOUSE!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2013, 01:51:36 PM »
Correct that they played in two different conferences. To say no comparison, on the whole not as good certainly, though will find that mostly because of the bottom part of the conference.   Is the Big East better, of course.  Is the 2012 Big East the same as the 2005 Big East or 2007 Big East...nope.  Different years, different quality.

No teams like Ohio State...LOL.  Ok.  Wake Forest (the Skip Prosser version...top 15 version), Wisconsin, top 5 Cincinnati, Louisville, etc....that was during an era when DePaul actually looked like a basketball program.

Both streaks had very good teams in there and both streaks had some absolute clunkers.

I guess we should belittle Al's 81 game win streak, after all that was when freshmen couldn't play, 15 scholarships meant many fewer "quality" programs and as an independent we got to pick and choose who we played.   Let's start a campaign to dilute that achievement.  ::)

Ranked teams beaten:

2001-03: 1
2011-present:5
Al's 81 game streak: lots more than 5

No need to dilute anything. Facts are what the facts are.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2013, 01:59:32 PM »
That was not a great UND team. They lost their first 6 games before finally beating KU. Their first six games was a cupcake schedule that went Michigan, Ohio State, SLU, Indiana, UCLA, and Kentucky. It eased up in Game 7 when they beat Kansas. They limped into the Arena with a 2-6 record and upsetting Marquette. That team had Brokaw and Shumate and not much else. I think they actually had a couple guys from the football team playing basketball. Things changed the next year when Dantley showed up and UND's program turned around.
I think the same player, Dwight Clay, was responsible for ending Marquette's streak, and, in the next year, UCLA's 88 game winning streak.

StateStreetMission

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2013, 04:35:48 PM »
He was known as Dwight "ice man" Clay.  He hit the jumper from the right corner as time ran out.
The game was played over the holiday break so there was not the usual student attendance at the game.
There was no internet or cable in the old days  and National TV coverage of college basketball was not so great.
I remember waiting for the sports segment of the local NYC news  to in to get the final.
They showed  some game highlights that ended with a clip of the shot by Clay.
The streak was over and I was left with a sick feeling in my stomach.

feedback