Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 07:21:10 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by MU82
[Today at 06:39:26 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Herman Cain
[Today at 06:05:09 PM]

NBA green room by Skatastrophy
[Today at 03:09:36 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:42:15 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by We R Final Four
[Today at 11:50:43 AM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [MJS Blog] Trent Lockett heating up  (Read 3662 times)

MJS_Says

[MJS Blog] Trent Lockett heating up
« on: February 01, 2013, 04:45:04 PM »
Trent Lockett heating up

It's taken more than half the season, but Trent Lockett has finally adjusted to the pace of play by Marquette and the Big East.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/189440991.html

Sunbelt15

• All American
Re: [MJS Blog] Trent Lockett heating up
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 04:51:14 PM »
Won't agree until consistent Arizona State stats are seen.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 04:54:14 PM »
Arizona St did not have as many good players as MU does, so you should not expect his stats to be as good as they were at Arizona.

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 05:05:27 PM »
Arizona St did not have as many good players as MU does, so you should not expect his stats to be as good as they were at Arizona.

Just thought he would be a more talented scorer. The player that's really showing maturity is Mr. Juan "The Matrix" Anderson. I Salute.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 07:28:23 PM »
Won't agree until consistent Arizona State stats are seen.

This guy has made some really, really solid posts.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 07:56:03 PM »
Just thought he would be a more talented scorer. The player that's really showing maturity is Mr. Juan "The Matrix" Anderson. I Salute.
Not with Davante and Blue in double figures every game. If he scores 8 pts and 6 or more rebounds he is doing great and he is close to that 7.4 ppg and 5+ rpg. Like Buzz says all he needs is to "stop doing those bone-head plays".
Goal is National Championship

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 08:09:52 PM »
If Jamil made the jump to the 15-7 guy that he has the ability to be, and Mayo became an 8 ppg guy, this team goes deep in March. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 08:27:01 PM »
If Jamil made the jump to the 15-7 guy that he has the ability to be, and Mayo became an 8 ppg guy, this team goes deep in March. 

We would average about 90 ppg then. Maybe they could be those guys on other teams, but they don't get that many looks on a team this deep when they're the 4th or 5th and 6th options.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 10:56:49 AM »
The guy I am really impressed with is Steve Taylor. He is going to be a good one.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 11:12:09 AM »
The guy I am really impressed with is Steve Taylor. He is going to be a good one.

Yep. He has the same early statistical indicators as Jimmy Butler, with an extra year and the frame to max out at Butler's level or higher. Sky's the limit for Taylor, and he picked the perfect program to showcase his skills. Really excited to watch him develop.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 11:14:28 AM »
Just thought he would be a more talented scorer.

1. Scoring is only part of basketball.
2. If he hasn't lived up to your "thoughts," perhaps it was your thoughts that are the issue.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 11:28:21 AM »

2. If he hasn't lived up to your "thoughts," perhaps it was your thoughts that are the issue.
it hasn't been the scoring that has disappointed me with lockett, but the way marquette has been scoring the ball i think you could make the argument in the direction that an opportunity for him to score more does exist.  buzz' offense also allows anyone capable of scoring to do so. 

the most disappointing thing to me about lockett has been the simple mistakes he's made...bad turnovers, losing his man on defense, fouling in very poor times, etc.  i never imagined it would take him this long to stop doing things i wouldn't epect from a mature college graduate.  that said, the last few games have been better in those areas.

i think it speaks a lot to the level of mu basketball.  i don't believe an mu player would see the same difficulties in transferring to arizona st.

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 04:50:15 PM »

With the time Lockett logs, 5 points and 8 rebounds per doesn't make him deserving. Love his chemistry with the team but will trade his current stats for more steals, points, or offensive rebounds (second chance points), considering his floor time.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2013, 05:11:42 PM »
With the time Lockett logs, 5 points and 8 rebounds per doesn't make him deserving.

Not sure what this means.  Who should get Lockett's minutes?  I understand expectations were high for him but when I hear things like "deserving" I think there must be an obvious choice of replacement for his 25+ mpg.

Mayo would be the likely candidate but Buzz has decided to play Mayo 16mpg.  So Buzz must see Trent as someone who "deserves" more minutes right now.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2013, 05:18:29 PM »
With the time Lockett logs, 5 points and 8 rebounds per doesn't make him deserving. Love his chemistry with the team but will trade his current stats for more steals, points, or offensive rebounds (second chance points), considering his floor time.

Third in steals...fourth in assists...second in rebounding...

The only thing he isn't doing is scoring. 

Seriously, this team is playing very well right now.  And you are questioning the line-up?

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2013, 05:26:21 PM »

better individual stats on a crappier team with a very crappy record >>> marginally less impressive individual stats on a way better team with a much better record. 

IMPUNABLE INTERNET MESSAGE BOARD POSTER LOGIC!!

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2013, 06:07:07 PM »

Seriously, this team is playing very well right now.  And you are questioning the line-up?

Nope. I'm cool with the line-up, just not that hot on Lockett. As long as they're winning, I'm happy. Would like to see more Juan.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2013, 06:37:48 PM »

The 4 spot is gonna be super deep next year.  Jamil, Steve, Jameel, Juan.  I can see a lot more of a traditional PG, SG, F,F, C lineup next year instead of 3 guard sets.  Honestly, if Jamil plays more like did at the second half of last year... that's probably the toughest group of guys we've had inside in a long, long time.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2013, 06:39:55 PM »
The 4 spot is gonna be super deep next year.  Jamil, Steve, Jameel, Juan.  I can see a lot more of a traditional PG, SG, F,F, C lineup next year instead of 3 guard sets.  Honestly, if Jamil plays more like did at the second half of last year... that's probably the toughest group of guys we've had inside in a long, long time.

I think you are going to see exactly that.  Start Otule, Jamil, Juan, Vander and Derrick.  Taylor, McKay come off the bench.  Huge team.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2013, 07:01:15 PM »

I also thought Lockett would be more talented. And I also have been pleasantly surprised by Anderson. However ...

Lockett is outscoring Anderson in points per minute .276 to .243. Anderson has a very slight edge in rebounds and assists per minute. In other words, they are very close statistically, yet one is considered a disappointment while the other is considered a revelation.

Only Vander and Junior play more minutes than Lockett, and Junior is only a few minutes ahead. There is a reason Buzz plays Lockett as much as he does -- and it's not because Buzz is a bad coach, because we know he isn't. Those of us who aren't obsessed with scoring have seen the reasons, especially in recent weeks. Lockett is not great at anything but he does a lot of things quite well. A coach finds great comfort in that.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2013, 06:42:26 AM »

Yup. Really big team. If Taylor keeps developing and Jameel comes I. Ready to log minutes right away, I think the 3 and the 4 might become fairly interchangeable with The four you mentioned getting minutes at the 4 and both Jamil and Juan getting some time at the 3 (although Juan's foot speed needs to continue to improve for that to happen)