[Today at 05:10:01 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by Hards Alumni
[Today at 05:06:39 PM]

Oso (and Stevie) by JakeBarnes
[Today at 02:42:16 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MU82
[Today at 01:56:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Telep’s Top 10: 2013 sleeper recruits (Jajuan)  (Read 9527 times)

The Equalizer

• All American
Re: Telep’s Top 10: 2013 sleeper recruits (Jajuan)
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2013, 02:50:55 PM »

He's shooting up the rankings, at #31 in Scout's most recent publishing - borderline 5 star material.  He's gonna be really good fit for us.

Scout also rated Embiid #61 in their most update.  That one makes my heart hurt.  Would have taken an already amazing class to a surefire title contender.

Actually, the summer RSCI (dated 9/16/12) already listed him at #31 in Scout. So he's holding steady.

Meanwhile, so your head doens't hurt quite as much--Vander Blue was rated as high as #24 out of HS and Jamil Wilson #23 (both Rivals final ranking).  If those players haven't turned us into a "surefire title contender", #31 Johnson and #61 Embiid wouldn't either.  We'd be a pretty good team, but our path to a title is going to require a lucky break or two. 

Not a Crean hater at all.  I only added to the TC comments because if the Iman comparisons.  I think questioning TC's recruiting at MU is valid.  Very inconsistent.

It wasn't just Iman--Watford was another that wouldn't play at MU.

Buzz hasn't broken that same recruiting ceiling, either.  He may very well come to the same conclusion as Crean if he goes hard but misses out on Stone and Looney--especially given the advantage that they're local.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2013, 03:02:49 PM »
Yeah I know that's what they say. But Tom Crean also left for a historically better program. One of the best programs in the history of Men's College Basketball. He didn't just leave to get out of town at the first phone call because Iman passed on Marquette. If Iman had committed and IU still had come calling Crean would have been at IU and taken Iman with him. Or left him behind if Iman chose that route.

This.
The whole "Crean left because he couldn't land Shumpert" thing is overplayed. It's not as if Shumpert were first highly touted prospect Crean recruited hard but didn't land (Butch, Fraser, Scheyer, etc.)
Crean left because Indiana missed on its first couple coaching targets and then offered him the job. If Indiana had landed Tony Bennett or Sean Miller, Crean might still be at Marquette.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 03:11:58 PM by Pakuni »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2013, 03:04:50 PM »
Actually, the summer RSCI (dated 9/16/12) already listed him at #31 in Scout. So he's holding steady.

Meanwhile, so your head doens't hurt quite as much--Vander Blue was rated as high as #24 out of HS and Jamil Wilson #23 (both Rivals final ranking).  If those players haven't turned us into a "surefire title contender", #31 Johnson and #61 Embiid wouldn't either.  We'd be a pretty good team, but our path to a title is going to require a lucky break or two. 

One guy (a Blue or a Wilson for example) does not a recruiting class make.

Had we signed Embid, this year's class would have included four 4* high school seniors and a likely first team juco AA. Better still, it would be balanced (PG, C, PF, 2 switchables). That gives you a much better shot than one or two 4* guys a year.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2013, 03:23:20 PM »

Had we signed Embid, this year's class would have included four 4* high school seniors and a likely first team juco AA. Better still, it would be balanced (PG, C, PF, 2 switchables). That gives you a much better shot than one or two 4* guys a year.

More balanced definitely.  But wasn't there some article a year or 2 ago about how only like 1 team in forever has won a National Championship without a McD's All American on its roster?  4 stars make a consistent, competitive team program, but not a National Champion team.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2013, 03:34:31 PM »
So, how about that Jajuan Johnson kid?  I hear he's pretty good!

Please, stick to the off-topic of Crean or start your own JJ thread.
No Finish Line

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2013, 04:37:51 PM »

A good class--but not a "surefire title contender"--at least not for 3 or 4 years. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2013, 04:58:09 PM »
A good class--but not a "surefire title contender"--at least not for 3 or 4 years.  

Not a sure fire title contender, but on paper the best MU class in more than 30 years. If it only turns out good (borderline top 25 every year and only a couple of NCAA wins in 4 years ala the 3 amigos) I (and most Scoopers, I suspect) will be disappointed - and that's without Embid.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 05:01:59 PM by Lennys Tap »

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2013, 05:54:04 PM »
It's too bad that writers on this board are often cynical and sarcastic and/or negative about MU basketball. 

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2013, 06:16:52 PM »
More balanced definitely.  But wasn't there some article a year or 2 ago about how only like 1 team in forever has won a National Championship without a McD's All American on its roster?  4 stars make a consistent, competitive team program, but not a National Champion team.

Maryland in 2002
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

QuetteHoops

• Starter
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2013, 07:02:43 PM »

I think that might be changing with the State of college basketball though. With some of the runs that we've seen to the final 4 by the likes of George Mason, VCU, Butler x2. There is so much more parity in college basketball and the one and done rule has completely changed the way teams are built. I wouldn't be surprised to see more teams without McD's AA to start winning championships.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2013, 07:27:09 PM »

It wasn't just Iman--Watford was another that wouldn't play at MU.

Buzz hasn't broken that same recruiting ceiling, either.  He may very well come to the same conclusion as Crean if he goes hard but misses out on Stone and Looney--especially given the advantage that they're local.

So if Buzz doesnt land on one kid who is being recruited by the likes of Coach K and the other is ranked #1 at his position IN THE COUNTRY.....Buzz can't make it here? Got it.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2013, 08:14:55 PM »
Not a sure fire title contender, but on paper the best MU class in more than 30 years. If it only turns out good (borderline top 25 every year and only a couple of NCAA wins in 4 years ala the 3 amigos) I (and most Scoopers, I suspect) will be disappointed - and that's without Embid.

Exactly my point.  You should have stopped there and simply said you agree.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2013, 08:28:58 PM »
Exactly my point.  You should have stopped there and simply said you agree.

Don't be so greedy. Celebrate when someone even partially agrees with you. It doesn't happen often.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2013, 08:34:06 PM »

Thank you. I'm not talking JJJ and Embijd in a vacuum. To add to what you said Steve Taylor & Juan Anderson as seasoned vets. And I'm not talking just next year either, I meant at some point in their careers. As is, I think this group has E8/FF potential. Add a guy like Stone or a stud JUCO center to the mix and they have no ceiling. Not only are they all extremely talented, but their skill sets are diverse and they fit the current/future roster like a glove and fit Buzz' system perfectly.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2013, 09:33:08 PM »
Thank you. I'm not talking JJJ and Embijd in a vacuum. To add to what you said Steve Taylor & Juan Anderson as seasoned vets. And I'm not talking just next year either, I meant at some point in their careers. As is, I think this group has E8/FF potential. Add a guy like Stone or a stud JUCO center to the mix and they have no ceiling. Not only are they all extremely talented, but their skill sets are diverse and they fit the current/future roster like a glove and fit Buzz' system perfectly.

I see you've walked back "surefire title contender" down to "E8/FF potential at some point in their careers". 

That's hedging things just a bit. ;)

Perhaps you recognized that as good as our class is, its only ranked 13th on ESPN right now.  There will likely be 20 or teams--possibly more--with similar talent levels coupled with equal and/or better returning talent. 

Not to mention the handful of teams  (UK, Florida, Duke, Memphis, UNC, Kansas, Michigan, Ohio State, Arizona, and IU) which will probably have more/better talent. 

If we want to get over the hump and be taken as a serious contender, it will take landing a player or two like Stone--which you seem to recognize now as well.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2013, 09:33:56 PM »
Don't be so greedy. Celebrate when someone even partially agrees with you. It doesn't happen often.

Yay. :D

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2013, 09:59:51 PM »
Thought Crean was turning a corner after barely missing out on a Sweet Sixteen.   Had the three amigos coming back too.  The inability to land the elite big man must have frustrated him.    Seeing this trend continue with Buzz is concerning.   Hopefully McKay gets in and if we can get Stone and/or Looney this could be the start of an amazing run and give Buzz the confidence that he can stay and win big at MU.  

Wilson
Burton
J. Johnson
McKay
Looney
Stone
Taylor

:o

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2013, 10:08:11 PM »
Thought Crean was turning a corner after barely missing out on a Sweet Sixteen.   Had the three amigos coming back too.  The inability to land the elite big man must have frustrated him.    Seeing this trend continue with Buzz is concerning.   Hopefully McKay gets in and if we can get Stone and/or Looney this could be the start of an amazing run and give Buzz the confidence that he can stay and win big at MU.  

Wilson
Burton
J. Johnson
McKay
Looney
Stone
Taylor

At this point, no one can say for certain that Looney isn't coming to MU.  Still, If anyone wants to bet, I'll put down anything that I can scrape together that he goes elsewhere.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 10:29:35 PM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2013, 10:24:55 PM »
At this point, no one can say for certain that Looney isn't coming to MU.  Still, If anyone wants to bet, I put down anything that I can scrape together that he goes elsewhere.

4ever never speaks with forked tongue, so I'd say we're a long shot.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2013, 11:42:03 PM »
Looney is coming to MU as is Stone for the Milwaukee kids taking on the rest of the NCAA, that would be pretty interesting!  5 potential Milwaukee starters!

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2013, 04:59:38 AM »
Thought Crean was turning a corner after barely missing out on a Sweet Sixteen.   Had the three amigos coming back too.  The inability to land the elite big man must have frustrated him.    Seeing this trend continue with Buzz is concerning.   Hopefully McKay gets in and if we can get Stone and/or Looney this could be the start of an amazing run and give Buzz the confidence that he can stay and win big at MU.  

Wilson
Burton
J. Johnson
McKay
Looney
Stone
Taylor

A little TWITTAAAAAAAAAAA TRACKAAAAAAA re: Jameel.

Brad Winton ‏@JucoRecruiting
@PeterAlford love him. Big time motor/energy. Rebounds it very well, finishes around the rim
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2013, 05:07:41 AM »
Looney is coming to MU as is Stone for the Milwaukee kids taking on the rest of the NCAA, that would be pretty interesting!  5 potential Milwaukee starters!

McKay is coming in as a junior. He'll be gone by the time Stone arrives. And like others, I think Looney is highly unlikely.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2013, 07:42:59 AM »
For the love of God I hope he shows or Buzz might pull a Crean and bolt

Also posted Butler beats #9 Butler.  I remember my first beer!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2013, 09:34:25 AM »
4ever never speaks with forked tongue, so I'd say we're a long shot.

Just been repeatin' what I've been told directly. Then again, absolutely no one has a source more credible than mine.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2013, 09:38:42 AM »
McKay is coming in as a junior. He'll be gone by the time Stone arrives. And like others, I think Looney is highly unlikely.

It is all about selling the Milwaukee kids to stay home, Wilson and Burton are the key to doing that, kids recruit as well as the coach.  Al always did that, Chones and Lucas went
down to recruit Bo Ellis.  Hopefully this summer, they play lots of hoops at the Al.

feedback