[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [MJS Blog] Marquette third in Big East home attendance  (Read 3427 times)

MJS_Says

[MJS Blog] Marquette third in Big East home attendance
« on: January 26, 2013, 12:15:04 PM »
Marquette third in Big East home attendance

Before Saturday's home game against Providence, the Golden Eagles were averaging 14,163 in announced attendance at the BMO Harris Bradley Center.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/188488191.html

g0lden3agle

• All American
Re: [MJS Blog] Marquette third in Big East home attendance
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 12:19:54 PM »
Attendance numbers are generally tickets sold correct?  If so, how are student tickets handled?  Do they count the number that are scanned in each game, or is the total number of fanatics tickets that was sold counted towards each games attendance number?

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 04:51:00 PM »
It's tickets sold for students as well.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 08:14:50 AM »
First, both Syracuse and Louisville have good teams this year. Second, they play in facilities where they are the only game in town. Third, even if we sold out every game we still would be third. Sure, we would like to fill those seats, but we are doing just fine, especially in a city who is polite to us but does not really embrace us like they do UW.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 08:34:35 AM »
I read the little blog to suggest (to your points) that it is impressive that we are third, not a slight on us that we are third.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 09:00:28 AM »
Yesterday's attendance was announced at 15,140.  I took a quick look at the attendance last year through this date and while I didn't do the math, it would seem that we're on a similar pace.  Average attendance will no doubt climb through the rest of the year but I wonder if we'll be able to surpass 15,000 on average notwithstanding the home game with Wisconsin. 

Tough economic times for sure.  If I were MU, I'd work hard to keep ticket prices (and required B/G donations) down in the upper bowl especially.  Warriorchick and I became season ticket holders only 4 years ago when MU decided to do the $99 season ticket 'special'.  We've since moved to good seats but that deal is what got us in the building from here in metro Chicago.  Larry, it's supply and demand my good man. 'Give' your product away at a friendly price and families will come to realize it's a great time for a good value and come back. 

(PS. Very good move dropping the student ticket price back to $99 again.  Don't mess with THAT happy.  Keep it there essentially forever and if 3000 grows to 3500, be happy. Kids are what make the building fun.)

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 10:02:44 AM »
[quote author=jsglow link=topic=35708.msg443974#msg443974 date=

Warriorchick and I became season ticket holders only 4 years ago when MU decided to do the $99 season ticket 'special'.  We've since moved to good seats but that deal is what got us in the building from here in metro Chicago.
[/quote]

Similar story here.  After 25 years of going to the DePaul game in Chicago and one (sometimes two) games in Milwaukee, we bought a 5 pack this year, and, based on that, we will be looking to move to better seats next year.  And as the kids go off to college, whether MU or not, we'll be coming to more games.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 10:29:33 AM »
I read the little blog to suggest (to your points) that it is impressive that we are third, not a slight on us that we are third.

My point is that if the Milwaukee community embraced Marquette the way both Syracuse and Louisville embrace their local University our attendance may be up as well. If Creighton joins the new league I hope Milwaukee will support us the way Omaha supports them.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 10:40:12 AM by muwarrior69 »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 10:33:52 AM »
Attendance numbers are generally tickets sold correct?  If so, how are student tickets handled?  Do they count the number that are scanned in each game, or is the total number of fanatics tickets that was sold counted towards each games attendance number?

Attendance is tickets sold + tickets given away.  It is not a paid attendance number, but a total number of tickets issued.

DiaperDandy

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 10:41:13 AM »
[quote author=jsglow link=topic=35708.msg443974#msg443974 date=

Warriorchick and I became season ticket holders only 4 years ago when MU decided to do the $99 season ticket 'special'.  We've since moved to good seats but that deal is what got us in the building from here in metro Chicago.

Similar story here.  After 25 years of going to the DePaul game in Chicago and one (sometimes two) games in Milwaukee, we bought a 5 pack this year, and, based on that, we will be looking to move to better seats next year.  And as the kids go off to college, whether MU or not, we'll be coming to more games.

Same goes for me.  I live in NY but cant pass up the $99 (now $125) season tickets.  I only make it to one or two games a year in Milwaukee, yet I get the chance to purchase away game tickets as well as postseason tickets.  For $300 a year, I see it as a donation to the athletic department with the perk of getting tickets!

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 12:25:18 PM »
Attendance is tickets sold + tickets given away.  It is not a paid attendance number, but a total number of tickets issued.
Marquette doesn't give tickets away anymore. That ended that about 4 years ago. That is correct through.  ;)
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 12:29:36 PM »
It's tough to get attendance in Milwaukee. Many sports teams to go see. Not a lot dollar to go around. Bucks, Marquette, Admirals, Wave, Panthers, Badgers, womens teams. Some save there money for the Brewers in the summer.
-Bill Walton

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 12:31:29 PM »
Same goes for me.  I live in NY but cant pass up the $99 (now $125) season tickets.  I only make it to one or two games a year in Milwaukee, yet I get the chance to purchase away game tickets as well as postseason tickets.  For $300 a year, I see it as a donation to the athletic department with the perk of getting tickets!

I'd personally go back to $99 in the south end zone.  There's magic in that number.  We'd sit in our assigned seats during popular BEast games and 'cheat around just a bit' when we were playing the Little Sisters of the Poor.  I'd personally extend the $99 section into each corner on the south end.  

Again, we're asking folks to come sample our product.  Many MU families within a 2 hour drive might consider it if the season ticket financial sacrifice is viewed as 'no big deal'.  Some may stay in the 'cheap seats', some may upgrade over the years.  The key is that MU successfully reached out to a Marquette family in Chicago who was willing to eat tickets for games we just couldn't get to when our kids were younger.  That market is huge, but has to be priced right.  

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 12:42:30 PM »
It's tough to get attendance in Milwaukee. Many sports teams to go see. Not a lot dollar to go around. Bucks, Marquette, Admirals, Wave, Panthers, Badgers, womens teams. Some save there money for the Brewers in the summer.

The Panthers are a great example.  Real tough draw with a student body that doesn't typically remain too loyal after they graduate.  How they doing attendance wise back on campus this year?

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 12:51:07 PM »
The Panthers are a great example.  Real tough draw with a student body that doesn't typically remain too loyal after they graduate.  How they doing attendance wise back on campus this year?
Attendance is down.
Many reasons for that. No Butler & Wisconsin on the home schedule, like it was in the 2011-12 season.
The team is really bad this season. 5-16
No beer sale, like at the US Cell.
-Bill Walton

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2013, 01:04:14 PM »
Marquette doesn't give tickets away anymore. That ended that about 4 years ago. That is correct through.  ;)

I would be stunned if they aren't still giving some tickets away.  It may not be a lot, but there are always comp tickets.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2013, 01:09:14 PM »
Attendance is effected by the public perception of how good the team is. Not being ranked hurts attendance. Also, MU was not expected to be as good as last year, because of the loss of Crowder and DJO. The Journal Sentinel does not publish any articles that stimulate fan attendance including good postgame articles.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2013, 01:40:48 PM »
I would be stunned if they aren't still giving some tickets away.  It may not be a lot, but there are always comp tickets.
I went to a tour about 3 years ago, they said they stopped doing the comp tickets.

I told them they should do really cheap school group deals for kids for non-conference games during the week. They did not answer me, when I said it.  :-\
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2013, 01:44:25 PM »
Attendance is effected by the public perception of how good the team is. Not being ranked hurts attendance. Also, MU was not expected to be as good as last year, because of the loss of Crowder and DJO. The Journal Sentinel does not publish any articles that stimulate fan attendance including good postgame articles.
I hope that is not the case, but I think you are right.  TV & radio don't know how to talk other sports up, other than the Packers. Rod Burks on TMJ4 sucks. Jen Lada is garbage on Fox6. Homer on ESPN 540 doesn't talk college hoops on his show. At least WSSP 1250 talks about it, but there facts are wrong.
-Bill Walton

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2013, 02:57:38 PM »

Of course.  And it's such a joy to watch an over performing team like Lazar's Senior year or the team lead by Jimmy B. or frankly possibly this year's team.  Look, for $125 (should be $99 Larry) one could have seen the great JC 3 against UConn and the Bat game as well as a remarkable effort against GTown.  And that's only so far.  Every conference game has been exciting.  Even the non-con matchups was quite fun with pressure games against LSU for example.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2013, 04:20:15 PM »

I went to yesterday's game on 4 comp tickets from the alumni department.