Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: ND/G-town postgame  (Read 7892 times)

tower912

• All American
ND/G-town postgame
« on: January 21, 2013, 08:34:28 PM »
Jay Williams just called MU the biggest sleeper in the Big East.    Believes they have every chance of being near the top all season. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

🏀

• All American
Re: ND/G-town postgame
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 08:43:01 PM »
Near the top, but not in the upper echelon with Cuse and Louisville.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 08:47:25 PM »
Near the top, but not in the upper echelon with Cuse and Louisville.

For a team that lost 2 pros and was picked to finish 8th I for one would be ecstatic with near the top.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 08:50:53 PM »
For a team that lost 2 pros and was picked to finish 8th I for one would be ecstatic with near the top.

Just what they said.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 08:52:26 PM »
Also big fans of ...Buzz....Blue....Gardner and Otule.... said if MU hits enough jump shots....
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 08:55:26 PM »
Keep on winning the games we are supposed to and we can finish in the top 5 of the BE. Win a couple on the road and its even better from there.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 09:05:58 PM »
Maybe I'm getting greedy, but I'll be disappointed if we don't get a double bye. I think MU is better than all teams not named Syracuse and Louisville, and about even with Cincinnati.

Top 4 should be the goal, in my opinion
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 10:30:16 PM by MUEagle1090 »

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 10:09:11 PM »
With 15 teams, what is the big east tournament format this year?

JTBMU7

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 10:22:17 PM »
14 teams since uconn isn't eligible. Schedule is posted here
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=35446.0

TJ

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 10:52:23 PM »
I don't want to sound like too much of a pessimist, but we are wildly inconsistent.  I hope we stay up near the top, but I honestly believe that we are just as likely to lose as win almost every game going forward.  Scoring 13 points in a half kinda drove that message home for me, no matter how well they rebounded in the second half.  I hope that's just chicken little talking and this team just keeps winning.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 11:09:21 PM »
I don't want to sound like too much of a pessimist, but we are wildly inconsistent.  I hope we stay up near the top, but I honestly believe that we are just as likely to lose as win almost every game going forward.  Scoring 13 points in a half kinda drove that message home for me, no matter how well they rebounded in the second half.  I hope that's just chicken little talking and this team just keeps winning.

+1.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 11:14:36 PM »

"Inconsistent" is the word that nay-saying fans of every top 25 team use to describe their team.  The only D-I teams that have been consistent this year are those that are consistently bad.

It doesn't matter how well you play the game or how good you look... the only thing that matters is what the scoreboard says when the clock hits 0:00.  Just ask Gonzaga.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 11:40:02 PM »
Look at ND's schedule to date. They were 14-1 with only two wins against good teams -- and one of those was against a Kentucky team that obviously was overrated at the time. Now that their schedule has gotten just a little tougher -- and only a little, as UConn, St. John's, Rutgers and Georgetown can hardly be called great -- the Irish have wilted.

Notre Dame ... I'm not impressed with them at all.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TJ

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 12:10:13 AM »
"Inconsistent" is the word that nay-saying fans of every top 25 team use to describe their team.  The only D-I teams that have been consistent this year are those that are consistently bad.

It doesn't matter how well you play the game or how good you look... the only thing that matters is what the scoreboard says when the clock hits 0:00.  Just ask Gonzaga.
I don't know what to tell you.  The defense has been great so far, but I'm not sure what would happen against a really good shooting team that can make open threes.  We don't have a good offense - it hasn't looked good for more than small stretches of any conference game so far.  Call me a nay-sayer if you want, but I could see us just as easily finishing with 10 or 11 wins as I can see us with 12 or 13.  I'm glad they have been winning, I hope it continues.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 05:48:07 AM »
I don't know what to tell you.  The defense has been great so far, but I'm not sure what would happen against a really good shooting team that can make open threes.  We don't have a good offense - it hasn't looked good for more than small stretches of any conference game so far.  Call me a nay-sayer if you want, but I could see us just as easily finishing with 10 or 11 wins as I can see us with 12 or 13.  I'm glad they have been winning, I hope it continues.

Keep in mind, to be fair to MU...according to Pomeroy MU has faced the toughest Defensive schedule in the country so far. That might have a lot to do with it. In Cincy, Pittsburgh, and Georgetown you have the 12th, 21st and 10th ranked Defensive teams in the country. That's pretty tough. Wait until MU plays Syracuse(7th), and Louisville(1st). It's no wonder MU's offense has looked ugly so far.

http://kenpom.com/[url]

“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 06:43:46 AM »
Lot of basketball yet to be played. Glad we are getting some attention and hope it continues. Every game will be tough for us and if mentally tough enough things will be good.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 07:27:00 AM »
The defense has been great so far, but I'm not sure what would happen against a really good shooting team that can make open threes. 

I know what would happen.  Florida 82, Marquette 49.  Fortunately, there aren't many teams that are of Florida's quality this year.

Right now, its hard to say what we are.  The think I can say with some confidence that we're a team somewhere between 20th and 50th best in the country.  I hope we're closer to 20 than 50.   We are a very good defensive team, a very flawed offensive team, and an undeniably tough-willed team.  It seems we are destined to play a lot of close games and that our season's success will depend a lot on thins like a referee's call here, a clutch jumpshot there, etc.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 08:49:29 AM »
I don't want to sound like too much of a pessimist, but we are wildly inconsistent. 

Counterpoint - An average team in college basketball has a point spread standard deviation of 15. An inconsistent team has a point spread standard deviation of 22. Marquette's point spread standard deviation is 8.

/math
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 08:49:47 AM »

Duke, Michigan, Kansas, Syracuse, and Arizona have been pretty consistent. (Unless, of course, losing only once in two months is now considered inconsistent)

Not to mention the 10 teams that have lost only twice in two months which seems to be a fairly consistent pattern of winning.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2013, 08:55:24 AM »
I know what would happen.  Florida 82, Marquette 49.  Fortunately, there aren't many teams that are of Florida's quality this year.

Right now, its hard to say what we are.  The think I can say with some confidence that we're a team somewhere between 20th and 50th best in the country.  I hope we're closer to 20 than 50.   We are a very good defensive team, a very flawed offensive team, and an undeniably tough-willed team.  It seems we are destined to play a lot of close games and that our season's success will depend a lot on thins like a referee's call here, a clutch jumpshot there, etc.
+1  That's basically what I was trying to say.

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2013, 09:09:38 AM »
Counterpoint - An average team in college basketball has a point spread standard deviation of 15. An inconsistent team has a point spread standard deviation of 22. Marquette's point spread standard deviation is 8.

/math

3 games in overtime help lessen that point spread.

/numbersneedcontext

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2013, 09:10:37 AM »
Duke, Michigan, Kansas, Syracuse, and Arizona have been pretty consistent. (Unless, of course, losing only once in two months is now considered inconsistent)

Not to mention the 10 teams that have lost only twice in two months which seems to be a fairly consistent pattern of winning.

In this context, consistency is being used in reference to on-the-court play, not results.  Otherwise, I would inquire as to why you conveniently left Stephen F. Austin off your list of examples.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 09:17:56 AM »
My only hope for this year's team is to make the NCAAs to keep that string alive. The team is wildly inconsistent on offense but their grit and determination make up for it. I don't care how they do it, or if they look ugly doing it, just make that dance and everything after that is just gravy. This is a bridge year to get to the incoming recruits that should bolster the roster for Gardner, Blue, Anderson, J Wilson, D Wilson, and Taylor next year.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2013, 09:36:10 AM »
3 games in overtime help lessen that point spread.

/numbersneedcontext

And the blow out loss to Florida would increase that point spread standard deviation.  You could argue that the sample size isn't big enough as a whole to take much from statistics like point spread std. deviation, but calling out 3 data points and saying that shows context and lessens Warrior's Path's point shows misunderstanding of the statistics he generated. 

A better way to attack the stat is to question if a lower std. deviation is actually a good thing.  Sure, it means you are generally losing/winning by the same general numbers, but there needs to be some sort of weighting applied to factor in the quality of opponent.  A close win against a superior opponent and a close loss against an inferior opponent would show small point spread std. deviation, but you could make the valid point that the team was inconsistent.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2013, 09:41:13 AM »
A close win against a superior opponent and a close loss against an inferior opponent would show small point spread std. deviation, but you could make the valid point that the team was inconsistent.
I'm not going to start doing a statistical analysis of the team, but this is true.

feedback