[June 08, 2024, 07:03:51 PM]

And The New...... by Tyler COLEk
[June 08, 2024, 11:45:55 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Herman Cain
[June 08, 2024, 11:31:50 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MuggsyB
[June 08, 2024, 10:56:27 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz's Starters  (Read 3404 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Buzz's Starters
« on: January 20, 2013, 05:31:03 PM »
Buzz does not start his best five, the best five are the guys on the floor at the end of the game.

Why does he do this and who else does this?

LloydMooresLegs

Re: Buzz's Starters
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 05:44:20 PM »
Not that unusual to keep one of your better offensive players in reserve, but I think having 2 or 3 best to come in with the second unit is a bit unusual.  And it isn't just who finishes - it's minutes.  I don't have any quarrel w Buzz over his strategy (that sound you hear is buzz's relief) of going 10 deep and looking to win te end of the game when the opponent is tired and we are still relatively fresh.  All of that said, I would still start Ox (wouldnt change Chris's minutes- Ox needs the rest) and get the ball to him a few times early. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 05:45:23 PM »
He does it (A) to win the opening tip, (B) to let Otule soften up the opposing big for a few minutes (C) because DG effectiveness dwindles when he plays long consecutive minutes, (D) JWilson, like Crowder as a junior, commits stupid fouls and gets into early foul trouble, (E) he started out starting Lockett and likes the non-scoring things he does, (F) he isn't convinced the team would be better with Mayo starting over Lockett.

Stop worrying about who starts.   Minutes will be distributed by production and matchups.    
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 05:48:27 PM »
Not that unusual to keep one of your better offensive players in reserve, but I think having 2 or 3 best to come in with the second unit is a bit unusual.  And it isn't just who finishes - it's minutes.  I don't have any quarrel w Buzz over his strategy (that sound you hear is buzz's relief) of going 10 deep and looking to win te end of the game when the opponent is tired and we are still relatively fresh.  All of that said, I would still start Ox (wouldnt change Chris's minutes- Ox needs the rest) and get the ball to him a few times early. 

I wouldn't be too surprised to see some tinkering with the starters just as a way to avoid the slow starts the team has had on occasion.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 05:49:16 PM »
He does it (A) to win the opening tip, (B) to let Otule soften up the opposing big for a few minutes (C) because DG effectiveness dwindles when he plays long consecutive minutes, (D) JWilson, like Crowder as a junior, commits stupid fouls and gets into early foul trouble, (E) he started out starting Lockett and likes the non-scoring things he does, (F) he isn't convinced the team would be better with Mayo starting over Lockett.

Stop worrying about who starts.   Minutes will be distributed by production and matchups.    

Lockett this year = Vander last year?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 05:51:03 PM »

Part B) above is what I disagree with. If he wants Ox to have his minutes broken up and still play the same number or more minutes (an I agree with that) he should start.  Then get a rest.  Then come back in.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 05:59:00 PM »
Lml, do you want DG for the opening tip or do you want to see Otule go the way of Rod Grosse, taking the opening tip, disappearing at the first dead ball, and then only seeing spot action?    IMO, I would start Mayo for Lockett and leave everything else, but in Buzz I trust. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 06:00:11 PM »
I wouldn't be too surprised to see some tinkering with the starters just as a way to avoid the slow starts the team has had on occasion.

They start slow offensively, but outside of yesterday they don't start behind.  He starts a good defensive team.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 06:01:12 PM »

Lockett does do a lot of the things, like rebounding, that Vander did last year.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 06:05:43 PM »

Therefore, Lockett will be improved next season.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 07:21:07 PM »
Anyone remember Crean starting John Mueller every game his senior year?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 07:25:29 PM »
Therefore, Lockett will be improved next season.

I suppose that's good news for his NBADL or European team next year.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 08:31:21 PM »
Syracuse has done it quite often IIRC. They didn't start Waiters last year and he was a lottery pick.

http://www.nunesmagician.com/2012/3/5/2846496/big-east-awards-dion-waiters-sixth-man-fab-melo-defensive