[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Looney Offer  (Read 27763 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Looney Offer
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2013, 07:27:06 PM »
Kevon isn't going to come to MU. Diamond will have MU until the end in his choices.

Is he going to UW?

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2013, 07:40:25 PM »
Surprised at the lack of confidence and loyalty by some on this board.  Marquette has been a premier college basketball mecca for a long, long time.  Kevin would be a welcome part of that strong tradition.  MU has a long list of great players.  Not sure how Kevon would measure up to the long list of elite Marquette players.  But, please don't under estimate Marquette!

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2013, 07:42:51 PM »
I, for one, would offer up my imaginary girlfriend for an offer to hoop for Duke, UK, UNC, or Kansas. You only go around once in life, aina?

Look at Tokoto.  He went to the vaunted UNC.  Reality is he is 10th in minutes on an unranked team.  Unless McAdoo and Bullock come out early, its going to be hard to break in.   Further Andrew Wiggins, the nation's #1 ranked SF is considering UNC.

Basketball-wise, would he have been better off at UW or MU?

So, it is nice to get an offer from a true blue-blood.  But unless you are a truly special player, a player that will take time away from an established all-conference college player, think twice about attending.

Looney is early in his junior year and is ranked about the same place that Jamil Wilson was ranked the beginning of his junior year (end of Sophomore year).  

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2013, 07:43:10 PM »
Lets not be naive.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2013, 07:44:14 PM »
Surprised at the lack of confidence and loyalty by some on this board.  Marquette has been a premier college basketball mecca for a long, long time.  Kevin would be a welcome part of that strong tradition.  MU has a long list of great players.  Not sure how Kevon would measure up to the long list of elite Marquette players.  But, please don't under estimate Marquette!

thats not what loyalty means.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 07:46:39 PM by MUBurrow »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2013, 07:46:07 PM »
Look at Tokoto.  He went to the vaunted UNC.  Reality is he is 10th in minutes on an unranked team.  Unless McAdoo and Bullock come out early, its going to be hard to break in.   Further Andrew Wiggins, the nation's #1 ranked SF is considering UNC.

So, it is nice to get an offer from a true blue-blood.  But unless you are a truly special player, a player that will take time away from an established all-conference college player, think twice about attending.

Looney is early in his junior year and is ranked about the same place that Jamil Wilson was ranked the beginning of his junior year (end of Sophomore year).  

The final chapter has yet to written on Tokoto, and Looney, for that matter. Would you offer up the same logic with Steve Taylor. Maybe he shoulda gone to DePaul?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

gmhfordham1015

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2013, 07:48:19 PM »
If you could pick between getting Kevon or Stone who would it be?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2013, 07:48:42 PM »
Also, it's not a logical debate about one should do. Rather, it centers around what the student athlete wants to do.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2013, 07:50:10 PM »
I trust 4ever, I can take a hint and I can read between the lines on what this kid wants to do.  MU is a fine school with a fine basketball program.  Looney is a rare player that can do better.  That might irk some, but that's the way I see it.  He has big life goals that a more elite school and program can fulfill for him.  If he is offered those opportunities, he is a fool not to take them. 

I can certainly believe that it is very unlikely that he will go to MU.  And when you say he has big life goals that include an elite school (e.g., Duke), that makes sense, and I certainly respect that from a school stand point.  

What I'm not sure that I understand entirely is why everyone believes that Kentucky and Duke necessarily prepare you better for the NBA.  Is it because you get to practice every day against future NBA players?  Because when you look at NBA all-star talent level players, and see the non foreign non straight from HS guys like Wade (hmmm....), Durant, Griffin, Hardin, Love, CAnthony, most of them are from the big 4 (Duke, UNC, KY, KS).  

And then when you look to JButler, Wes and Jae, and the opportunities they have had, I really begin to wonder.

But what is it, other than perception, that leads one to believe that these elite bBall players will have a better chance to make the NBA coming from the big 4?  I think it must be very hard to measure because it is somewhat self-selecting-- the best HS players Dom go to those schools, so those schools get more players into the league.  But won't talent win out in the end no matter where from?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2013, 07:55:06 PM »
If you could pick between getting Kevon or Stone who would it be?

This team desparately needs a post presence. Remember, it's a big man's game. Don't know the fabric of Stone. Might be impeccable. Just am unfamiliar. Can tell you Kevon has not only has what it takes, but also support of a strong family structure. I know what you're getting with him. For that reason, I'd druder have Looney, particularly in Buzz' switchable offense. Good question, though.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2013, 07:55:06 PM »
Surprised at the lack of confidence and loyalty by some on this board.  Marquette has been a premier college basketball mecca for a long, long time.  Kevin would be a welcome part of that strong tradition.  MU has a long list of great players.  Not sure how Kevon would measure up to the long list of elite Marquette players.  But, please don't under estimate Marquette!

No one is debating that Kevon would be welcome, or that MU has a strong tradition.  It isn't any sort of lack of loyalty to suggest that he likely will not be coming here.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2013, 07:56:47 PM »
Also, it's not a logical debate about one should do. Rather, it centers around what the student athlete wants to do.

I agree it is about what Kevon wants to do.  But is he going to pick Duke (or another blue-blood) because he needs the validation that he is a great player.  Or is he going to a blue-blood because he truly believes he will start and lead them deep in the tourney.

My impression (which could be wrong) is Parker is going to Duke because he expects to starts and be their leading score my mid-season and Duke will put enough good players around him to go deep in the tourney.

By contrast, my impression (again it could be wrong) is Tokoto was impressed Roy selected him but did not have the same aspiration as Parker.  This is why he needed to make his decision live on TV, he needed the validation that he is good.  Duane Wilson, Denote Burton did not do this.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2013, 07:57:09 PM »

Who knows?  You really can't answer that question halfway through a freshman year.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2013, 08:01:43 PM »
Coach, style of play, and teammates will play very significant roles in Looney's college choice. That's a fact.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2013, 08:02:49 PM »

Who knows?  You really can't answer that question halfway through a freshman year.

True, but how many guys that are 10th in minutes that are playing behind tons of underclassman and have the #1 player at their position about to commit break through?

I'm talking about at blue-bloods like UNC, not MU.  

My answer is "not many" which is why these schools have tons of transfers.  When players see they are only going to be reserves, they transfer.  This is why I keep suggesting he might call Buzz (or Bo) later this spring about moving.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2013, 08:04:28 PM »

Agreed. I am in NC, and here a lot of positive comments about Tokoto. I would be surprised if he doesn't get a chance at significant minutes / starting spot in the next few years.

BTW AnotherMU84, McAdoo leaving early is a near certainty.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2013, 08:05:42 PM »

First, it's Kevon, not Kevin.  Second, MU was elite in the 1970's and has been very good in the 2000's...but not even the best in the state in the 2000's so we need to make sure we not put the blinders on.

I hope Buzz continues to go after him, which I expect nothing less.  MU is a fine school with a top 25 program.  There are some people, however, that are elite people and should go to top 5 programs only.  I would be shocked if he comes to MU and that is not a dis on MU, it's just the reality of the situation and the opportunity. 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2013, 08:09:52 PM »
Coach, style of play, and teammates will play very significant roles in Looney's college choice. That's a fact.

Yes, and with:

Sophomores
Duane Wilson
Denote Burton

Juniors
Steve Taylor
Jamal Ferguson

Seniors
Juan Anderson
Jaymeel McKay
Derrick Wilson
Todd Mayo

Add Looney and another decent player, and it is not a stretch that this is an elite 8 team.  Add Stone the next year and it is a FF team.

Looney can do this 15 minutes from home.  That has to get him thinking.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2013, 08:10:43 PM »
Everyone should just chillax until after the current high school season. Kevon will be narrowing his offers and formulating a list this Spring.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2013, 08:11:25 PM »
I can certainly believe that it is very unlikely that he will go to MU.  And when you say he has big life goals that include an elite school (e.g., Duke), that makes sense, and I certainly respect that from a school stand point.  

What I'm not sure that I understand entirely is why everyone believes that Kentucky and Duke necessarily prepare you better for the NBA.  Is it because you get to practice every day against future NBA players?  Because when you look at NBA all-star talent level players, and see the non foreign non straight from HS guys like Wade (hmmm....), Durant, Griffin, Hardin, Love, CAnthony, most of them are from the big 4 (Duke, UNC, KY, KS).  

And then when you look to JButler, Wes and Jae, and the opportunities they have had, I really begin to wonder.

But what is it, other than perception, that leads one to believe that these elite bBall players will have a better chance to make the NBA coming from the big 4?  I think it must be very hard to measure because it is somewhat self-selecting-- the best HS players Dom go to those schools, so those schools get more players into the league.  But won't talent win out in the end no matter where from?

Well, look at the numbers

Duke has 18 kinds currently in the NBA.  Kentucky has 21.  Marquette has 5.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2013, 08:13:53 PM »
Yes, and with:

Sophomores
Duane Wilson
Denote Burton

Juniors
Steve Taylor
Jamal Ferguson

Seniors
Juan Anderson
Jaymeel McKay
Derrick Wilson
Todd Mayo

Add Looney and another decent player, and it is not a stretch that this is an elite 8 team.  Add Stone the next year and it is a FF team.

Looney can do this 15 minutes from home.  That has to get him thinking.

You and I both know this. But, you're missing the thesis sentence. Kevon, the last I knew about it, point blank, has no issues going out of town for college. In fact, his family encourages it.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

honkytonk

• Team Captain
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2013, 08:14:26 PM »
True, but how many guys that are 10th in minutes that are playing behind tons of underclassman and have the #1 player at their position about to commit break through?

I'm talking about at blue-bloods like UNC, not MU.  

My answer is "not many" which is why these schools have tons of transfers.  When players see they are only going to be reserves, they transfer.  This is why I keep suggesting he might call Buzz (or Bo) later this spring about moving.

I dont think the blue bloods have a high amount of transfers, actually. In fact, they may have less than MU....

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2013, 08:14:57 PM »
I trust 4ever, like I said....except when he says college basketball is a big man's game.   ;D   It's a guard's game, always has been and always will be.  UNC can't get it done the last few years because their guards have been crap.  Same for UCLA.  Gots to have the smalls with balls.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2013, 08:15:36 PM »
Well, look at the numbers

Duke has 18 kinds currently in the NBA.  Kentucky has 21.  Marquette has 5.

Not to be picky but MU has 7 guys that have logged at least 1 minute in the NBA

Wade
Novak
Wes
Lazar
Butler
Jae
DJO

I believe this puts MU in the top 10 of players in the Association.  But your larger point is correct.

(and MU has three alumni as head coaches, Doc, Boylan and Franks.  That ranks MU second behind IU that has 4 alumni as coaches)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2013, 08:18:37 PM »
I dont think the blue bloods have a high amount of transfers, actually. In fact, they may have less than MU....

Not true, we had a post on this a while back, they have among the highest transfer rates around.  UNC had four transfers alone two years ago.  Not unusual for Duke to get two a year. 

When you recruit 9 McDonald AAs they are not going to stick around if they cannot play.

feedback